Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roland Space Echo surplus
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2018 4:15 pm    

[/i]

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 7:22 am    

Outside of too much disposable income, I can't think of another logical reason why anyone would have this. Not even Mr. Setzer... Confused

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 11:16 am    

maybe he has an ugly drummer....Winking

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 3:57 pm    

Laughing Laughing

Steve Pawlak

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 5:58 am    

Interesting It appears only the top one is plugged in

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 8:38 am    

ZZ Top Syndrome?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 9:40 am    

Looks like RE301's with a 201 next to bottom there. Brian collects these things as they are no longer made. I think he has more than 20 of them. I seriously doubt there are any dummies in this photo.

He says he likes these tape echoes better than the other vintage ones for slapback especially for playing live and that they are more reliable than the Echoplex etc.

He uses the preamp of these to slightly overdrive the front end of his Bassman amps and he says he likes the tone that it gives his otherwise basic rig.

Dunno why so many on stage. I would expect him to carry a spare or two on tour though.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2018 5:50 am    

Possibly a studio shot (I dunno, that's a lotta brick...not exactly studio wall material). Or if on stage, maybe he's got them all set differently and can pull up each on the fly with some kinda loop controller? I wouldn't want those things all stacked up like that, tho'. But then again, I wouldn't want my entire arms tattooed either.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 4:06 pm    

Musical instruments are pieces of art. Rather than spending money to where you'll never get it back, why not invest in discontinued items that will hold their value and you can use them while you have them.

When you can't tour or pick up a guitar you can sell the items.

With Setzer all his gear will have halo effect value.

He can Stray Cat Strut his way to heaven.

Lots of guitarists use the Roland Space Echo on the front end of the amp, over-driving the unit to get their tone.

I've got the RE150. Had it since they came out in the '80's. It doesn't have chorus but I use a Roland CE-1 for the chorus effect in tandem.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 4:28 pm    

Gotta hand it to Roland for making great gear.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 2:48 pm    

That they do. I have several pieces of their gear. My favorite for effects and electronics accessories.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 1:03 pm    

Hi Jerry,

I have the Roland/Boss RE-20 space echo which was the replacement for the 201 and I was trying to use this on my PSG for some good tones. However I can't seem to achieve that on the steel but on my Tele I can get the sound I want. Of course I am using a Peavey Nashville 112 amp on the Steel and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp on the Tele which might make the difference.

Do you have any suggestions for the application of the space echo on the steel.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 8:57 am    

Larry Ball wrote:

I have the Roland/Boss RE-20 space echo which was the replacement for the 201 and I was trying to use this on my PSG for some good tones.

I would try the reverb/echo settings and then fiddle with small amounts of echo and reverb volume as well as the repeat rate. A little might do the trick rather than over doing it with the intensity setting.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 8:48 pm    

If your question was directed at me Larry, I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with that piece of Roland echo gear. Most of my Roland/Boss stuff is in multi-fx rack units, a couple of expression pedals and a rhythm arranger/recorder along with a keyboard organ sim.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 8:13 am    

Thanks to you both for responding to my question. Yes this RE-20 was Roland/Boss answer to recapturing the renown sound of the 201. As I said it sounds great with a Tele or Strat and a Fender amp. However I can't get that same effect on my steel.

I have a old Boss Analog RV-3 Reverb/Delay pedal which gives me close to the sound I am looking for. Maybe the rest is up to my hands to generate. Just like any stringed instrument your hands/touch on the strings contribute to a large portion of your sound. I also went to a heavier bar (BJS) and that also improved the sound especially at the higher register.

thanks again Gentlemen

Larry Ball

Mullen SD10, Mission Pro Pedal, Peavey Nashville 112 amp,
and to many other guitars, amps and effects. to mention.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 8:01 am    

Update:

I worked with the RE-20 over the last couple of days and I think I have finally reached the sound I am looking for. I found the RE-20 a lot more sensitive to the settings in the Peavey amp. One thing improved on was the noise from the effect. The RE-20 is quiet where the RV-3 had some noise associated with it that I could not seem to get rid of.

So all being said I am a happier camper now and the rest is up to my hands and style.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 6:03 pm    

Good to hear that you were able to adjust things so it works for you. Sometimes electronics just take some tweaking to find the ideal settings. Happy Pickin'!