The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuner Out For Your Volume Pedal
Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2016 3:11 am    

Tommi, that will work just fine, although a DPDT switch is unnecessary - the "sleeve" connections to all three sockets can be permanently connected together - in fact, it is (nominally) safer. You only need to switch the live signal so a SPDT switch would be fine.

But this schematic will not harm your tone at all. The only downside to this is that you have to actually do something to use the tuner - you have to operate the switch. The upside is that you can tune in complete silence.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay

Tommi Toijonen

Kouvola, Finland
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2016 4:17 am    

Thanks, Will!

Like this, I think I'm going to build me a pedal!

Mr. Green [/img]

(That excess blue wire at the south east corner is something I probably leave inside the box by accident.)

Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2016 6:22 am    

Yes, Tommi - nothing to stop you putting it on your steel, then there's no extra box to connect. A little switch on the side - or better still, underneath, mounted on a small piece of aluminium angle fixed to the endplate, then there is no risk of it getting broken in the case.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay

Tommi Toijonen

Kouvola, Finland
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2016 7:02 am    

Will Cowell wrote:
Yes, Tommi - nothing to stop you putting it on your steel, then there's no extra box to connect. A little switch on the side - or better still, underneath, mounted on a small piece of aluminium angle fixed to the endplate, then there is no risk of it getting broken in the case.

Indeed, a good idea! But I opted for a pedal - the first stomp box I've ever made Very Happy

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2016 5:58 am     A Little Help

Need a little help..
Can you look at my picture and tell me what to do. I was thinking to just solder between the input hot and the 3rd output jack hot but the hot of the two outputs are tied and there's nothing to the sleeve Do I need to detach the hot between the two outputs? Thanks

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2016 6:08 am    

Right. Snip the wire between the two tips, and maybe rotate jack 3 a bit to give you some room, then run the wire from tip of J1 to J3.
There's nothing to the sleeves of J2 and J3 because sleeves are grounded, and they trust chassis ground to do that.

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2016 2:51 am     Why not just have another jack on the guitar for the tuner?

I have two jacks (in parallel) on my guitars and run a tuner full time (Peterson StroboPlus) from one jack and the other going to the pedal ,etc. It doesn't matter if my tuner is turned on or off, plugged in or not, I hear no variation in tone. Problem solved for me!
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2016 5:33 am     Re: Why not just have another jack on the guitar for the tun

Pete Nicholls wrote:
I have two jacks (in parallel) on my guitars and run a tuner full time (Peterson StroboPlus) from one jack and the other going to the pedal ,etc. It doesn't matter if my tuner is turned on or off, plugged in or not, I hear no variation in tone. Problem solved for me!

As expected with the StroboPlus, as that tuner has real high impedance input that won't load the PU all that much, and no clipping-circuit at its input that may distort peaks.

Not all tuners are that well prepared for direct coupling into a PSG sound-chain, so some may need a resistor in the tuner cable when connected like that.

Keane Eng

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 11:49 am     Re: 1 meg resistor-which watt value?

Butch Pytko wrote:
I went to a large electronics store today. They had the 1 meg resistors, but they were separated into groups of 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, & I think 1, 2, & 3 watts! I guessed & got the 1/2 watt. Does it matter which watt value to use for this tuner-out application?

No, it doesn't matter*

*...because 1.736V** through 1 MΩ is only 0.003 mW, and a power rating of 1/8 W (...or 1/4 W, 1/2 W, etc.) can satisfy 0.003 mW. Even 5V through 1 MΩ is only 0.025 mW, while 1/8W is 125 mW.

**And 1.736V is absolute worst-case, typical for +4 dBu pro-level line level signals. Your guitar signal is instrument pickup level, and probably only 1V (peak), or even less.

1/2 W is fine. Lots of vintage musical electronic equipment employed 1/2 W components. 1/4 W is more common for 70's, 80's, 90's instrument/line level signal, musical electronics. I buy 1/4 W resistors because BOSS, Ibanez, etc. seem to use them everywhere, and they are more than adequate to handle most guitar or effect pedal electronics situations, and I don't have to stock so many different ratings of each resistor value. Plus, the big one is, 1/4 W resistors should be cheaper than 1/2 W resistors.

Resistors for tube circuits, or amplifier or speaker systems are a different story...

Lawrie Minson

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2016 10:47 pm     2.2 meg will also work

Hi everyone, I'm a new guy but have been playing for a long time and I have a reasonable knowledge of electronics.
I modded a dual input amp (4 jack sockets) and wired it parallel to a single set of Hi/Lo input jacks. It the same as connecting a short patch lead between the two inputs. The mod permanently connects the two channels internally. This left me with two spare jack sockets. I fitted a booster switch to one of the sockets and the other I wired as a tuner out. Most tuners I've come across have an input impedance of 1 meg which is why they will load the signal and affect your tone. I used a 2.2 meg ohm resistor which worked quite well and would work in Randy's set up. The reason I suggest this is because when you combine the 1 meg load of the tuner with a 1 meg resistor in your volume pedal mod you get a combined load of 500k on your signal. If you use a 2.2 meg the combined load goes up higher (about 680k). You only need enough signal to drive the tuner so minimal is best.
Cheers, Lawrie

Vann Ray Cranford

Kinston, N.C. 28501-1571
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 7:00 pm    

I am definitely not an electronics person. However, I use a Hilton pedal and a Peterson VS-II tuner mounted on my guitar leg. I solved my problem by using the Y-idea. I plug my Boss Tone into my guitar. Then, I plug a solid plug(one male end into the Boss Tone. The solid plug has two female jacks molded into the plug. I then run a cable to the V.P., and a cable to my tuner. After I have tuned, then I unplug the tuner cable from the plug going into the Boss Tone. When I need to re-tune, I simply reconnect. This has worked well for this non-electronics trained player.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 11:12 am    

I use an EHX Next Step volume Pedal it has a buffered direct Output which remains unaffected by the volume pedal = "Direct Output" I use this for my Stroboplus HD tuner. Works a treat.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 12:43 pm    

Is there an advantage/disadvantage using solid v stranded wire, which is best?

Thanks, BF

Tim Walker

Santa Clarita, CA (originally U.K.)
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 3:39 pm    

Hi, I'm trying to order a 1 Meg resistors to mod my pedals, does anyone know what wattage I need 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2?
Thanks

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 4:02 pm    

Tim Walker wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to order a 1 Meg resistors to mod my pedals, does anyone know what wattage I need 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2?
A 1/4 Watt resistor is plenty. Won't run currents to worry about through that resistor.

Tim Walker

Santa Clarita, CA (originally U.K.)
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 4:16 pm    

Thanks!

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 6:12 pm    

George , I have the old EB volume pedal without the tuner out jack so I connect my flip tuner directly to post send of my NV112. It works fine in this arrangement but does it affect my tone in any way.. If so I havent noticed.

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 4:19 am    

If I do this resistor modification on my Hilton VP and connect my Strobostomp tuner into this modified output jack in the Hilton, will my strobostomp tuner still mute the volume when I tune (like I want it to), or do you have to back off on the volume pedal to allow for silent tuning in this case?

I like my Hilton VP to be never completely off and it's important that the Strobostomp tuner mutes the sound when I tune.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 5:51 am    

Jacek Jakubek wrote:
If I do this resistor modification on my Hilton VP and connect my Strobostomp tuner into this modified output jack in the Hilton, will my strobostomp tuner still mute the volume when I tune (like I want it to), or do you have to back off on the volume pedal to allow for silent tuning in this case?
You will have to back off the VP for silent tuning.

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 6:49 am    

Thank-You, Georg. Looks like I won't be doing this mod then. I'm OK with that because I didn't feel like messing with my VP wiring anyways Smile

Eric Nail

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 1:34 pm     Buffers?

If you need a splitter, a high impedance buffer is the key. Y Splits are fine in theory but lead to ground loop hum, in general are noisy. Adding just a resistor will allow hum or tone roll off especially if you've got any drive pedals in chain.

I use a y with two buffers built in. It seems a little overkill but it work fantastic and allows for silent operation in/out of my volume pedal/tuners.

In fact, I built the buffer set from the Klon schematic and a custom PCB to install direct to my VP Jr(I wouldn't recommend this, it's a real pain). The best option is just a small one input two output buffer box and avoid using the passive volume out of the vp at all.

here's the schematic i use thats direct from the Klon schematic:

This schematic is doubled up and use a TL072 as the OpAmp, tie the input jack to the input of both buffer circuits.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 6:05 pm     Randy Beavers Tuner out

Aloha..I just converted my old Goodrich and living in Kauai there are no Radio Shacks or anything like it..So…I ordered the resister 1 Meg 1/2 W from Amazon and the smallest amount was 100 pcs…If anyone wants some of these give me your address and I’ll put it/them in an envelope and mail it.. Very Happy

Reed Ohrbom

Hemet, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2022 6:20 pm     Hilton VP Tuner Out

I'm keeping an eye out for a used Hilton Low Profile VP. Is there any way to tell if a used (or new?) Hilton has the "tuner out" feature?

Is the tuner out jack in addition to the 2 amp out jacks, maybe on the other side, or is it an interior wiring mod on one of the amp out jacks, so from the outside, you can't tell?

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2022 6:59 pm    

Reed you have the guitar in, 1 or 2 output jacks and the tuner out next on same side

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2023 2:47 pm    

the Telonics pedal has a tuner out jack already. Easy peasy.