INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Computer Interface
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post Posted 17 May 2018 10:02 am     Reply with quote

Are there any new recording interfaces in the last 3 years or so that I should know about? I still have a Phonic Firewire mixer with 20 something channels. Also have an M-Audio M-Track for one or two channels. Both are pretty good. But I'm wondering if there's anything newer/better for about $200 or less. I plan to record some tunes this summer. School's out!!!

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jack Stoner

Inverness, Fl
Post Posted 17 May 2018 10:10 am     Reply with quote

I don't think there is anything "better" in the $200 range. I know nothing about the Phonic unit but I've had an MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R interface and it did well. I've moved on to a fancier unit with more options and better latency.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post Posted 18 May 2018 5:51 am     Reply with quote

What about software? It looks like Sonar is pretty much gone. I guess my Sonar Platinum will still work but I haven't tried it in a while.

What about Studio One? Anybody tried it yet? I downloaded the demo last night. Gonna try it out over the next 30 days.

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jack Stoner

Inverness, Fl
Post Posted 18 May 2018 6:27 am     Reply with quote

Sonar has been revived. It was purchased by "BandLab". BandLab also hired The Senior Programmer and one other of the Sonar programming staff.
Sonar is now "free" from BandLab. The "Cakewalk by BandLab" version is actually the Platinum version minus some free addon's that Platinum had. However, if you have Sonar (whatever version) already installed it installs along side Sonar and picks up all the plug-ins.

I bought Studio One 3 Pro at the reduced priced when Sonar was axed by Gibson. I can't really get into it and Sonar does everything I need.

Download the "BandLab Assistant" and then download Cakewalk from the Assistant. If you just download Cakewalk from their site it is in "demo" mode. Downloading from the Assistant gives you the no expiration date version.

https://www.bandlab.com/download/assistant/windows
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post Posted 18 May 2018 6:53 am     Reply with quote

I am still using Reaper. With free add ons it has everything I could want except RMS level meters on individual channels.

https://www.reaper.fm/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post Posted 18 May 2018 7:10 am     Reply with quote

So... if I just install from the stuff I already downloaded from Cakewalk a year or two ago, I won't be able to activate now?

What about all the extra plugins and stuff?

www.16tracks.com
Jack Stoner

Inverness, Fl
Post Posted 18 May 2018 7:20 am     Reply with quote

All my extras such as Melodyne, Izotope Ozone (5 and 6), POD Farm 2, several Antares VST's, Concrete Limiter, etc are all working in the BandLab version. Really the only thing different between Sonar Platinum and Cakewalk by BandLab is the name. If something worked in Sonar it works in the new "CbB" (the "official" abbreviation for Cakewalk by BandLab).
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post Posted 18 May 2018 9:11 am     Reply with quote

Jack, which version of Studio One do you have? Any interest in selling/trasfering it?

www.16tracks.com
Jack Stoner

Inverness, Fl
Post Posted 18 May 2018 11:07 am     Reply with quote

I have the latest Studio One 3 Pro. I'm going to keep it. Although I really haven't done anything with it, I need to learn another DAW. A project for "one of these days".
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post Posted 18 May 2018 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

I installed Sonar from the new guys. Also installed the Studio One demo. Haven't recorded anything yet but it looks like everything is still there. Thanks for the tip.

www.16tracks.com
Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post Posted 25 May 2018 10:55 am     Reply with quote

For $99 you can get a Presonus Audiobox and Studio One Artist. That's the route I took and I have been very satisfied. Just updated to Studio One Pro 4.

https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B00154KSA2
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post Posted 27 May 2018 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

I came across the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD today. 4 channels and USB. No drivers to install according to a YouTube review I watched. I think I might sell my M-Audio M-Track and get one of these. Might even sell my Phonic mixer. I don't do much group stuff anyway. 4 inputs should be plenty for me nowadays. You can also A/B the outputs if you have more than one set of studio monitors.

www.16tracks.com
Kent Thompson

Wilson, OK
Post Posted 8 Aug 2018 9:59 am     Reply with quote

I have the Behringer Euphoria UMC 1820 which has 8 tracks, quick connect with a USB cable, and as Gary stated there are no drivers to install. I have recorded live performances from the stage, as well as tracking for studio stuff. Well worth the investment. Portable and easy to take anywhere of course. It also has an optical option that you can connect direct to another 1820 to record 16 tracks simultaneously.