The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Don’t cheap out on the steel seat.
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 3:31 pm    

Ive recently bought a new steel seat from Joe Naylor at steelseat.com.
I should have done this a long time ago. Every time I raised a bit of money for a new toy or project, I ignored the seat, thinking something else would be more important.

I should have gotten the seat. It’s important.

I’m spending more time in the saddle, and my posture is better. It helps my playing.

Learn from my mistakes. Get a pro seat.

Robert W Wilson

Palisade, Western Colorado
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 4:24 pm    

Did you get the back rest? Which model seat? I use a stool, tend to slouch and think the back rest would help out. But I presume a back rest makes getting in/out of the cockpit a chore?

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 5:40 pm    

Steelseat lite model with back rest. The back prevents you from slouching as well as giving lumbar support.

No more difficult to get off of than a backless seat. Light weight as well.

Robert W Wilson

Palisade, Western Colorado
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 5:58 pm    

Thats the one I like. No pics on the web showing the back folded down. Is it easy to carry and stow? Do you think the power strip is a useful add on? I want to have a lean kit that is quick to set up. Thanks!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 6:35 pm    

I'm still using my old ACE seat that I purchased back in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

I've had the seat cushion recovered once and replaced the latch.

Still going strong and very comfy.

I remember the transition from a chair to a stool and then to the real deal. What an improvement.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 6:36 pm    

Mine has no power strip. My amp (Telonics) powers my built in effects and my pedal.

One plug, and I’m good to go. Quick set up, and no wires all over the place. I could see it being useful, but I’d like to see one that detatches.

It’s easy to carry and stow. The backrest lays flat on the cushion when folded down. Perfect for placing the steel case on top for set up.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 11:47 am    

Joe builds a great product, is a first class guy and his wife doesn't talk funny which is a bonus. Smile Smile That's an inside joke because Denise and I hail from about 30 miles of each other in the northeastern GA, western NC Appalachians.

I have a 30+ year old handmade seat in my practice area that is of special sentimental value and a Rollins seat (also a good product) in my gigging kit. I got the Rollins seat years ago before Joe was in business. A few days ago I had both set up side by side. I immediately noticed how much more comfortable and better my posture was in a professionally made seat. I see a new SteelSeat.com addition in my future. Smile

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 4:47 am    

I have an OLD Cush Seat, from back in the 80’s and before that a round spin adjustable piano seat... Steve is correct DON’T cheap out on a Seat... I can’t speak to some of the other manufacturers, and I know some are really good, but I can speak to the Steelseat I have... When I first sat in it, I wasn’t sure I was going to like it, as it was harder than my old wore out Cush Seat, but it is the hardness or firmness that keeps you off that board underneath it... If it’s TOO comfortable when you first get in it, it won’t be for long... It IS the firmness that makes it such a comfortable seat the longer you sit in it, and you will want to sit in it longer because of it.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 3:21 pm    

Love my Joe Naylor seat and am getting ready to order a second one! The best I have ever had....

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 3:07 am    

I've got two of Joe Naylor's seats,Yesterday a few of my cousins came to visit and they have never been around steel guitars,They were more impressed by Joe's seats than any of my instruments.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 5:37 am    

I have a Joe Naylor seat as well. I did get a backrest which I really don't care for and have removed. Different strokes I guess. I got the adjustable legs and I would highly recommend them. From what I understand not too many opt-in for adjustable legs but I found that 10 minutes messing with the exact height I wanted did make a difference for me. We can adjust to a wide range ergonomically but the correct height for you and your guitar is a good thing and worth pursuing. My 2 cents at least.