The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel break on Waylon's "I'll go back to her"
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2018 1:19 pm    

Has anyone ever tabbed out this break?

I've always thought it was most beautiful but can't quite find it on my fretboard.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I thank you.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2018 4:49 pm    

Ralph Mooney

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2018 11:54 am    

Mooney's E9 tuning is different than standard so If you play the same chords it will not sound the same.

Paul Norman

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2018 12:04 pm    

Mooney/s tuning

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2018 1:06 pm    

Nothing special there, tuning-wise. The break on that song is all standard E9th moves. The notes and chords are easy, but it's Moon's touch and expression that's the real challenge to getting it to sound right.

Good luck with that.

Paul Norman

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2018 4:08 pm    

Why do you say there is nothing special when it is completely different than the E9 tuning I use.
F#E flat G# E B G# F# E D B

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2018 5:03 pm    

Paul Norman wrote:
Why do you say there is nothing special when it is completely different than the E9 tuning I use.
F#E flat G# E B G# F# E D B

Paul, because it's not completely different than your tuning. Strings 3 through 9 on your tuning are identical to strings 1 through 7 on Mooney's tuning. As long as what he's playing doesn't use his strings 8,9,& 10, (and I'm not hearing that on this song, or on most of the stuff he did), you have all those same notes available on your guitar. Winking

The uniqueness of Moon's playing is not in his tuning. Rather, it's in five areas - his voicings (note choices), his timing, his dynamics, his picking style, and his volume pedal work. You can only get the first of those things from tablature, and that's why so many players get frustrated trying to sound like he did. Even if you have great chops, you still have to get into his head and think like he did to play like that. Cool

Paul Norman

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2018 6:21 pm    

I will work on that. It is a nice song. Has some good sounds.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 8:20 am    

I'll Go Back To Her- Waylon Jennings
https://youtu.be/LYpgs3fZBK8

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 9:47 pm    

To cop the Moon, you have to live with everything he did with Waylon but also especially with Wynn Stewart and internalize it till you can play back his licks and solos in your mind like a tape recorder. That's step one. Then you gotta sit down and dig it out for yourself in great detail. Especially the fine points of his timing and vibrato. He had a lot of blues and Cajun in his E9 playing and a uninhibited sassy attack that you don't hear much from anyone else outside of Bakersfield. Also he had a bright tone that comes from his days on a Fender 400 but he seemed to get pretty much the same vibe from any steel he ever played. I hear more than a little Mooney in Sneaky Pete Kleinow's B6 playing and Fender tone which proves it's not about your tuning, but what you can find in the tuning you DO have. Sneaky really took that shit to the bank like on this record: https://youtu.be/CG1nnkq4QbQ
Moon got a lot of mileage out of the dom7 position you get with the B pedal and the Eb lever engaged. Most guys use that as a V chord in a typical country tune but he would often use it for the root chord position in a more bluesy mode. I dissected a bunch of his solos and found he played largely out of simple yet under-exploited little sideways pocket positions on E9 with mostly 2 pedals and 1 knee lever. Anyone with the desire who's halfway adept on E9 could sit down and sort it out themselves. Jeff Newman had the bug and could really go there. It's a great style to have in your back pocket. This is a good place to start: https://youtu.be/iQ_zHcisoEY

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 11:00 am     moons E9

I'm not getting it, which neck uses 7 pedals. Standard C6 is 4-8 on a D-10. Not sure what I'm looking at there.

Paul Norman

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 11:28 am    

I think Mooney's e9 neck is on the back where C6 is normally. I don't know about his pedals.

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 4:57 am     moons E9

Hi Paul thanks for that. I would explain the pedals all but 1-3(abc). I curious now if Mr. Mooney ever played C6. Please chime in folks...