The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DV Mark 50 watt amp- gig report
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 5:47 am    

Just found one at GC for 199.00 (used),,,pulled the trigger. I like the 45 day try it out time,,,LOL

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 7:37 am     Micro II? what's the difference?

What's the difference between the "Micro 50" and the "Micro 50 II"?

Maybe already covered, but the thread has gotten too long, so I'll ask again.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 8:32 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
There is an XLR on the original version of this amp, but not version II. The original version has XLR out but no effects loop. Version II trades off the XLR out for an effects loop.

Original: http://www.dvmark.it/product-detail/dv-micro-50/

Version II: http://www.dvmark.it/product-detail/dv-micro-50-ii/

My Ciro Manna came yesterday. I'll check it out today, was working on an old tweed Champ yesterday.

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 12:33 pm    

OK, this Micro 50 CMT seems to be working correctly so far. No significant ringing from the preamp tube, and I've played it a couple of hours and it's still running.

The tone is much as I described earlier. On the clean channel cranked up pretty good, it's clear but warm, and clean most of the way up but with a bit of tube warmth, maybe even breakup, when pushed hard. I don't know how it will fare on a gig, but I'm gonna try it.

I quickly recorded a couple of clips on a tiny TASCAM DR-08 digital recorder with the stereo pair on the recorder itself. I had the amp pretty loud into Little Walter 1x12" cab with a Telonics TSNEO-12-4 12" 4 Ohm speaker. Clean channel, level 3 o'clock (a bit more than 3/4 up on the dial), bass 12 o'clock, mid and treble about 1:30. I could have cleaned it up more by turning the mid down to 11:00-12:00 but I have been going for more mids lately.

Even at the lowest recording level, I had a devil of a time getting the DR-08 not to distort itself, but I wanted to get clips at a practical gigging volume. I think there are a few places where the DR-08 is distorting, but most of the warmth is from the amp itself. If you hear a raspy artifact occasionally, that's the recorder.

Guitar is a Mullen G2 SD10 with a "modern" Lawrence 705 with black surround, into a Sho Bud volume pedal. Only effects are a tiny bit of Rogue "analog" delay set on its longest delay time and a bit of Wampler Faux Spring Reverb. I meant to use the amp reverb but forgot to switch - it's OK but I always have a spring reverb pedal or a real outboard spring reverb available.

These clips are as raw as a corncob - no accompaniment and just played and recorded once, warts and all. But I think it gives a general idea what the amp sounds like. On Almost Persuaded, I played some low and some way up to get an idea of how the amp handled them. Again, I didn't diddle with the settings much, and cutting the mids back cleaned things up. For me, guitar is a consideration and I liked the way my Strats and Teles sounded.

Rose Colored Glasses

Almost Persuaded

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 12:49 pm    

we should clarify that Dave is referring to and talking about his DV Mark 50 CM ,which is the 50 watt head with a mini 6205 front end preamp tube.

The previous posts are MOSTLY talking about the 100% solid state DV Mark 50 or Mark 50 II , which is what the initial topic is about.

Daves clips sound pretty good to me ! I think these DV people are on to something.

It's all good stuff. Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 1:12 pm    

Yup, as stated, mine is the 6205 subminiature preamp-tube-driven Micro 50 CMT (Ciro Manna). I think it's a bit different than the all-solid-state versions, at least from the clips I've listened to. Of course, there are other variables besides the amp.

BTW, it makes a big difference listening on a set of real speakers instead of built-in laptop speakers. I previewed the clips on my main computer downstairs with decent speakers. It sort of sounds yuk on my crappy laptop speakers 'cause they axe almost all the low end out of the guitar.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 9:34 am    

JUst received my used DV Mark 50. Since it is used I didn't get a manual with it. It looks like controls for clean are bottom row. Can anyone suggest settings? Everything straight up sounds pretty good,,,maybe a little "hot".

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 9:36 am    

On the bottom row, I have bass, mid and high all at 1 o'clock. (Level varies of course)

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 10:46 am    

Here is the link to the manual:

http://www.dvmark.it/media/filer_public/09/c2/09c25eed-e86a-406d-9f02-e745587fc210/053036_c_manuale_dv_micro_50_light.pdf

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 12:08 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
JUst received my used DV Mark 50. Since it is used I didn't get a manual with it. It looks like controls for clean are bottom row. Can anyone suggest settings? Everything straight up sounds pretty good,,,maybe a little "hot".

Yes the bottom row is CLEAN , BUT, when you switch to the DRIVE channel the clean controls still work in conjunction with the OD channel controls. I think this is a nice feature.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 7:04 am    

Thanks guys! Yes Jim,,,mine sounded pretty good at straight up 12,,,can't tell much difference at 1 oclock. I'm trying to get the "zing" out of it,,,,a little more bass and a little less highs. I think this Kline must have a pretty hot pickup. I'll say this, it's a STRONG 50 watts!!!

Question,,,,some amps are "neutral" straight up, counter clockwise takes away, clockwise adds. Other start at 0 and clockwise up to 10 or 12,,,5-6 (straight up)being half full?

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 10:08 am    

Tony Prior wrote:

...the OD channel controls...

Tony,OD ??? Thanks !

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 10:13 am    

Overdrive.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 2:13 pm    

👍😉 Thanks !

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2018 1:21 pm    

Well, I guess I'm going to row out to my island on this.

Although I really liked it in my music room, I gigged mine last Thursday and decided to return it. It is a good amp, and the basic tone is very good, especially for such a small and reasonably priced piece of equipment. However, I found it difficult to get a consistent attack at different volumes. Seems like I had to play within a very narrow volume range all the way through a song to get the attack to be where I expected it. I know amps don't have "action," but the only way I can describe my issues is that this amp "felt" too different from all my others to keep it.

In full disclosure: I have also bought and then returned the Quilter Pro Block 200, Peavey Minimax, and a bunch of other small amps, so I am hard to please, I guess.

Not panning the amp at all or questioning that others have gotten very good sounds out of it, based on the clips posted here. Just wasn't right for me.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2018 4:09 pm    

Dan,
I’m trying real hard to figure out what it is you’re saying here ....... you sound like you’re describing a compressor that’s not working for you ....... is there a difference in a volume delay time with the different volumes that you are using ? Sorry I guess I just don’t understand what it is you’re saying here.....Please explain.....Thanks, Jim

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2018 7:59 pm    

Yeah, James, I am trying hard to articulate it (clearly without much success). I don't want to overstate the issue because it was very subtle; but it was noticeable to me. Let me put it this way: on a tube amp, I feel a little give on a hard attack (what some call "squish" or "sag"; maybe what you understood as a compressor-like effect in my description). One doesn't get this per se from solid state amps, but with some I feel that there is some "compression" or give; with some I don't feel that at all. On this amp I feel that I got that on some attacks but not others, and in the course of a three-hour gig, I was not able to get a sense of when to expect it or not expect it. Kind of like driving a car with an unfamiliar clutch that jumps into some gears before you let it out and takes the full length of the clutch to get into other gears.

I know that is still quite vague; sometimes it's hard to put into words what didn't sound or feel quite comfortable about a piece of equipment. I once had a steel from a very reputable maker and just couldn't for the life of me get comfortable with its feel or sound. Go figure. Different strokes and all that, I guess...

Again: this was subtle, and the basic tone of the amp remained good. And I get that this is a $300 Class-D mini amp--not a Twin Reverb. I also get that others are loving it it and I say more power to them. I just felt like I wouldn't be taking it out on gigs, so I returned it.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 1:04 am    

Have you played this venue with an amp that worked for you ? Perhaps it was the room and not the amp ? .... I’m not defending the amp, merely trying to figure out this dilemma.... Sort of like how rooms will sound with or without people in them.... Jim

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 2:54 am    

I believe I should re-state why I bought the Micro 50 to begin with, it was a for double duty, not to replace an amp for Steel only. I'm liking the Micro 50 II for Steel and Guitar but there is a compromise. I am not as anal as others are for Steel tones but I am fairly anal for Telecaster tones. I'm not a fan of SS amps for Telecasters be it the N400 or the N112. However , I find the DV acceptable for both Steel and Telecaster. Is it the best ever ? No, certainly not. Is it workable for a small room , yep.

I read many reviews and comments that state that the DV micro 50 is either too bright or doesn't have enough low en. That I can't relate to. To me thats a speaker choice issue. I'm driving 2 -12" cabs with Fender Gold label Emmi speakers, there is no issue what-so-ever with too bright or not enough low end. I've got plenty of +/- either direction.

I like the DV amp plenty enough where I did not return it. Will I use it for every small gig? Probably not, but thats what I do anyway. I rotate gear. One week could be the Carvin Vintage 50 or maybe the Blues Deluxe . On the larger room dance gigs I use two amps, the N112 for the Steel and the Blues Jr for the Telecaster. Thats actually my preferred rig for those types of gigs. I will remind everyone that the N112 also has a Fender Gold Label Emmi in it, that mid range overkill went away with this speaker. The N112 for the Telecaster is not a choice, for me it's not even close, but for the Steel it's pretty good. Others may see it differently.

I don't keep gear that I can't use or don't like, the DV fits in the family very well.

over and out

t

Last edited by Tony Prior on 31 Jul 2018 2:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 2:54 am    

No, it was a one-off gig. I've played many new amps and not been completely happy with them, but could assess their quirks and what I needed to do to make them fit my needs (the Cube amps I have owned come to mind). I felt confident after this three-hour gig that I did not get a feel for this amp and decided to return it. Perhaps I am too impulsive with amps, but when I have a few amps that I like very much, I just don't feel like keeping ones that don't satisfactorily offer something those do not.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 2:58 am    

Tony, point well taken. I might have applied a very different calculus in assessing the amp if I needed it to work for six-string as well.

I should add that the brightness issue I described when I had only played it in my music room was not a problem at all on the gig.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 4:18 am    

Dan, I totally get it. We are who we are, we seek stuff to please us personally. If I listed all the amps I bought , tried and got rid of over the decades some of you would think I should have been sent to the nut house. Very Happy

I didn't even mention the amps I bought because I was going to use them and never did . Buying them seemed like a pretty good idea at the time though ! Sad

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 11:17 pm    

Tonight I used the DV Mark Little Jazz at a house party jam, with my Rickenbacker Electro lap steel. I set all of the controls to the middle (except volume), and played without a volume pedal. It sounded absolutely beautiful. This guitar is sometimes too bright and present, to the point of being scary. Whoa! The Little Jazz mellowed it out perfectly. Cool Very cool. Cool

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 3:03 am    

Nice bob ! I like mine plenty but I also know it's not an every gig amp, it has it's place and fits it's place nicely.

I still like using a small combo as it is all self contained. Less wires and stuff. Simplicity. I like simple.

But make no mistake, the DV Micro 50 is a kool amp and while I may not use it on every small gig, it comes to every gig as a backup. A few weeks back i was on a Guitar only gig with a Blues jr, I had the DV with me, the Bass player was having issues, He used the DV 50 for the first set until he cleared the issue. who said it wasn't a bass amp ? Laughing

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 7:01 pm    

Looking at the specs for the DV Mark Little Jazz, it lists Power:50WRMS@8ohm/60WRMS@4ohm, but it also lists output for external cab as 8 ohm minimum load. Just wondering if that means it can or cannot be used with a 4 ohm external speaker? Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me.