The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beware of bootleg copys from Amazon of Daryle Singletary CD
W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 8:28 pm    

Last week I ordered a copy of Daryle Singletary's new CD 'There's Still A Little Country Left' off of Amazon.
I got it and noticed there were no album notes, or track information on the CD or on the liner.
I called my pal in Nashville Greg Cole who engineered and produced the CD for Daryle and he said "man someone is selling bootleg copys of it".
This is BS because from one writer to another Daryle wrote some of the songs on the CD and his widow and family are being deprived of the writers and publishing rights they deserve.
Also tracks 11 and 12 are switched around and track 12 just says track 12 instead of the track information listed on the Amazon website.
Daryle Singletary was a friend of mine and some low life out there is ripping his family off.
If you order this CD please make sure it's the real deal with all the track information and players info on it.
If not, send it back to Amazon and report the copyright infringement like I did.
Thanks
WC Edgar
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 5:51 am    

I saw one on eBay last week that I was suspicious of as well. The seller said it was an "Amazon authorized reproduction," but didn't say much more than that.

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 8:37 am    

Something really fishy is going on with Amazon
My bootleg copy with no album or track information says the following above the UPC Bar Code on the back
Amazon KYDC Lexington KY
This is NOT the 'label' CD as they wouldn't release a messed up version like this.
Apparently Amazon is reproducing this CD and infringing on the copywright.
After I contacted them last night it looks like it's been removed at least temporally.
Only buy from a music store or somewhere online that specializes in this kind of music like a music exporter.
Otherwise we're no better than DJ's who steal (download) music they don't pay for.
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 9:00 am    

Good advice, W.C. It's unconscionable that an entity as prominent as Amazon would engage in this kind of behavior. They are not too big to fail..

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 9:01 am    

I doubt that it's Amazon doing the pirating. Anyone can sell stuff on Amazon.com - I did myself for a few years. Amazon probably just didn't notice until you called it to their attention. The UPC bar code is meaningless.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 2:04 am    

b0b wrote:
I doubt that it's Amazon doing the pirating. Anyone can sell stuff on Amazon.com - I did myself for a few years. Amazon probably just didn't notice until you called it to their attention. The UPC bar code is meaningless.

right, Amazon is just an outlet for registered sellers, millions of them. It is highly possible that the distributors of said CD authorized a scaled back release. This is not uncommon. These days with downloads and all sorts of alternative media methods, it is quite possible that it is a legal sale . Whoever owns the PUBLISHING would know.

Many times products are offered to various outlets at a reduced cost. No different than those multi song / artist records and CD's we see advertised all the time.

Is it fraud ? I suppose it could be be but it also may not be. It may be just a new deal with different packaging.

My family ( sister and husband) have been in music publishing for decades, artists from the 50's, 60's and 70's. They would get contacted on a regular basis to re- release material in new packaging at negotiated costs. All of a sudden an LP from the 70's showed up in a Walmart CD bin in a new package for $ 5.99 !

My sister used to tell me all the time that it wasn't the music that costs the money, it was the packaging and printing !

regardless, reporting it as WC did is still the right thing to do.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 6:29 am     An update...

After this issue came up a few months ago, it looked like that album had been removed from Amazon, at least temporarily. I presume that Amazon was looking into it. After a time, the album was made available on their site again.

Well, my wife ordered me a copy the other day as a gift. We knew the Amazon ad said that it would be provided by Createspace (on-demand), but we weren't sure what would show up.

The CD is a CD-R, and as W.C. stated, there are no credits inside, and no tracklist on the back, though there is a tracklist inside. So my wife sent a message to Daryle Singletary's Facebook page asking if the CD was legit, and they responded:

Quote:
Yes this album is his and is legit. Thanks for checking.

So, unless whoever is running Daryle's FB page is lying, I guess we'll have to take their word for it!

Just thought I'd pass that info along.

May Daryle RIP.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 3:12 pm    

Could it be that some friend/relative is making and selling them to benefit his wife or family? I don't know who the original publisher/owner is, but all you should do is alert them to your concerns. Don't get the Forum involved.

Casting aspersions publicly against Amazon (or anyone else) when you don't really know what's going on is likely to wind someone up in court with a libel suit.

Jus' sayin'.