Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Midnight - 1970 Emmons Resto - Phase 3
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 6:32 pm    

Don Mogle wrote:
Now that's a real RED BELLY!

Yes it's red, but she is not a 64 Smile. It's going to be a SUPER cool 1970 cut tail.

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Last edited by Mike Scaggs on 7 May 2018 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 12:19 am    

Can't beat a black mica push pull. Classic - that will be a real tone machine. BTW - where will you hangs the cat's tail? Laughing
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 2:57 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
Can't beat a black mica push pull. Classic - that will be a real tone machine. BTW - where will you hangs the cat's tail? Laughing

Haha Ken, thanks for the heads up on the "Cat Tail" spelling fixed....

Not exactly sure where Midnight will land. I have a person who has first right of refusal and another very interested party. We will see where she lands at the end. One of these days I'm going to have to keep one for me Smile

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 3:15 pm    

My hands might just be black from now on!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 6:16 pm    

Final flocking... Now I wait 24 hours to dry and blow it off... boom! RED

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 10 May 2018 12:21 pm    

I think this guitar deserves to be played with a pair of black cherry Lucchese boots!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 10 May 2018 5:27 pm    

Yeah, Randy, or a pair of Paul Bond Customs! Cool

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 8:01 pm    

A little before and after on the bell cranks

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 6:28 am    

I'm lovin' this thread. Bringing back to life a push-pull workhorse that's undoubtedly seen the inside of a hundred+ bars and then some. As a p/p player I recognize every part, step and the time, effort and knowledge Mike is putting into it. Way impressive.

And, of course, the choice of black mica.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 4:31 am    

Well, I should get all the polishing back this week and get fired back up on ole Midnight. This guitar is really going to be a good one I predict.

Cheers,

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 5:03 am     Maple Might Be Able

Quote:
An Emmons PP body is 1/2" straight grained maple, and yes, I do think that is <part> of the tone, for sure. I could easily make a new body, but you cannot make age! That wood has been vibrating for 48 years, and like an old Martin, it really does matter...

Begs the against-the-grain question, why not give that historic wood a chance to breathe and be seen and heard rather than be covered by synthetic cabinet material?

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 4:12 am     Re: Maple Might Be Able

Jeff Evans wrote:
Quote:
An Emmons PP body is 1/2" straight grained maple, and yes, I do think that is <part> of the tone, for sure. I could easily make a new body, but you cannot make age! That wood has been vibrating for 48 years, and like an old Martin, it really does matter...

Begs the against-the-grain question, why not give that historic wood a chance to breathe and be seen and heard rather than be covered by synthetic cabinet material?

Because the customer wants black mica and the guitar was orig mica too. I have done mica to lacquer conversions and it is a ton of work and expense that many are not willing to pay for.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 6:27 am    

The mica just might add to the tone. Plastic does vibrate and produce sound. Think of the "moan" of a vintage bake-lite Rickenbacher.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 9:08 am     Re: Maple Might Be Able

Jeff Evans wrote:
Quote:

An unadulterated push pull with no mica or veneer finish would be a very plain creature indeed. Even a lacquered finish would affect the overall tone even without a veneered covering. I think that the owner of this guitar is right to want it kept with a classic black mica finish. As pretty as the guitars have turned out that Mike has stripped back and veneered, stained and lacquered, the tone of a good push pull "covered by synthetic cabinet material" is still that which is coveted by many players who know great steel guitar tone.

I have lacquered and mica covered guitars, and they all have great tone. However, there is something about the mid range tonal clarity that a mica push pull gives out that makes it special.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 10:04 am    

Mike you do unbelievable craftsmanship my hats off to you!!!! A full restoration on a push pull is priceless!!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 11:39 am    

Johnie King wrote:
Mike you do unbelievable craftsmanship my hats off to you!!!! A full restoration on a push pull is priceless!!

Thanks Mr Johnny

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 4:42 am    

Bud's polishing is just the best in my book

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 10:19 am    

That is definitely what you call a mirror finish!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2018 5:25 am    

Phase II of the Midnight project is the assembly. Here we go guys

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2018 5:36 pm    

Here's a little more progress. Got her strung up and man it's ringing like the Liberty bell! Sure is easier to wire with no undercarriage in place Smile

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 3:41 am     emmons

OOOH BABY!

Love the biscuit solution, and use of urethane as bottom sealer..and everything else too.

Will we be treated to a Beavers "ring out" video? Pretty please?

Best, JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 3:43 am     Re: emmons

john widgren wrote:
OOOH BABY!

Love the biscuit solution, and use of urethane as bottom sealer..and everything else too.

Will we be treated to a Beavers "ring out" video? Pretty please?

Best, JW

Ha! Thanks John,

Yeah, I'm sure Randy will test the waters as I see him about once a week. The urethane is an important step to keeping the moister out of the wood or bad things will occur as you already know.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 8:40 am    

Mike, what kind of thread lock do you have on the tuners. Haven’t had and luck with Locktite or Permatech thread lock. Neither ever sets up. It almost ruined a friends guitar. Guitar got hot in their bus where it was stored and it ran down into changer and locked changer up.
You do more than a superb job on those rebuilds and believe me, I know how much work goes into it.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 8:59 am    

Looking like a brand new push pull. Mike do u work on All Pull Emmons?

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 1:26 pm    

Henry Matthews wrote:
Mike, what kind of thread lock do you have on the tuners. Haven’t had and luck with Locktite or Permatech thread lock. Neither ever sets up. It almost ruined a friends guitar. Guitar got hot in their bus where it was stored and it ran down into changer and locked changer up.
You do more than a superb job on those rebuilds and believe me, I know how much work goes into it.

That thread lock is factory Emmons stuff, the bolts come that way sir. Thanks Henry