The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SD-10 New Pad
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 10:29 pm    

New thin pad for my Carter SD-10

Still a work in progress. I have some dark gray suede to cover it. The blue stuff is 1/8" high-density, closed-cell foam. I used adhesive spray to cement the foam to the original 1/4" plywood base.

This steel seemed more resonant with the pad removed. I considered going without the pad, but the glossy mica surface required too much attention. And I like having the pad to contain my picks and bar.

The pad base is affixed to the cabinet with 5 screws. I made standoffs from a 1mm plastic kitchen mat. The standoffs under each of the screws maintain a gap between the pad and the top deck.

Last edited by Dan Robinson on 12 Jul 2018 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 11:13 pm    

“This steel seemed more resonant with the pad removed. “
I had a similar conversation with Ross at Sierra, who considers the deck to be part of the soundboard.

As much as possible, decouple the pad from the deck.
Reduce the size of the pad to only the area where your right arm needs support. That could mean only half or a quarter the size of the usual pad.
This could leave the top freer to vibrate, and also not block the sound from getting to your ears, acoustically.

John

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 4:53 pm    

John Goux wrote:
... I had a similar conversation with Ross at Sierra, who considers the deck to be part of the soundboard.

As much as possible, decouple the pad from the deck.

John, yes, that's it exactly! To the extent the deck behaves like a soundboard, let it ring. A pad fastened tight against the deck will dampen vibrations. I used standoffs to raise the pad above the deck. I hope that will decouple it acoustically.

I can see that the 1/4" plywood base is warped.

I'm going to replace it with a thinner, lighter board. Might reduce the size, but I'm limited by the location of the mounting screws. I don't want to make any new holes in the deck.

Will also double the standoff height from 1mm to 2mm. It needs clearance for the fabric cover.