The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for advanced and pro players!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 12:21 pm    

I've noticed that some pros occasionally insert a very tiny delay between the two notes when they're playing double stops. And so I ask the question..."Is this intentional?"

You see, when I started playing, I worked very hard to make sure that when I played two notes together, the notes would be picked at exactly the same time. Now, I'm not so sure that that's always the best technique. It seems that sometimes, the sound is a little fuller and more expressive if there's a slight (and I do mean slight) delay between the two notes. I was thinking it's this kind of subtlety that makes players "twinning" sound different than one player playing both notes.

Thoughts? Comments?

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 5:24 am    

Great question Donny! The guys I know who use (or used) this technique do (or did) it intentionally. Randy Rinehard was a master of the techinique, and he got it from Buddy Emmons. Bobby Flores does it well, and he got it from Randy AFAIK. I always referred to it as “flamming” the notes, borrowing from a term that normally applies to drum technique.

Lately I have been messing with it more myself. The band I play with started playing Ray Price’s “Another Bridge To Burn” and I am trying to incorporate this technique on the intro. The effect is rather subtle, but the slight timing offset of the notes gives you sort of a pseudo-chiming effect, similar to what happens when you play harmonics on two notes at once. If definitely adds some character and complexity in my mind, and contributes to the “bell-like” sound that is often referred to.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 5:42 am    

Tommy - Perhaps you could expand it into a flam-paradiddle!

Laughing

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 7:35 am    

If you want two notes to have the same tone you can strike them both with the same pick. This is often done with the thumb to get a fatter sound. As a result the two notes in the double stop will have a slight delay between them as they are picked sequentially by the same pick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 7:59 am    

Can you post an example (Youtube?)

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 11:39 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
If you want two notes to have the same tone you can strike them both with the same pick. This is often done with the thumb to get a fatter sound. As a result the two notes in the double stop will have a slight delay between them as they are picked sequentially by the same pick.

Exactly! The move is automatic when you do double-stops with just a thumb pick or a flat pick. But, it requires a deft touch to do it properly on steel when using a pick for each string. I couldn't find any good steel examples, but here's a stellar example of what the the technique sounds like when done on straight guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgJ11FzzUkI

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 6:11 pm    

I think Jerry Byrd referred to it as a pa-tah technique.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 10:43 pm    

Pianists do something similar. I suppose it's part of the business of voicing as it makes things sound more 3-dimensional. Emmons was a master of bringing out inner parts.

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 8:00 am    

Donny, Just slightly after 2:40, is this the sound you are referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LSBkLKf498

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 1:08 pm    

Yes Dale, you've got...that's the sound. It's not always that obvious when it's done, but it's still a neat little trick no matter who does it. One more little "arrow in the quiver", so to speak. And one more technique that sometimes goes unnoticed, and is seldom taught.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 7:27 am    

what I hear is is something similar to picking the first sting and then the C pedal on the 4th string going from a whole tone lower to unison or pick the 3rd string and and raise the 1st string. That 1st string raise was invented I think just for that sound.
I wouldn't call that a double stop.
Hughey used that at the beginning of his solo in "Look at Us".
of course you could just proceed up the neck picking the 1st sting and then slide up on the 4th and so on.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2018 7:12 am    

I'm a hack at theory, but I take "double stop" to signify two different notes played (picked) simultaneously. Of course, the two notes need not be on adjoining strings. However, I can't say exactly when it transitions from a "double stop" (done simultaneously) to two separate notes. Maybe there is a time designation, like a 32nd or 64th note, that determines that? Or, it could be that subtleties like that just aren't picked up in standard notation.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2018 5:53 pm    

Donny here is a piece I put together for a section in a Richard Linklater Movie soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/Ya1s-HiDxkg

I have that small Pa-Tah in this first section starting the second measure; then 4th measure....both on a walk up harmony scale thing; and a bunch more in the song.
I consider it a texture thing to the two notes picked...as the same timing is a blend and the pa-tah gives it a more character thing to the two notes.
And actually I got it from the days when I had my Hawaiian Band "The Island Echoes"...and as I listened and learned so much from the sounds and delivery of Jerry Byrd...that to me; is where I came from for my playing.
Ricky

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 9:27 am    

Wouldn't one simply think of the traditional music concept of the "grace note" here?
I think that for those of a certain level of skill, if you can hear it they wanted you to hear it.