The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  7 string Dobro/Resonator——edited
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 2:47 pm    

Looking for a spider type dobro/resonator.

PM me if you have one please.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Last edited by Marty Broussard on 20 Jul 2018 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 3:45 pm    

Try www.resohangout.com Many more resonators there.

Thanx,
Jim

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 4:48 pm     Mckenna 7 string

Marty, I sent you a PM

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 8:55 pm    

Jim, just responded to your PM.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 9:57 am     PM Sent

PM Sent. I have the McKenna

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 11:07 am    

Had some good feedback on some 8 string tricones but I’d really like a 7 stringer so I’m editing my request to a spider style in lieu of a tricone to see if I can find one of those.

Thanks

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 1:43 pm    

So Marty, I guess the 7 string McKenna Jimmie owns isn't your cup of tea?

As you no doubt have been finding out, 7 string resonators are as rare as hen's teeth.

I've only played a couple myself, the most recent one is a maple Clinesmith that belongs to a guy fairly local to me and who happens to live pretty close to b0b.

We were at a jam awhile back and he was playing my 6 string Clinesmith while I had a go at his 7 string.

I fell in love with that guitar and didn't want to give it back. It was a lot of fun to play and sounded incredible. And like all of Todd's guitars it was a real looker.

Todd was posting here a few years ago trying to track down 7 string offset spiders and I know he came up with a few. No clue what's in his stash currently.

We don't know your budget and if you're trying to track one down as soon as possible for an upcoming project, but if you're not in a hurry and budget allows you might want to get a hold of Todd Clinesmith.

Paul Beard has also made some nice 7 strings - no idea if he has the offset spiders in stock to where he could make one for you but again, if budget allows that's another avenue to pursue.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 3:25 pm     7 string

Hey Marty, you’ve seen this ShoBro before...I’m done with it if you’re interested..I bought it off the forum years ago for $1200 plus shipping...great shape..up for offers...Larry

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 6:38 pm    

Mark,
Unless I miscounted the tuning holes on the headstock Jimmie’s is an 8 string. That’s why I stated that I had good offers for some 8 Stringers.

Btw, I did purchase an offset spider from Paul just to have a spare if needed.

Larry,
I may be in touch. I might have a chance to get my Adams 7 string back. If I had the money for 2 guitars I’d take yours now.

Best regards
MB

Last edited by Marty Broussard on 20 Jul 2018 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 6:45 pm     7 string

Marty Broussard wrote:
Mark,
Unless I miscounted the tuning holes on the headstock Jimmie’s is an 8 string. That’s why I stated that I had good offers for some 8 strings.

Btw, I did purchase an offset spider from Paul.

Larry,
I may be in touch. I might have a chance to get my Adams 7 string back. If I had the money for 2 guitars I’d take yours now.

Best regards
MB
The 8 string head stock can be shaped to remove one of the tuning peg holes to make it a 7 string neck. All that would be needed is a 7 string tail pc. The bridge has not been slotted so you can make it a 7 string bridge. A 7 string tri cone is a rare bird.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 6:48 pm    

Marty, FYI I have a trombone gig with the Anchorage Symphony next week until Sept 15th...I’ll be home Sep 20th where the 7 string is. Larry Shocked

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 8:47 pm    

Hey Jimmie,
When I posted this add last week and received your email I was actually on vacation. Just got home and measured the string spacing at the nut of my OMI 8-string. I’m measuring 7mm string spacing with about 2mm on the front and back shoulder of the nut. This may just work out if we can trim the neck width?? At the time I didn’t want to ask you or anyone else if they could help me cut the width of the neck so the slants and cosmetics would be correct. As far as the headstock, I’d simply install a plug if I can find a wood match.

I kept your emails and telephone number and will try to call you tomorrow to discuss it further. I should have been more patient before totally abandoning the prospect of trying to make it work.

Best regards
MB

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 7:21 am     neck

Marty Broussard wrote:
Hey Jimmie,
When I posted this add last week and received your email I was actually on vacation. Just got home and measured the string spacing at the nut of my OMI 8-string. I’m measuring 7mm string spacing with about 2mm on the front and back shoulder of the nut. This may just work out if we can trim the neck width?? At the time I didn’t want to ask you or anyone else if they could help me cut the width of the neck so the slants and cosmetics would be correct. As far as the headstock, I’d simply install a plug if I can find a wood match.

I kept your emails and telephone number and will try to call you tomorrow to discuss it further. I should have been more patient before totally abandoning the prospect of trying to make it work.

Best regards
MB
The neck can be shaped to size. I can do that for you. Most 7 string necks are 53 to 56 mm total at the nut. Just need to know what you prefer.