The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker break in ?
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 5:00 pm    

Kevin - You said the amp had been serviced by Derrell. How long ago was that.

Also, what settings are you using?

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 5:16 pm    

Amp was serviced a couple of months ago. Treble on 2 max with expand on or off. Depth off, body and bass 7-8.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 5:44 am    

You should get good results with those settings.

You can get away with having the treble set on 2 with the Expand switch turned off. 2 can end up being too high with the Expand switch turned on.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 6:40 pm    

Quote:
Follow this link for the proper way to break speakers in using this method...

http://www.unclespot.com/speakerbreakin.html

FWIW since Ted passed away Weber does not break in recones.

There are studies on audiophile websites that cover speaker break-in. Most guitar-oriented sites just are not that scientific. I've been breaking in new speakers since the 60's, having learned about it from my dad. The cones *are* stiff when new - as are surrounds and spiders.

The entire assembly requires some "exercise" to settle in and reach its full frequency response.

I discussed my "music type" method with Ted years ago and he commented that is was probably faster and possibly better from a performance standpoint than the filament transformer method, but not as convenient (requiring a looping music source and soundproof area).
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 12:55 am    

I dunno...i wrote Ted Weber when he started making his original neodymium JBL clones, which i own 4-15' and 2-12". And he told me, speaker break in is way over rated, and just play through it, it will basically take care of itself. The Emmince speaker tech and jensen, told be basically the same thing. Emmince said they do any break in that's needed, right on the line. I never noticed that big of a difference. Play through it, in a week your fine. JMHO.

"While a new speaker is a little stiff when new and will pick up some low end as well as experience a downward shift in its bass resonance after it has been thrashed with high power for awhile,
generally, the speaker will sound very good right out of the box and the break in may not be as dramatic as some may claim.

Thanks very much,

Ted
Weber Speakers
1308 E. Hoffer St.
Kokomo, Indiana USA 46902
Fax 765.452.6228"

From Emmince
"Hi George,

Yes, there is a "break-in" period and it's going to happen whether you want it to or not. The speaker will continue to break-in as long as you use it, but the most noticeable amount occurs early on. Break-in is caused by the speaker heating up and softening. The resonant frequency will drop considerably at first and eventually level out to a slower decline as the moving parts wear. The change in tonality is overall warmth and a smoother top end. A lot of players are aware of this and don't bother playing it or making a judgement about the tone until it happens. Others like the speakers right out of the box. There are many methods people use to achieve break-in, such as using a variac or music for an extended amount of time. Some people even have a specific song they use. At Eminence, we use a noise signal generator set to a very low frequency when we want to test or compare. It's nearly impossible to do a fair comparison without some level of break-in. The idea is to get the speaker moving without causing abuse. Some of these methods can be risky. I've fried a few speakers in my time. The safest and simplest method to achieve break-in is to play it long and loud. It will eventually happen naturally. Other factors that can affect the rate are temperature and humidity. I can't really advise when it will occur because it varies from speaker to speaker. It can even vary with two of the same model.

Regards,

Anthony Lucas
Sr. Lab Technician
Eminence Speaker LLC
anthony.lucas@eminence.com
(502)845-5622 ext. 341"

From Jensen Speakers
"George:

I have found that Jensen musical instrument speakers sound great right out of the box. A lot of players just need time to become accustomed to the new speaker's tonal response and feel when changing from a speaker they may have used for years.

Thank you for your interest in Jensen Musical Instrument Speakers,

Kurt
Jensen Speakers
www.jensenvintage.com