The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String benders for 6-string lap steel -- what is available?
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 9:33 am    

Does anyone market a bender attachment with four levers for a 6-string lap steel? If so:

1) Can multiple levers be activated at the same time?

2) Do the open strings stay true to pitch when a lever, or multiple levers, are activated?

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 10:02 am    

Duesenberg Multibender seems to be the tool of choice, if it fits your steel. It is a replacement bridge system, so you have to have room for it. I know that some people have set it up with 3 benders - anyone out there tried 4?

https://store.duesenberg.de/en/hardware/multibender/76/duesenberg-multibender

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 1:37 pm    

Thank you for the link, David. I was vaguely aware of the Duesenberg unit, but since it appears to have been designed for Spanish as opposed to Hawaiian guitar, the string spacing at the bridge would likely be too narrow for the application I have in mind. In addition, the manufacturer states: "We don't recommend more than three levers, however, as operation of the Multibender may become impractical."

For my scheme to work as desired, I would require four separate levers. I'm inclined to believe that notion may not be doable with any of the existing benders currently being marketed.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 8:39 am    

Call Hipshot and try to speak with the owner David. He is very clever and knowledgeable about this stuff.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 9:36 am     String bender

Check one of these out by Wayne Johnson...Innovative Guitars. He is a Forum member. You can add extra levers.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 3:44 am    

I don't know what type of bridge you are using on your lap steel, but will this one work for you?

http://rollingbender.com/admin/
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 3:29 am    

Jackson steel has the best string bender set up for lap steel I know of. Sounds like what you want to do needs to be a pedal steel I Haven’t heard any YouTube videos that inspire me with the guys that use them including my son Zane King.