The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone ... Will Understand
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 3:13 pm    

This song was featured on an episode of Black Mirror. The original by Irma Thomas is definitely great. The full title is "Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)."

I sat down and played it from memory, not realizing that I was in 4/4 instead of 6/8. Guess I'm just too country! Embarassed

Anyway, it's the 2017 Sierra S-10 through a Strymon DIG echo. The reverb on the Milkman Half & Half was turned off. The copedent is my Hybrid D6th (click in my signature if you're curious). Key of A.

https://youtu.be/q-MUK1t-dHw

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 11:30 am    

You always seem to show that less is more, I like that very much. BTW there is not very much "less" about that Sierra!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 8:00 am    

Nice! I know itÒ€ℒs a great instrument, and this tune really lets the Sierra speak for itself, but you played it perfectly. As Chet used to say when he would step away from his guitar, Ò€œHow does it sound now?Ò€

Production props- that was an excellent camera angle, good natural light, and very good sound. I think of every video posted by pro players here on the forum as both entertainment and educational opportunities. Being able to see the playerÒ€ℒs hands and feet clearly and having a clean unsquashed sound really helps. All the topic threads in the world never say as much as a 3 minute demonstration. So thank you for posting!

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 9:56 am    

For me, 6th based universal type tunings feel very natural, and this lovely take shows how well your D6 tuning works. I also love how personal your arrangement is, a nice blend of textures

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 3:20 pm    

Fred - it was just my trusty Canon camera on a mic stand. I rarely use it for video, but it works quite well.

Christopher - I'm in the process of writing a paper about how the Hybrid D6th works. It's basically a C6th tuning with E9th pedals and knee levers added. No switching from "6th mode" to "9th mode" - everything is based on the D tuning (halfway between C and E).

It's almost a "universal", but on 10 strings instead of 12. It's missing the 7th and 10th strings of the E9th.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 12:54 pm    

<bump>