The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where to put these levers?
Garry Moore

USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 6:06 am    

Anybody with a 6139 3x4 that could measure and tell me where the 2 left knees go? About how far from the left and how much space in between? Is there a good rule of thumb? I'm a measure twice and drill once type of guy. Thanks!

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 6:11 am    

If it was me, I'd put them where they're most comfortable to ME and toward the back apron - I never cared for the way ShoBud angled that one lever. I guess placement would be somewhat limited by the design of the hardware.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 6:30 am    

Can’t give you an exact measurement, since my 6139 is in it’s case in the back of a closet full of other gear, but this might help.
I installed the 2 L KL’s myself, and you should know that I put the LL a little too far away from the LR.
It should be an inch or so closer to the LR.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 6:44 am    

I have a LDG, on a double frame. I didn't like where Sho~Bud put the left levers. I sat at the steel, put my foot on the A-B pedals, and with a pencil, held it against the left side of my leg. then marked on the bottom of the guitar. Did the same for the right side of the leg. Now you have 2 marks on your guitar, on yours would be near the back apron. now you have the width of your leg. Mount your levers so the pencil marks are even with the leg side of the levers. If you want a little clearance for your leg, widen it about 1/4 inch. I prefer mine close to my leg. If you have to move the levers closer, or farther, you can adjust that on the lever itself. Just make sure you feel comfortable. Ronnie

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 6:57 am    

Gary truth be known, Sho Bud and other builders placed them in a " sort of regular" location. I have found, especially on the BIG Sho Buds, the left knees are too far left.

I'm thinking there are no rules, sit down behind your Steel, place your left foot over the AB peds, rock your ankle LEFT, place your LKL right there against your leg. .Rock your ankle RIGHT, thats where your LKR goes. Configure your Steel to YOU, seeing that you can !

When I played Carters, I loved the placement of levers, being a slightly shorter Steel the KL's were placed perfectly for me ! I used to call it my PRIVATE SPACE.

Like Ronnie B says...hes got the right idea ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Garry Moore

USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 7:27 am    

That's a good picture Skip. I think I bookmarked another picture of yours to use as a guide. The existing RKL on my guitar is a bit too far to the right for me. I don't think there's enough room to even add a future RKR when I get to it.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 7:38 am    

Here’s another picture... I too am not anywhere near my guitar to get you a precise measurement...

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 8:48 am    

Yes the LKL mount generally lines up with the 3rd pedal cross-shaft(or rack)...and the LKR is between 5 to 6 inches away...meaning if the knees are straight up...it usually measures 5 inches....but you can angle the LKL in some with the adjustable link rod.... so setting them 6 inches apart is easy to adjust.
Ricky

Garry Moore

USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 9:55 am    

Thanks Ricky. That's good to know and very helpful. I've been eyeballin' about where to place these by looking at others on here. But want to check out as many as I can before I go for it.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 12:12 pm    

Well you can check out my "House of Wood" and see the hundreds that I have restored and many of them have underneath shots....>

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/107831259127083539095?source=pwa

Ricky

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 3:06 pm    

As a general rule of thumb, the inside face LKL should roughly align with the roller nut. The inside face of LKR is ~6" - 6-1/2" to the right from there.

Best to determine placement from the top of the guitar, relative to the the fretboard and the pedals. This is what actually matters.

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 6:45 pm     '73 6139 3x4 Photos

Garry,

I restored a '73 6139 a few years ago and happened to take a few photos of the under carriage for reference, in case I had a similar project down the road. I installed new knee levers that I purchased from the late James Morehead.

Hope these will be of help to you.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Garry Moore

USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 4:40 am    

These look great Lynn. I'm glad to see its possible to keep the pots and switch on the deck with the additional levers. I appreciate everyone taking time to post pictures and chime in on this thread.