The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Headphones for tuning in a noisy bar.
Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 10:20 am    

Is there a such thing where you can plug in headphones to your guitar to tune by ear when in a noisy place or when the guitar player is doing his favorite Hendrix licks?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 10:30 am    

There are earphone amplifiers, seen here: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Headphone-Guitar-Amplifiers.gc
If you're in the smartphone crowd, you buy a Peterson adapter to plug your phone into your guitar and use smartphone apps, here: https://www.petersontuners.com/shop/item/Adaptor-Cable-for-Mobile-Devices

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 10:36 am    

Well, there are headphone amps. There are also many little mini-amps and modelers that have a headphone output. If I ever felt the need to do this, I'd just use my old Pod, which has a good headphone out. One could just run the cable out of the guitar into one of these, or use a tuner out if there's one on your volume pedal or other piece of gear. The latter would be better since it could remain always connected.

Myself, I generally tune up with the stage noise just to work on pitch discrimination - I have to play in-tune with them while we're playing. I realize that some people get really damned annoying diddling around before a show, but I just see it as another challenge to work on. When it gets ridiculous, I am not usually averse to telling them to chill out for a minute or two. Mr. Green

Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 11:05 am    

Thanks fellers, yeah I didn’t want anything too invasive and have to lug something extra that I don’t need. Just thought maybe they have headphones with built in amp for this. Lane I’ll check the guitar center thing out, my iPhone doesn’t have a port other than charger.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 11:24 am    

Maybe something like this will do..?

https://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Crusher-Headphones-Built-Amplifier/dp/B00OES2XM2/ref=pd_sim_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OES2XM2&pd_rd_r=QF3GZM9EG8PTKKNQTHE3&pd_rd_w=FxbGb&pd_rd_wg=iyvTb&psc=1&refRID=QF3GZM9EG8PTKKNQTHE3

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 12:14 pm    

Bobby Hearn wrote:
Thanks fellers, yeah I didn’t want anything too invasive and have to lug something extra that I don’t need. Just thought maybe they have headphones with built in amp for this. Lane I’ll check the guitar center thing out, my iPhone doesn’t have a port other than charger.

There are audio input lightning adapters.
Google "plug my guitar into my iPhone"
Proprietary connectors are one of MANY reasons I have nothing to do with Apple

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 8:26 am     tunning

I use a my profex sometimes for that. But it is good to sink with the guitar and piano as close as u can

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 1:31 pm     Headphones

I use the headphones jack on my Nashville 112.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 8:04 pm    

I used to have a pair of those Bobby. They had a 9v. battery and amp in the crown of the cross supports on top, all self contained. No effects or anything, but they worked well. I got them from Malcolm Kirby at Discount String Whse sometime in the 90's. They weren't very expensive at the time....less than $50. I don't know if he still has any or not.

I left them in the hotel room in St. Louis at the 08 convention. I called them when I got home and they called back and said they didn't find them. Yeah, sure....anyway, they were available a few years ago. Just your average big Mickey Mouse ears phones with built in amp.

I believe they were made by Univox...best I recall.