The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacement tuners for Dobro
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 8:05 am    

I'd like to replace (upgrade) the tuners on my 1983 60D Dobro. Does anyone know what would be a good "direct fit" replacement as they are individual (3) each side, or do I have to go with inline?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 8:21 am    

Are those the stock tuners, Kevin? The ones on my 60D (OMI, 1981) were inline strips. Somewhere along the line I misplaced the originals (it's a long story), and I replaced them with Golden Age Restoration tuners from StewMac:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Slotted_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/

They fit perfectly. If you decide to go that route, I would recommend a dollop of lubricant (I used petroleum jelly) between the worm and the gear of the new tuners before installation.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 8:58 am    

This is quite the coincidence since Jack started a thread about the same thing on www.resohangout.com a few weeks ago. What are the odds?

I see Jack that you went with the Golden Age Restoration tuners we discussed in that thread.

More dough, and I couldn't tell you how they compare to the Golden Age in overall quality, but this is what Paul Beard sells which are made by National Reso-Phonic here in California. Some time back on his mid 1930's Dobro Fred Travers of The Seldom Scene had Paul install these tuners:

http://www.resophonicoutfitters.com/product/NTM-303.html

Kevin Mincke

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 11:40 am    

Jack, they are the originals....I’m not on the reso hangout forum so thanks for the info guys! If you get a chance to post a pic I’d appreciate it. Square end or bell end?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 12:50 pm    

Kevin, here are some pix of the StewMac tuners fitted to my Dobro:

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 4:00 pm    

Kevin, it would be my guess that, unless you find a set of exact replacements for your original tuners, you will likely need to plug the old holes and drill new ones to install modern replacements.

I'm not certain about yours, but similar tuners were fairly common a few decades back. I think they were made in Japan. I believe I may have some old ones sitting around here somewhere, but they're probably in no better condition than what you already have.

Kevin Mincke

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 12:25 pm    

Thanks Jack, maybe I'll leave it alone but a couple are kinda sloppy. I didn't want to get into fill-in/redrillin if I didn't have to. They hold well. I think you're right, the covered style is remiss of many brands of Japan made guitars from the 70/80's.
Your inlines look good however, classic dobro vintager look.

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 3:41 pm    

Those stew-mac in-line tuners are good and economical. Being in-line they will cover your old screw holes and you can start new screws with an ice pick. If an old screw hole does show a little dab of min wax color putty should hide it.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 11:54 am    

Do some searches on 6-string websites. Those are a cheap type of "stamped" tuner commonly used on import Fenders and other overseas makes.

But there is an upgraded tuner being made that matches the mounting exactly. Just look outside the steel and Dobro sources and look at regular guitar tuners. As I recall they're made by either Gotoh or Kluson.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 12:12 pm    

I'm still amazed that the tuners on Kevin's guitar are factory originals - I don't ever recall seeing an O.M.I. Dobro with tuners like that and I've been around a lot of dobros since I began playing in 1976.

But surprises are not all that rare or unusual in the convoluted history of the Dobro guitar.

Kevin Mincke

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 12:25 pm    

Bought new in 83’ partial trade with my Sho~Bro. Wish I had it back!

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 7:03 am    

As a data point, I have a 1984 8-string Dobro with tuners that appear identical to Kevin's. They look to be original.

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 8:08 am    

So apparently there was a period where they had purchased some of these tuners and used them on new guitars.

The Dobro company, both pre WWII and then later after O.M.I. was formed and the Dobro name was regained around 1970, wasn't known for record keeping with the precision of a company like C.F. Martin.

And the O.M.I. period until the purchase by Gibson in the '90s hasn't been studied as closely as the pre war era.

Every so often something pops up as an anomaly and these tuners seem to fit the description.