The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Here is something you don't see everyday: Franklin pedalbro
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 2:05 pm    

Guy just dropped the price $8k. Still !0k higher than I'd pay but interesting looking instrument.
https://reverb.com/item/12320592-franklin-pedabro-8-of-25-ever-pedal-resonator

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 4:51 pm     Dire Straights

Paul Franklin played one of these - likely the 1st one - all over a Dire Straights Record they did in Nashville.

I wasn't aware that any more were made for sale.

Sounds like a precious find.
YouTube Channel

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 8:36 pm    

According to Paul Franklin Sr., only 25 pedabros were built. The first country song to feature the pedabro was "Forever & Ever, Amen", then a few years later, a steel player/songwriter/record producer, Carson Chamberlain had played steel and pedabro with Keith Whitley until Keith died. Carson's pedabro was different because it had an E9th pedal steel neck and a pedabro neck-it was seen in Keith's video, "I'm No Stranger To The Rain", and also when Keith was on Austin City Limits, playing "I Never Go Around Mirrors". In the 90s, the pedabro was heard on a few Shania Twain hits, including the fourth single on her "Woman In Me" record, "If You're Not In It For Love, I'm Outta Here", played by Paul Franklin. I think Sonny Garrish had played a pedabro a few times, and a pedabro is also heard on Josh Turner's very first song, "Long Black Train", and it's also featured on "Good Directions" by Billy Currington.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 8:56 pm    

Bill, it’s a Pedabro.

As pointed out by Brett, Paul Sr. made 25 of these guitars.

The asking price in the past several years has been $12-$15K. The seller is saying it’s discounted from $20K. Why not say $30K - then it sounds even better.

There is a certain cool factor with these guitars, but IMO they aren't $12,000 cool unless you have money to burn.

I have been around a few of these over the years up close and personal. Nice sound, interesting concept, but lacking in volume next to a high quality modern resonator guitar.

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 10 Jul 2018 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 11:11 am     Pedanro

My friend and fellow steeler Joe Rodgers brought his to my house one night many moons ago and I got to play it. Very good sounding guitar and hopefully Joe will chime in here on the serial number which I think was like 2 or 3. I believe he sold it back to Sr.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 11:20 am    

Brett did his usual fine job above in supplying some steel guitar history to the thread, but conspicuous in its absence - and I believe we have been down this road in the past in another Pedabro thread - is a CD where the Pedabro was played on almost every track: Resocasters

Resocasters came out in 2003 featuring Jimmy Heffernan and Mike Auldridge on various dobros/resonators, and Hal Rugg on the Franklin Pedabro. All three pickers are simply magnificent. After listening to Hal on this guitar, it makes me want to buy a stack of lottery tickets on the very slim chance I would win a nice chunk of dough and I could buy a Pedabro for myself.

But if you're playing at a decent sized acoustic jam, you probably have to mic the Pedabro into something like an acoustic guitar amp to be heard. Sweet tone (in a player with the chops), but as I alluded to in my earlier post - they aren't very loud.

If somehow you missed out on this album over the years you can purchase it from Jimmy Heffernan:

http://www.jimmyheffernan.com/store-2/products/the-resocasters-cd/

And what's cool for us dobro players is that Mike and Jim play in some alternate tunings beyond good ol' GBDGBD, and these are listed for each song in the CD booklet. So there's a little bit of education for the player beyond the quality of the music itself.