The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Revelation Preamp Settings
Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 7:52 pm    

Could I get some numbers for my Rev. Preamp ? I need a starting point. Thanks, Gary

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 5:33 am     Rev settings

Hi Gary

I sent you a PM with information that should get you started in the right direction. The Revelation preamp is a "fine" piece of equipment. It has a lot of tone shaping features that should get you a sound that you are pleased with.

Ray DeVoe
Spring Hill, FL

Gary Arnold

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 10:27 pm    

Thanks Ray. I got the PM message.

Gary Arnold

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 10:27 pm    

It's just what I needed. Thanks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 8:33 am    

Not meaning to hijack Gary's post but Ray I would appreciate a copy too if you would.

Thank you much.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 8:37 am    

I'm curious also, would love to have a copy myself.

Thanks!

Skeeter

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 12:19 pm    

Since there are others interested in the settings, I will post what I sent Gary. The one thing to remember is that everything in the signal chain affects the overall sound and this is just a suggested starting point. I have owned Revelation preamps ever since they were first produced and these settings work well for me. My current Revelations are the octal tube models but I still use the same settings.

The picture pretty much shows my Revelation tone control settings.

In short, they are as follows.

Vari Z: usually around 11 to 1 ( looking at a clock dial )
Dark / bright: in the middle position.
Gain: usually around 6 when playing out. ( gain and master volume settings are important as the tone changes if they are increased a lot. ( I usually run the Master a little lower than the Gain. ) around 4 to 5 on the Master.

Treble: 2.5 to 3
Mid : 4
Color: 6
Bass: 4
Master: as stated 4 to 5

If you want a sound that features more mids, here are some different settings. These are pretty much what Brad Sarno recommends as a starting point.
Vari Z: usually around 11 to 1 ( looking at a clock dial )
Dark / bright: in the middle position.
Gain: usually around 6 when playing out. ( gain and master volume settings are important as the tone changes if they are increased a lot. ( I usually run the Master a little lower than the Gain. ) around 4 to 5 on the Master.

Treble: 2.5 to 3
Mid : 4 to 5
Color: 5
Bass: 5
Master: as stated 4 to 5

Other things to mention are that the only effect units that will work with the Revelation effect loop are ones that can be set at a 100 percent “wet”. That’s because the effect loop runs in parallel with the preamp analog signal and has to be blended in with the knob on front. The other alternative is to run the line level effect unit inbetween the Revelation output and the power amp or module input. I do that with a rack that I have with a Classic preamp in it. The Classic does not have an effect loop.

The second main item to watch is your volume / gain curve. I try and set my power module gain / volume control to just over half way.. If you are running a lot of power and the power amp is set too high, the sound will be harsh and the volume pedal curve will be awkward to use. It will raise the volume too quickly and you wont be able to get a good sound. Try setting your power amp to give you the range you need when the gain and master are set on the Rev as displayed above. I never run the gain above 7 and master above 5 on the Revelation as I am running a very hot power module. The Furlong modules that I use, put out 500 watts at 4 ohms.

I hope this gets you off to a good start.

Ray DeVoe