The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A few newbie questions
Geoffrey Collier

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 1:08 pm    

I'm a guitarist. In a moment of insanity I picked up a pedal steel. A guy a few hours from me had an MSA classic d10 for $1300 (no case) in good condition, and it seemed like a deal. Since I know theory I have been figuring it out on my own, with a few books. I "cheat" and use a few guitar habits-no finger picks, and use 3 fingers instead of two (I assume the PD police won't bust me!). (I'm working on the e9 neck only for now).

A newbie question:
My levers from left to right, using the most common nomenclature, appear to be:
F E ? D
?-raises high D# to E and F# to G#.
Does this have a standard letter or name? Or maybe the guy who sold it to me had it in a nonstandard tuning?

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 1:26 pm    

Very standard Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 3:08 pm    

It’s the G lever. Standard for it used to be to raise F# to G, but what it’s doing on your guitar has become so common that it is also considered standard. Determining standards with psg copedents is somewhat of an exercise in futility.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 7:48 pm    

It may include dropping your 6th string or raising your 7th string, too.

.................Pat

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 7:46 am    

Naming of the levers can, and will, change depending on the player. The one lever that was named decades ago is the F lever (raising the E's to F). Things are starting to standardize a little. You often hear the E to D# lever referred to as the D lever (I would call it the E lever as it affects the E strings). I would use the D lever for the second string lowers, as one of the notes is a D note.

I never refer to any levers by a letter, except the F lever, which is pretty much used by a majority of steel players. I will refer to a lever by what it does, like lowers string 2, raising 1,2, and lowering 6.

It would be nice if there was a standard, but who will make the standards. Some will resist some levers being named something, when they already refer to the lever by a different lever letter.

Another issue is that players might have different other changes on a lever that has a name. For instance, in the past, raising strings 1 and 7 from F# to G was very commonly called the G lever. Now raising 1 to G#, 2 to E, and lowering 6 to F# (or raising 7 to G#) is commonly referred to as the G lever. How is one to be sure which changes are on a G lever whdn someone mentions the G lever. I'm sure a lot of us older players still call the F#'s to G the G lever.

Geoffrey Collier

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 4:39 pm     thanks!

I'll just put a label on it that says "g". I just need something to get me organized, and for my own notations.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2018 2:10 pm    

I'd sooner call it RKL (because that's its location: Right Knee moving Left), or "1st and 2nd string raise".
But it's a standard change. I like it better on a pedal, so it can combine with the whole tone drop of 2.
The most evident and obvious use of it is the intro to Brad Paisley's "He Didn't Have To Be", where it, along with the A pedal just before it, make up the entire intro.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2018 8:11 pm     a few newbe questions

welcome to the crazy world of steel guitar. Since Mr. Buddy Emmons set his pedals up A-B-C and Mr. Jimmy Day set his up C-B-A That was the start. The raise 4-8 is F knee lever, Lower 4-8 D knee lever.
You just have to figure out what they do, Where they are located, and how to use them.
To get a faster start and understanding the E9th neck I would suggest getting an E9th Mel Bay Steel Guitar chord chart. It helps you transfer moves from a 6 string neck to the steel guitar. Notes which strings to pick too.
Good Luck, The adventure begins, Happy Steelin.

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2018 11:47 am    

What really gets me is you get someone who is describing the knee levers for instance they will say just push the lol most of the time that would be raising Es to F on Emmons set up I play day set up and my Es to Ed are on my rkr and my e yo f are on my lot it would be nice to at least say what the knee lever is doing some of our new players may not be far enough alone to figure it out let's not get them confused just imo thanks

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2018 1:29 pm    

Paul Pearson wrote:
What really gets me is you get someone who is describing the knee levers for instance they will say just push the lol most of the time that would be raising Es to F on Emmons set up I play day set up and my Es to Ed are on my rkr and my e yo f are on my lot it would be nice to at least say what the knee lever is doing some of our new players may not be far enough alone to figure it out let's not get them confused just imo thanks

That's why saying to use a LKL or ??? is really useless. I play Day, and my E's to Eb are on my LKL. Yours are on your RKR.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 3:31 am     Re: A few newbie questions

Geoffrey Collier wrote:
I "cheat" and use a few guitar habits-no finger picks, and use 3 fingers instead of two (I assume the PD police won't bust me!)...

I would recommend that you begin using finger picks as soon as possible! I've noticed it to be a common trend for 'converting guitarists' to avoid them out of comfort, to make it feel more familiar. But, trust me, it DOES make a big difference in everything (tone, control, speed, etc.). It may seem too awkward to handle at first, but just have faith that it only takes a few weeks (or maybe less) for finger picks to feel even more natural than playing without them.

As for three fingers, that's perfectly acceptable. I use three finger picks and a thumb pick, and I'm not alone. Though it's much less common, there are several high-profile players who have also done this... to include my greatest Hall Of Fame hero, the late Maurice Anderson (who was the "A" in your MSA).

Otherwise, enjoy your journey. If you already have guitar skills, they will eventually prove to be an advantage. BUT, I found it best to pretend I didn't play guitar, and to learn steel as if it was the first instrument I had ever played. Again, just give it a few weeks.

Last edited by Jeff Harbour on 3 Aug 2018 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 7:04 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Paul Pearson wrote:

That's why saying to use a LKL or ??? is really useless. I play Day, and my E's to Eb are on my LKL. Yours are on your RKR.

Which is why, on all of my videos, I explain what my knees do before I start playing.
Rather than give levers names or letters, I prefer to call them by their function

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 8:11 am    

Sounds like you got an absolute steal of a deal on that guitar, how did you hear about it?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 8:21 am    

Once you get to where you feel ready to take it out of the house, I'd recommend not just a case, but split cases. That's a heavy guitar, and it's easier with the legs, pedal bat and pedal rods in the other half.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 12:27 pm    

Mine is a Day, and LKL does E to Eb; Rkl does E to F. I have a LKV that I can't tell you out of memory what it does, but gives me some cool 9th cords; RKL does B to A (which is very cool!) and RKR does some stuff with the 1 & 2 strings (and possibly something else). Like you, I'm an old 6 string player and just learning it, and I can't really tell you what they are named. So, I just mash stuff until it sounds good (my ear knows a lot more about it than my brain, and that's OK with me - all that'll come later). I have a zero pedal which is about a half of a Franklin, but don't use it much. I will tell you this though: I'm already wanting a couple more levers. I can't really tell you what I'd want them to do but, if my ear could talk, it could.

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 10:05 pm     Re: A few newbie questions

[quote="Geoffrey Collier"]I'm a guitarist. In a moment of insanity I picked up a pedal steel. A guy a few hours from me had an MSA classic d10 for $1300 (no case) in good condition, and it seemed like a deal. Since I know theory I have been figuring it out on my own, with a few books. I "cheat" and use a few guitar habits-no finger picks, and use 3 fingers instead of two (I assume the PD police won't bust me!). (I'm working on the e9 neck only for now).

I was like you (6 string lead guitarist), learning on PSG. I saw one of the Eagles, playing steel, with just his fingers,(I think it was Don Felder), so I started that way--but I soon started using picks. (They do feel much better, after you get used to them!) -Jake-