The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Duesenberg Multibender Players
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 7:04 pm    

In anticipation of my new Fairytale arriving, I've been listening to as much Duesenberg Multibender stuff as I can find. Here are some that I like:

Luke Cyrus Goetze

Luke is right at the top of the list for great players, playing a Duesenberg Fairytale. He plays a GBDF#AD . The pedals raise the F# to G and the A to B Here are some examples:

Harvest Moon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLOOmtvC9Hc&index=2&t=0s&list=PLSgi4DURZZZjdW0f3gQebnCRz1J6bUHtn

And an untitled piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxPjxYpUrog&list=PLSgi4DURZZZjdW0f3gQebnCRz1J6bUHtn&index=4

Martin Huch is amazing and consulted on the design of the multibender system. A lot of his stuff out there to check out. :

His promotional piece for the Fairytale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBviEz13q6M&list=PLSgi4DURZZZjdW0f3gQebnCRz1J6bUHtn&index=12

And Martin demonstrating some the pedal steel style licks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0QOxsSxMRw&list=PLSgi4DURZZZiurnx7V-ypimBVbf0feNC7&index=5

Unknown guy does some nice looping stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgRHF6mfag&index=20&list=PLSgi4DURZZZiurnx7V-ypimBVbf0feNC7

And we can't forget Mike "Slo-Mo" Brenner, who breaks down the multibender in D tuning. Great Tutorial

Part one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3vkVTIF0Y&t=7s&list=PLSgi4DURZZZiurnx7V-ypimBVbf0feNC7&index=3

Part Two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvfVd8P9rUc&t=0s&list=PLSgi4DURZZZiurnx7V-ypimBVbf0feNC7&index=2

there is a bunch of stuff out there, enjoy.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 5:32 am    

Thanks Bill!

Love the Martin Huch playing.

If you get a chance...visit the Jackson Steel Guitar web site. They have a "string bender" model and some great demonstration video.
https://www.jacksonsteelguitar.com/

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 5:48 am    

Yes, I've been listening to Goetz a lot too for a while. I really like his playing.
Nob Sugino is good too although his style is a bit different. He does a lot of looping.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Daniel Larson

Jus’ standin’ in the doorway
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 10:10 am    

Hi,

Hope you don’t mind a new member post here, and I’m also a noob to lap steel. Very cool to see this post as through some sheer coincidence, I saw Luke Cyrus Goetze’s video of ‘Heroes’ on my Facebook feed. He was playing the Fairytale and my jaw just dropped at his style and tone (the cool look of the Fairytale didn’t hurt either). I immediately liked his and Duesenberg’s FB pages and started researching him (and Duesenberg) on YouTube. Saw almost all of Luke’s stuff, and some of the fantastic Martin Huch. I’ve been a six-stringer almost all my life, but several yrs. ago bought a cheap Maverick which I really didn’t pursue playing. Still have it somewhere...

Anyway, I have been really inspired by Luke, Martin, and many other YouTube stars in the last couple of weeks and I hope to do better this time as I just took receipt of a new Fairytale via The Guitar Sanctuary (apparently they were one of the only ones in the USA with stock). But it arrived with a bent adjustment screw on the MultiBender (pretty sure it was something stupid the shipper did), so they’re sending me another bender which I told them I would install rather than dealing with the headache of having them send me another Fairytale, me return this one, etc. I also have a Lehle volume pedal coming in 2-3 weeks, and I’m looking for recommendations for a tone bar - something similar to Luke’s maybe. I asked him on FB which one he uses and he basically said he couldn’t talk about it because it is not branded. But it seems he really flows with that thing...and the Fairytale...and his signal chain...

As you can see I’m in honeymoon phase but thanks for letting me ramble!

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 4:13 am    

Hi, I am toying with the idea of buying a multi-bender but I can't find anything on Duesenberg's pages regarding dimensions and wanted to ask you all if you could measure the units for me!
I have a homemade lap steel which is my prototype for trying anything new. It has an LP Junior type bridge. If I measure from the point where the strings go over the bridge to the rear-end of the guitar, I have 6 centimeters (2.36"). Is that enough to securely mount the multi-bender? I'm not fussed if the unit overhangs the end of the instrument but I want to ensure that it that it can be properly secured.

\ paul

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 9:14 am    

Hello Paul,
Here's a picture of one I am about to install. The overall length, front to back, is 3.25". The rear mounting screws are 2.75" from the front of the unit. With the roller saddles pushed all the way back (see 5th string saddle) it's about 2.125" to the rear mounting screws. Hope that helps.

Nils Kirschlager

Germany
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 2:26 am    

This is a picture of my recently updated Gretsch G5715. Installing the Multibender wasn't too complicated thanks to very helpful advise from Peter Funk, whose great Multibender videos (also modified Gretsch) should be mentioned in this thread also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkJEedN2fFg&frags=pl%2Cwn

Question to the Gretsch owners with modding-experience: can anyone recommend a) a fitting nut with a wider string spacing and b) a replacement fretboard with the right scale? The markings come off easily on the plastic original. Some already complained about this in the forum. Any links to these parts will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Edit: when installing the multibender, I recommend to align the saddles in a straight line and place it right at the doubled length of the 12th fret marker (=scale length). I left some play for the saddles but there was no further work on intonation needed.

Nils Kirschlager

Germany
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 2:52 am    

Paul Seager wrote:
Hi, I am toying with the idea of buying a multi-bender but I can't find anything on Duesenberg's pages regarding dimensions and wanted to ask you all if you could measure the units for me!
I have a homemade lap steel which is my prototype for trying anything new. It has an LP Junior type bridge. If I measure from the point where the strings go over the bridge to the rear-end of the guitar, I have 6 centimeters (2.36"). Is that enough to securely mount the multi-bender? I'm not fussed if the unit overhangs the end of the instrument but I want to ensure that it that it can be properly secured.

\ paul

The Multibender alone measures 8cm in length, and depending on your scale length it will be difficult to install it properly with 6cm of room behind the pickup. And I wouldn't recommend just attaching the front half. Here's another picture of my Gretsch-mod. All saddled are set to 57,1cm scale length. Don't forget the ground wire Wink

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 11:23 am    

Congrats to you new Fairytale owners. I’ve had one for some time, and in several ways it’s the finest lap steel I’ve ever played. Every instrument and design , of course, has its own pluses and minuses, but Duesenberg has obviously put in serious R&D and player feedback time. A truly stellar instrument. Enjoy!

Luke Goetze

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 7:31 am    

Hey Daniel,

I'm really happy you liked my videos. I'm always very happy to help with details and suggestions, so when I wasn't able to tell what my tone bar is, I literally couldn't because I don't know. The guy from the shop let me try it and I liked it, I never asked what it was. Smile. I'm not restricted by endorsements and the like, because I don't have any.

Thanks!!

Daniel Larson wrote:
Hi,

I asked him on FB which one he uses and he basically said he couldn’t talk about it because it is not branded. But it seems he really flows with that thing...and the Fairytale...and his signal chain...

As you can see I’m in honeymoon phase but thanks for letting me ramble!
Smile Smile Smile Smile

Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 8:22 am     Modified Gretsch

Hi all.
I have one of those Gretsch lap steels too. First lap y ever bought.
Two aspects i didn't like were string spacing at the nut and thin sound.
How did i solved it??

New electronics, everything. From wires, pots, cap, jack and pickup. Seymour Duncan Phat Cat. Now sounds way better and without the annoying hiss it originally came with.

Nut spacing, bought the same cheap bridge it comes with, cut it to fit neck and used it as nut. Now its taperless and comfortable.

Edit. Forgot to mention the knobs. Now with new pots n knobs they turn as should, with the correct "weight" and response.

Iorana