The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steelaire rack or Little Walter 89? Or 59?
Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 1:39 pm    

Thinkin about gettin a new amp. Kinda got it narrowed down to these 2. Would love some feedback on this. Thanks

Last edited by Kevin Quick on 13 Jul 2018 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 1:46 pm    

Can't really comment on the steelaire, but I have heard them a few times.

I love the tube tone of the 59' (same thing as the 89' with lower wattage). It's my favorite of all the amps I've owned (old Peavey, Nashville 112, Telonics) because of its really smooth and substantial lows, mids, and highs.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 2:44 am    

Apples and Oranges. One is a solid state amp and the other is a tube amp.

I have a Steelaire Rack and love it. Have never tried a Little Walter so I can't really comment on it.

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 2:56 am    

I have both and like Jack said apples and oranges. I use my Steelaire rack for a regular gospel gig I do where everything goes through the monitors no live amps. Everything else I use my Little Walter 89. I used it for the first time in a while last week for a country gig and I had forgotten how great it sounds.
Dale

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 3:15 am     Re: Steelaire rack or Little Walter 89?

Kevin Quick wrote:
Thinkin about gettin a new amp. Kinda got it narrowed down to these 2. Would love some feedback on this. Thanks

one is twice as much money as the other.. I've had the Quilter and presently have the 89,
The 89 has more character and feel than the Quilter,
the Quilter has more options, ohmic speaker options, the 89 has a direct out I use all the time as does the Quilter. I prefer tube stuff at this point, both good, do they sound the same? No, but neither is bad depends entirely on what you want to hear. That's absolutely the number one reason for MY amp choices.

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 8:21 am    

Dave Stroud wrote:
Can't really comment on the steelaire, but I have heard them a few times.

I love the tube tone of the 59' (same thing as the 89' with lower wattage). It's my favorite of all the amps I've owned (old Peavey, Nashville 112, Telonics) because of its really smooth and substantial lows, mids, and highs.

Ok the 59. Curious does it have enough wattage for medium to loud gigging situations?

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 8:24 am     59?

Anyone else out there using the 59?

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 5:26 pm    

I don't own either but I had the opportunity to play through both a LW89 and also a quilter rack while I was over playing at the Aussie steel convention in Brisbane a couple of weeks back.

The quilter rack belonged to my late mate Warren Neilsen and was very nice, I used this for the sunday jam so played it for several hours - nice and light, and I dialed in a good sound pretty quickly - didn't like the outboard pedalboard unit that had the reverb etc on it much though.
On the Saturday night show I played my set through Michel Roses brand new LW 89 and I have to say it was stunning - once I got Michel to tweak the highs to my tastes it was spot on... must say I was very impressed with the LW and it was also fairly light - I was expecting it to be quite heavy. I also used his Benado steel dream effects unit (I own one of these myself) !!!

So in fairness I didn't get to spend a lot of time with the Little Walter but it was head and shoulders ahead of the quilter in my opinion! The LW was going through a 15" Telonics (which I also use) and a Peavey 1201 ! I think the quilter was going through a Eminence TT12 !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.