The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap steel solo lead playing question
Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 4:40 pm    

First of all I been playing the guitar for over 50 years. I like to play leed and also play backup to the singer [ fill in ] I have been playing around with a lap steel around years Please bear with me! Let's say we want to play some where over the rainbow in C What is the rule of thumb / method / or pattern is used when picking out the melody. As do you play the high c [ C 6 tuning] on the 2nd string or play it on another string farther up the fretboard I understand on a guitar playing in 5th position . If I could get this in my head I could then play many more songs with freedom and relaxing playing the lap steel like I can on my 6 string guitar. Thank you for any and input. Jerry R louisville Ky

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 11:06 am    

Hi. As a general rule of thumb I tend to start around the 1 chord. Like you I am a guitarist who came to the lap steel world and consequently I find it easier than pedal steel. Like guitar knowing where your 1,4 and five are and the relative minors.

You mentioned Somewhere over the rainbow. This is a version I did in the key of D. Using a C6 tuning you can see I started on the second fret which is the D then up an octave to D again then to A which is the 5 chord. Once you get into slants and running up the neck in 6th and 3rd harmonies you will find it easier than you thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp52g4piXkA

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 1:05 pm    

MICK THAT WAS AWESOME AND BEAUTIFUL!! I can only hope to someday play like you did. You are very blessed with your talent to enjoy playing music and lifting others up with it! After reading your reply I have made a fretboard chart to make copies of and fill in the notes for the different frets to memorize the fretboard , like I know on the guitar.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 5:55 am    

Jerry Recktenwald wrote:
MICK THAT WAS AWESOME AND BEAUTIFUL!! I can only hope to someday play like you did. You are very blessed with your talent to enjoy playing music and lifting others up with it! After reading your reply I have made a fretboard chart to make copies of and fill in the notes for the different frets to memorize the fretboard , like I know on the guitar.

Same as guitar E13 might help. A is at the 5th fret F is at 1st fret etc.

Also

Scales, Modes, Arpeggios notes don't change the learning curve is even heavier than guitar as you are essentially playing with one finger. Imagine Django on steroids. Laughing
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"