The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 400 hum...
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 7:49 pm    

I have an early 80's Nashville 400 that has a hum that can be quieted by rotating the bass knob all the way to the left and rotating the Post Gain knob all the way left as well. If I remove the cord coming from my guitar the hum is gone as well. I recently purchased this amp from a Forum member and it arrived in good shape. The previous owner states the amp had the Peavey mod added at some point also. Could there be some internal damage from the amp being bumped or dropped during shipping? I do have a Korg rack tuner on top of the amp that is plugged into the same wall outlet as the amp....could it be a grounding issue?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 2:01 am    

Power on the amp with nothing plugged into it and the tuner not sitting on the amp. If there is no hum, then most likely something else causing it.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 3:04 am     Re: Nashville 400 hum...

Mike Kowalik wrote:
If I remove the cord coming from my guitar the hum is gone as well.
This indicates the hum is induced into the steel-PU, effect units (if you have any), the Korg tuner, and/or cable(s). I would start troubleshooting at this end, by moving steel around a little to see if the degree of hum changes. Same thing with the Korg tuner as both it and the PU may pick up hum from the amp's transformer or other sources in the environment.

The amp itself is probably OK and hum-free since it doesn't hum with nothing connected to its input.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 6:30 am     Re: Nashville 400 hum...

Mike Kowalik wrote:
I do have a Korg rack tuner on top of the amp that is plugged into the same wall outlet as the amp....could it be a grounding issue?

Does the amp have the same problem without the rack tuner being plugged in?

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 10:51 am    

Now this morning I have a distorted sound out of the amp....I bought it without a speaker and put a SICA 300 watt speaker in it .....maybe that's the problem...