The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tt15
Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 8:42 am    

Has anyone replaced their spkr in a Quilter Steelaire with a TT15? Wondering if they sound better(?) also I noticed the TT15 does not have an alum dust cover...whats up with That?

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 6:43 pm    

The TT-15 does not have an aluminum dust cover. Nor does my 12”. Nor does Paul’s 12”. I am sensing a pattern. Winking

I feel that my 15” is a pretty considerable upgrade over the stock Quilter speaker. That being said, I have pretty big issues with the dimensions and cut-out (open back) size of that Steelaire Combo cabinet. It’s not a very good sounding cabinet for multiple reasons. The Steelaire Head is my favorite solid state amp. I just don’t like it in that combo configuration AT ALL.

-t

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 8:28 am    

I tried that change and preferred the stock speaker in that particular cabinet. The TT just did not sound as good to me as the original being front loaded in the Steelaire cabinet, that's just me. Now here's the catch, when I loaded the TT 15" speaker in a Tommy Huff cabinet, unplugged the original from the Steelaire and plugged in the TT, there was a dramatic improvement. I like the sound of my Steelaire, but my test proves that they could have done better with perhaps a deeper cabinet and a rear loaded the speaker. It looks like if I want a bigger, fatter sound, I will have to buy a Steelaire rack mount and use it with the Tommy Huff cabinet loaded with the TT 15" speaker.

Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 9:44 am     Quilter

This makes sense to me as problem I’m having is in the low-end