The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Popularity of SD to Single
Neal Vosberg

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 4:17 pm    

For years I've stuck to single neck steels, assuming that an SD was reserved for lazy old guys (soon to be one) to rest their arms. Not until I was fortunate enough to meet with an up and coming steel player named Dan Dugmore, that I was shown that the knee levers are set closer to you on an SD. I still prefer a single but in retrospect comparing it to an SD it does feel like you're sidling up to a pretty narrow workspace for your legs. You think single body steels are in the minority, for new production steels?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 5:17 pm    

I think they might be in the minority. But there is probably a good solid customer base for single necks. There have been some builders that don't even offer a single.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 2:36 am    

The "theory" used to be that a single on double body, e.g. a Sho-Bud LDG, had better sound because of the extra wood. That theory was often quoted in the early 70's when I was in Nashville (and may still be today).

My wife has an S-10 GFI and I have to work at it to play it, not because it pedals hard, but just because its a single neck. It would be much better if it were an SD-10.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 3:46 am    

Quote:
I was shown that the knee levers are set closer to you on an SD. I still prefer a single but in retrospect comparing it to an SD it does feel like you're sidling up to a pretty narrow workspace for your legs. You think single body steels are in the minority, for new production steels?

I don't think it's so much the knee levers being closer as it is the pedals and pedal rods being a little farther away. After all, when you play the inside neck on a D10, the levers are located in exactly the same relative place as they would be on a single neck! But in comparison, the pedals are shifted forward, away from you a little. Winking

Either one works for me. Cool

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 8:09 am     S10 vs SD10

I have a S-10 Sierra, but I've had an SD-10 Sierra. I like them both. I added my self a pad top, to the back of my Sierra to give me that effect. I've done this to two guitars & I see that someone makes these pads. Good for them...

If I were going to buy another guitar, It would be a SD-10, maybe even an SD-12. The downside to any SD guitar is the weight, but remember this, The Piano Player & the Bass Fiddle Player have the worst of this malady...

But, I'm old now, so I just enjoy what I have...

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 8:15 am    

I play both and don't prefer one over the other I have an ad 10 set up in church and a s10 I use when I play out the s 10 is easier to carry because of its liter weight have 4 and 5 on both I don't like to rest ,my arms on the pad I guess that's one advantage of the s 10 over the sd10 don't have to worry about a habit to get into my guitars are Mullen royal expression and discovery I love them to death

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 8:40 am    

Charley,
I think I recognize my tab. Very Happy
Erv

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 8:51 am     Irv's Tab...

Ya Sure Youbetcha... a plug for ERV

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 10:33 am    

Charley,
Bless your heart! Very Happy
Erv