The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Selection knob on TC Electronics M-1 question.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 6:49 am    

It appears the adjustment knob has hit the dust, but I am not sure because the unit is new to me and I don't know much about it. When I turn the knob, it does nothing and just free spins. I did get it working one time and I could feel it going through notches, for lack of a better term. I was just randomly pushing buttons when it started working what I would consider normal. Now it is back to doing nothing and just free wheeling with no feel of it hitting any notches as I turn it. I don't know if the knob is defective or I just have have something set wrong that is making it non-funcitiona!. Any thoughts?

[/i]

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 7:39 am    

I have 3 older M ones in racks. I usually don't change the M One settings much as I have everything stored consecutively in the "user" setting bank.

I checked all three this morning for knob "feel" and operation. Two units spin easy without any real positive feel to the action on the knob. The other one has a definite stop or feel to the knob action. These controls must wear out easily on TC Electronic units.

I find that "slower" usually works better on the ones without a "positive" feel. The knob will change the settings but not as quickly as the one that works correctly.

Ray D.

Last edited by Ray DeVoe on 21 Jul 2018 5:46 am; edited 5 times in total

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 12:14 pm    

Could it be a loose set screw or a broken spring clip allowing the knob to "spin" on the shaft of the pot?
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 5:09 pm     Selection knob on TC Electronics M-1 question.

I have figured out the problem. Jim, taking your advice, I checked the possibility that the knob was slipping on the shaft. Turning the shaft by hand, I discovered about 1/8" of up and down "play" in the shaft. If I pull up the shaft and hold it in the up position, it works. To put the knob back on, I have to push it down on the shaft, which causes the shaft to move downward and not work. I also found out what caused the problem. I noticed a little mud on the knob and remembered the ball I was using to play fetch with my German Shepherd went behind my rack rig. When the dog went for the ball, she stomped the knob with her foot, pressing it inward on itself. So it is usable without a knob, but I think to make it usable with the selection knob, it needs a new knob selector.

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 9:37 am    

Here is my boy, Stevie, helping me with my A pedal during a session in my home studio.
JE:-)>

MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo

John Hauck

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 8:39 am    

George, I have the same unit. The real easy fix is that the program change knob is push pull. In the "in" position, it just rotates with no program change. Pull the knob out and when you rotate it it will select the changes.

The hard fix on mine was what you might think is a potentiometer behind the knob is not. It is a digital rotary encoder. For my fix I had to disassemble the unit and re-solder in a new encoder. This was not an easy solder job.

Hope yours is the easy fix.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 11:58 am     Selection knob on TC Electronics M-1 question.

John, it is the easy solution. Since the knob only slips onto the shaft, I didn't think it made any difference which way it fit on. Wrong! I found one way of putting it on that requires some force. This allows you to pull up on the knob (and the shaft) without the knob coming off. I have it working now, but it is a little sensitive. It can still free spin pretty easy if you are not careful. If it does, you just have to pull out on the knob slight!y. Not a problem since your fingers are on the knob anyway.

Thanks for the solution. It is great to know that it has a pull on/push off knob feature. Now I know that the up and down play in the shaft is normal and that Shar, my German Shepherd, didn't damage anything, just pushed the button in. I am glad she did, because I learned something I needed to know.

Thanks so much for the help.

John Hauck

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 12:23 pm    

George, Glad to hear it was the easy fix. Replacing the encoder is a real pain. You just have to be careful when pushing on the knob. I pushed too hard on mine and that is what damaged the encoder.

Take care.