The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  OzSGA-Branson-Super Event Review
Martha Randall

Hollister, MO
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 7:47 pm    

2018 Super Event Review

Fri...July27th
The show started off Friday morning at 9:00 am with our own Eddie Lane from Branson who can play just about any song requested with a light smooth touch! We're sorry Wayne Link from Canada couldn't make it due to a health issue. We ask everyone to keep him in their thoughts & prayers.
Next was the marvelous playing of Rick Crow from OK. Then the fantastic Bill Nicholson from Georgia.
Next up on the stage was father & son team of Ron & Ronnie Kyne from WV. Little 6 year old Ronnie steals the show every time. Larry Lange from TX was on vocals.
They were followed by the infamous Joe Wright from MI. Joe always pleases the crowd and keeps them engrossed from beginning to end of each of his sets !
Next up was 15 yr old Jacob King who is the recipient of this years "Most Improved" player! WOOHOO! wtg Jacob. Jacob is from Dadeville, Mo. Jacob's grandpa Max was on bass, his dad, Jason & his 11 yr old brother, Matthew were on vocals.
Our last player of the morning was Janet Wise from Texas, who was our first lady player of the weekend.
Lunch:
After a short lunch break the afternoon session was off to a great start with Lee Ogle from Kansas...great job Lee! Doug Cole played bass and sang on Lee’s set…Doug has a wonderful voce. Thanks for joining us!
Bob Tuttle from MO was up next and did a marvelous job as always. Bob toured with Ray Price , Claude Grey & was in the band used at Gilley's for Urban Cowboy.
Ron Erickson of Branson along with his wife Opal performed next. They always do a great job! Thanks guys!
Fred Justice from Mesa, AZ came a long way to play for us. I had never heard him in person and what a nice surprise. He is a wonderful picker and a nice guy. Don't wait so long to visit us again Fred!
Tobin Hess, from Il, Wow! what else can I say but how can a young man have so much talent? Hope you'll come back and play for us again soon!
Rick Eaves from MO is a fantastic player.. hope to see you again soon Rick. Doug Cole also sang and played bass for Rick. Great set guys!...
Our next lady player was Jo Ann Kreder from Mo with Allen Culley on bass & vocals. JoAnn gets better every time she plays for us & is the OzSGa treassurer.
Jerry Foster from MO, is a marvelous picker and had Mike Beasley sing on his set. It was a fun set too as Jerry & Mike have a great repoir!
The last player of the day was Gene & Gayla Earlene Crain. This couple always play a marvelous set plus provide their wonderful Christian Ministries for our Sunday church service.
Band for Friday: Wayne Massengale on fiddle, Matt Henshaw(morning) & Dino Strunk(afternoon) on lead, Jimmy Hyde on drums, Russ Wever on bass, and Roy Rosetta on piano. Extra musicians are listed with the players they performed with.....
JAM SESSION; We had 17 players: Larry Garrett, Ron Erickson, Eddie Lane-Jerry Newberry, Beverly Harris, JoAnn Kreder,Terry Bethel, Randy Aden, Bill Nicholson, Mike Squires,Fred Justice, Keith Hilton, Lynn Owsly, Rodney Crisp, Mike McGee, Steve Melchi, & Charlie Steichen Singer-Larry Lange & Buddy Lewis on harmony.
Band: Buddy Lewis bass-Russ Burns drums-Mike Squires & Ernie Jackson fiddle-Darren Hammor & Dwayne Hoppis lead.

Sat..July 28th
Fred Justice from AZ opened Saturday's show and was quite the crowd pleaser!
Larry Garrett from AR played a great set as always and had Larry Lange on vocals.
Keith Hilton of MO is a fabulous player & had Buddy Lewis on bass and Eddie Asher & Ernie Jackson on vocals.
Mike McGee of MO is a great player & had Max King on bass-Travis Scott & Eddie Asher & Max King on vocals.
Jack Musgrave of MO is a wonderful picker and had Max King on bass &Travis Scott, Louann Turner & Eddie Asher on vocals.
Eddie Lane of Branson, is such a wonderfully smooth player & had Gary Ash on vocals.
Lynn Owsly from TN is a great player and entertains the crowd with his stories. He had Larry Lange & Rodney Crisp(lead) & vocals. Come back with Lynn, Rodney...Smile
Lunch
After a short lunch break, Jerry Roller of AR, took the stage as the first afternoon player along with his wife Carlene on vocals.Wonderful job!
Mike Beasley of MO was up next & is not only a fantastic steel player but a wonderful singer. He even got Mike McGee to sing & play bass
Next was player for the Presley's, Dean Holman of AR,who is not only a marvelous steel player but a wonderful Dobro picker too. He had Dino Strunk sing on his set.
Jimmy Dreadfulwater, a Cherokee Indian from OK played with a full headdress on. Jess French, Jimmy's cousin played bass & sang on the set. Great job guys and hope y'all come back again!
Terry Wood from Marshfield, MO is a fantastic player. His 13 yr old son, Zane Wood played bass for him.
The infamous Joe Wright from MI.performed next. Joe was in rare form as he presented his Sat performance of the show bringing his alter ego, Theawfulless!! The only thing I can say is what a consumet entertainer Joe is!
Young 16 yr old, Tobin Hess took the stage again much to the delight of the crowd. We hope Tobin can visit us again!...What an awesome player. We need more young players like Tobin Hess & Jacob King to carry on the steel torch!
Terry Bethel TN & Lynn Owsly TN closed out the day with great picking, Lynn's stories and fun banter amongst them. Rodney Crisp was on lead & vocals. what an awesome set guys... come back again!!!

Sun July 29th:
We had another outstanding Church service thanks too Gene & Gayla Earlene Crain of OK. Praise God for this precious couple and their testimonies!
The first player of the day was Mike McGee of MO. Mike is an excellent player. And a member of our advisory committee. Dino Strunk sang on his set.
Up next was Jerry Newberry from AR. Jerry's wife Donna sang on his set..wonderful job!
Joe Wright of MI was next to perform his last set and pleased all ages in the crowd playing everything from all genres. See you next year Joe!
After Joe was Russ Wever from Kansas City who is our regular bass player for the shows, and is also a wonderful steel player.... Mike McGee played bass and sang while Russ was in the steel spotlight..
Then Janet Wise from TX closed out the show this year with a rousing & emotional set. God bless and see y'all next year!
Congratulations to all the prize winners this year and forgive me if I've spelled anyone's name incorrectly in this report.

Thanks to all the marvelous players who made this a great show this and every year. Thanks to the faithful patrons who come year after year for whom without your continued support we couldn't put this show on each year. Thanks to Charlie, Rosemary, Mike, Cathy, John & Pat, the Advisory Committee and all the workers who help put this show together. Thanks to Orchard Sound for furnishing the sound equipment and to Buddy Lewis for the sound equipment for the jam session. Thanks to Stone Castle Hotel & Conv Center for the lovely venue and courteous staff who takes care of this rowdy bunch and for providing us with coffee and supplies. Thanks to everyone who provided snacks every day. Hope all the great vendors will come back again. thanks also to all the wonderful people who helped me as I didn't have onstant help this year and was sick to boot...Smile...God bless all our wonderful steel family!
2018 Super Event Review

Fri...July27th
The show started off Friday morning at 9:00 am with our own Eddie Lane from Branson who can play just about any song requested with a light smooth touch! We're sorry Wayne Link from Canada couldn't make it due to a health issue. We ask everyone to keep him in their thoughts & prayers.
Next was the marvelous playing of Rick Crow from OK. Then the fantastic Bill Nicholson from Georgia.
Next up on the stage was father & son team of Ron & Ronnie Kyne from WV. Little 6 year old Ronnie steals the show every time. Larry Lange from TX was on vocals.
They were followed by the infamous Joe Wright from MI. Joe always pleases the crowd and keeps them engrossed from beginning to end of each of his sets !
Next up was 15 yr old Jacob King who is the recipient of this years "Most Improved" player! WOOHOO! wtg Jacob. Jacob is from Dadeville, Mo. Jacob's grandpa Max was on bass, his dad, Jason & his 11 yr old brother, Matthew were on vocals.
Our last player of the morning was Janet Wise from Texas, who was our first lady player of the weekend.
Lunch:
After a short lunch break the afternoon session was off to a great start with Lee Ogle from Kansas...great job Lee!
Bob Tuttle from MO was up next and did a marvelous job as always. Bob toured with Ray Price , Claude Grey & was in the band used at Gilley's for Urban Cowboy.
Ron Erickson of Branson along with his wife Opal performed next. They always do a great job! Thanks guys!
Fred Justice from Mesa, AZ came a long way to play for us. I had never heard him in person and what a nice surprise. He is a wonderful picker and a nice guy. Don't wait so long to visit us again Fred!
Tobin Hess, from Il, Wow! what else can I say but how can a young man have so much talent? Hope you'll come back and play for us again soon!
Rick Eaves from MO is a fantastic player.. hope to see you again soon Rick.
Our next lady player was Jo Ann Kreder from Mo with Allen Culley on bass & vocals. JoAnn gets better every time she plays for us & is the OzSGa treassurer.
Jerry Foster from MO, is a marvelous picker and had Mike Beasley sing on his set. It was a fun set too as Jerry & Mike have a great repoir!
The last player of the day was Gene & Gayla Earlene Crain. This couple always play a marvelous set plus provide their wonderful Christian Ministries for our Sunday church service.
Band for Friday: Wayne Massengale on fiddle, Matt Henshaw(morning) & Dino Strunk(afternoon) on lead, Jimmy Hyde on drums, Russ Wever on bass, and Roy Rosetta on piano. Extra musicians are listed with the players they performed with.....
JAM SESSION; We had 17 players: Larry Garrett, Ron Erickson, Eddie Lane-Jerry Newberry, Beverly Harris, JoAnn Kreder,Terry Bethel, Randy Aden, Bill Nicholson, Mike Squires,Fred Justice, Keith Hilton, Lynn Owsly, Rodney Crisp, Mike McGee, Steve Melchi, & Charlie Steichen Singer-Larry Lange & Buddy Lewis on harmony.
Band: Buddy Lewis bass-Russ Burns drums-Mike Squires & Ernie Jackson fiddle-Darren Hammor & Dwayne Hoppis lead.

Sat..July 28th
Fred Justice from AZ opened Saturday's show and was quite the crowd pleaser!
Larry Garrett from AR played a great set as always and had Larry Lange on vocals.
Keith Hilton of MO is a fabulous player & had Buddy Lewis on bass and Eddie Asher & Ernie Jackson on vocals.
Mike McGee of MO is a great player & had Max King on bass-Travis Scott & Eddie Asher & Max King on vocals.
Jack Musgrave of MO is a wonderful picker and had Max King on bass &Travis Scott, Louann Turner & Eddie Asher on vocals.
Eddie Lane of Branson, is such a wonderfully smooth player & had Gary Ash on vocals.
Lynn Owsly from TN is a great player and entertains the crowd with his stories. He had Larry Lange & Rodney Crisp(lead) & vocals. Come back with Lynn, Rodney...Smile
Lunch
After a short lunch break, Jerry Roller of AR, took the stage as the first afternoon player along with his wife Carlene on vocals.Wonderful job!
Mike Beasley of MO was up next & is not only a fantastic steel player but a wonderful singer. He even got Mike McGee to sing & play bass
Next was player for the Presley's, Dean Holman of AR,who is not only a marvelous steel player but a wonderful Dobro picker too. He had Dino Strunk sing on his set.
Jimmy Dreadfulwater, a Cherokee Indian from OK played with a full headdress on. Jess French, Jimmy's cousin played bass & sang on the set. Great job guys and hope y'all come back again!
Terry Wood from Marshfield, MO is a fantastic player. His 13 yr old son, Zane Wood played bass for him.
The infamous Joe Wright from MI.performed next. Joe was in rare form as he presented his Sat performance of the show bringing his alter ego, Theawfulless!! The only thing I can say is what a consumet entertainer Joe is!
Young 16 yr old, Tobin Hess took the stage again much to the delight of the crowd. We hope Tobin can visit us again!...What an awesome player. We need more young players like Tobin Hess & Jacob King to carry on the steel torch!
Terry Bethel TN & Lynn Owsly TN closed out the day with great picking, Lynn's stories and fun banter amongst them. Rodney Crisp was on lead & vocals. what an awesome set guys... come back again!!!

Sun July 29th:
We had another outstanding Church service thanks too Gene & Gayla Earlene Crain of OK. Praise God for this precious couple and their testimonies!
The first player of the day was Mike McGee of MO. Mike is an excellent player. And a member of our advisory committee. Dino Strunk sang on his set.
Up next was Jerry Newberry from AR. Jerry's wife Donna sang on his set..wonderful job!
Joe Wright of MI was next to perform his last set and pleased all ages in the crowd playing everything from all genres. See you next year Joe!
After Joe was Russ Wever from Kansas City who is our regular bass player for the shows, and is also a wonderful steel player.... Mike McGee played bass and sang while Russ was in the steel spotlight..
Then Janet Wise from TX closed out the show this year with a rousing & emotional set. God bless and see y'all next year!
Congratulations to all the prize winners this year and forgive me if I've spelled anyone's name incorrectly in this report.

Thanks to all the marvelous players who made this a great show this and every year. Thanks to the faithful patrons who come year after year for whom without your continued support we couldn't put this show on each year. Thanks to Charlie, Rosemary, Mike, Cathy, John & Pat, the Advisory Committee and all the workers who help put this show together. Thanks to Orchard Sound for furnishing the sound equipment and to Buddy Lewis for the sound equipment for the jam session. Thanks to Stone Castle Hotel & Conv Center for the lovely venue and courteous staff who takes care of this rowdy bunch and for providing us with coffee and supplies. Thanks to everyone who provided snacks every day. Hope all the great vendors will come back again. thanks also to all the wonderful people who helped me as I didn't have onstant help this year and was sick to boot...Smile...God bless all our wonderful steel family!

Till next time: Keep Steelin'
Martha J Randall
Behind the Scene Promotions
Hollister, Mo

Last edited by Martha Randall on 15 Aug 2018 4:50 am; edited 4 times in total

Martha Randall

Hollister, MO
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 8:01 pm    

oh No I just discovered Ii forgot to mention Doug Cole. Did you play and sing with Rick Eaves? I'll correct when I hear from you!

Larry Garrett

Siloam Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 8:28 pm    

Very nice job Martha! Thank you for all you do for OZSGA! I had a wonderful time all weekend... There's always so much great talent! Also, the fellowship is an important part of such and enjoyable event. Thank you to all who contributed in any way.
Larry Very Happy

Martha Randall

Hollister, MO
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 8:47 pm    

Thanks Larry always enjoy seeing you at the shows...Smile

Douglas Cole

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 3:12 pm    

Hi, Martha. Looks like you found a way to mention me. Yes, I played on both Lee's and Rick's sets. I appreciate the kind words, but omitting me would have been okay. It was never about me. I just enjoy singing and these two guys are great players. I'm always honored when they ask me to sing with them.

Martha Randall

Hollister, MO
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 3:36 pm    

I try to mention everyone that plays or sings! and I'm sorry I missed you the first time around!