The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  â€œRake” lick
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 9:50 pm    

Has anyone ever heard of the rake lick or technique? I know what you’re going to all think. “ I buy my rake at the hardware store”. Haha but I’m asking about a lick that has been used by players like Julian tharpe and Chalker. Any advice about licks they can be performed out of this string rake??

I guess how I do it is start from string 10 with my thumb muting the bottom strings up till the 3rd and release, but i’m wondering if any of you more experienced players have any licks that can be performed on top of the simple rake ?!??

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 3:47 am    

Cameron,

Have a listen to Buddy playing Wills Point. He does great rakes through the chorus and at the end of the verse. Hard technique to master and he nails it every time. Sheer magic in his playing.

regards,

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 8:38 am    

Those rakes in Wills Point are done with a finger...most likely the second finger pulling down across the strings and being immediately muted so as to sound like one string is being picked at a time.

There can be variations in the details, but that's the gist of it. Buddy doesn't do any thumb rakes until the final chord.

Hope I'm referring to the same thing you are.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 10:25 am    

I use the index finger. It's not that difficult, you just have to start slow. Couldn't really tell ya how I block it without being at the guitar.. maybe ring finger? Go slow and it will come pretty quickly.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 11:11 am    

On E-9th.. As stated.. pedals up or down. Rake strings 4,5 and 6 with your finger. Hit the 8th string with your thumb. The secret is as you rake strings 4,5,6, draw the bar down as you rake. The 2nd finger behind the bar mutes these strings, then hit the 8th string. Boy does that sound fast. Just takes practice, it's not hard......End of Rant Smile

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 12:22 pm    

Thanks all you guys , great tips I will try ! Always like unique yet simple sounds to play around with !

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 1:09 pm    

Letting my bar fingers stick a little over the top of the bar, I drag my right hand all the way from string 3 to string nine. No pedals. The left hand going down just a tad behind the right. This should be done over just one beat. The end result should be an incredibly fast 9th chord arpessio. When I try it, I only get it about 10% of the time. RP

Franklin

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 2:53 pm    

Hi Cameron,

I teach the Hawaiian finger rake as Buddy, Noel Boggs, and the earlier non pedal players used. I also teach the "picked rake" which is a more precise evolution of the rake technique so players can choose what is easiest for their physicality.. Personally, I found the picked rake to be much cleaner and easier to use than the finger rake.

Paul

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 7:43 pm    

Franklin wrote:
Hi Cameron,

I teach the Hawaiian finger rake as Buddy, Noel Boggs, and the earlier non pedal players used. I also teach the "picked rake" which is a more precise evolution of the rake technique so players can choose what is easiest for their physicality.. Personally, I found the picked rake to be much cleaner and easier to use than the finger rake.

Paul
I guess I wasn't clear on my explanation. I also rake with the index finger (with the pick on). I agree this is much cleaner than doing it with a bare finger.