The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Double-T 12 Speaker
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 6:47 am    

I'm hoping someone can lend a bit of assistance.
I just received my Travis Toy speaker and noticed that the connectors on the speaker are not compatible with the ones on my Seismic cab.
Is there an other connector I need or is it simply a matter of cutting off the cabinet connectors , splicing the wires and looping them through the speaker connectors?
Also, I see what appears to be a connection for a ground wire on the frame of the speaker. Do I also need to ground it?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited by Bob Grado on 21 Nov 2015 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 6:49 am    

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 4:10 pm    

I believe l may have found my answer?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 5:12 pm    

Just strip the wires and stick them in the holes. No connector or soldering is necessary.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 6:45 pm    

And the connectors are spring-loaded. Just press to open, insert bare wire, and release.

Didi Waechtler

Gelnhausen, Hessen, Germany
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 10:22 am     Question for Travis Toy: Double T for music man 112 RD50 ?

Hi Travis,
I bought a old musicman amp 112 RD fifty.
Right now there's an Eminence lil Texas in it.
Would be the Double T Speaker the right speaker for my musicman or should I order a EPS 12C ?
Thanks for your Support

Dietmar Waechtler
www.dietmar-waechtler.de

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 6:54 pm    

John, I'm so glad you like the speaker. It is quite satisfying to read all of the comments and messages coming my way. I really do think it's the best steel speaker on the market by a long shot.

-t

John Macy wrote:
I put mine in a Telonics cab and love it. Just used it shooting 13 episodes of a new show coming out on RFD next year and several gigs and sessions over the last three weeks and I will be replacing all the 12's in my various rigs with this...I put it through a few C6 tunes and it didn't flinch. Love the detail in the mids and the top end is sweet, and low end for days...way to go, Travis!

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 6:56 pm    

Bob, I would likely just ditch the connectors, strip the ends, and wire it up. The spring loaded terminals hold very securely. Hope you love the speaker. Cheers!

-t

Bob Grado wrote:

I believe l may have found my answer?

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 6:59 pm     Re: Question for Travis Toy: Double T for music man 112 RD50

Didi, I would say that if you're planning to play steel through the amp, then the Double T is a considerably better sounding speaker than the EPS. Thanks, and best wishes!

-t

Didi Waechtler wrote:
Hi Travis,
I bought a old musicman amp 112 RD fifty.
Right now there's an Eminence lil Texas in it.
Would be the Double T Speaker the right speaker for my musicman or should I order a EPS 12C ?
Thanks for your Support

Dietmar Waechtler
www.dietmar-waechtler.de

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 7:02 pm    

James, you're not gonna have any issues with low end using this speaker. It is very punchy, tight, and full sounding. Quite the opposite of typical NEO speakers. Hope you'll give it a go. Cheers!

-t

James Quackenbush wrote:
Thanks for the report John .....Sounds like it will work well with my U-12.....Is the low end on C6 nice and punchy ? .....This is what i am looking for when playing my U-12

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 10:54 am    

Hi Travis ,
Thanks for the reply ....and commenting on the typical low end on a lot of Neo's ....This is what I am trying to avoid , especially going to a 12 from a 15 ..... The added punch and clarity of a 12 inch speaker is nice if the bottom end can hold up when playing a U-12 thru it .....Thanks again ....Jim

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 11:51 am    

James Quackenbush wrote:
Hi Travis ,
Thanks for the reply ....and commenting on the typical low end on a lot of Neo's ....This is what I am trying to avoid , especially going to a 12 from a 15 ..... The added punch and clarity of a 12 inch speaker is nice if the bottom end can hold up when playing a U-12 thru it .....Thanks again ....Jim

It can handle anything you can throw at it. Winking

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 12:15 pm    

I hope so ..... I will be running in Stereo with a Sarno Octal Revelation into a VHT 2-90-2 power amp pushing 90 tube watts RMS per channel !! Whoa!

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 12:44 pm    

James Quackenbush wrote:
I hope so ..... I will be running in Stereo with a Sarno Octal Revelation into a VHT 2-90-2 power amp pushing 90 tube watts RMS per channel !! Whoa!

It's rated and fully real world tested at 300 watts.

Scott Lutz

San Antonio,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2015 9:34 am     76 Fender Pro

Travis,
I'm curious how it might work to run two TT-12s in my 70W Fender Pro?

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2015 12:35 pm     Re: 76 Fender Pro

Scott Lutz wrote:
Travis,
I'm curious how it might work to run two TT-12s in my 70W Fender Pro?

It would be twice as good!!!

Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 6:00 pm     Tt12

I saw in an earlier post this speaker was meant to be a replacement for and similar to the old Black Widows. Did that turn out to be the case? Any more updates on this speaker?
Thanks,

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 7:33 pm     Re: Tt12

Steve Rosko wrote:
I saw in an earlier post this speaker was meant to be a replacement for and similar to the old Black Widows. Did that turn out to be the case? Any more updates on this speaker?
Thanks,

Hey Steve. This speaker was never intended to be a replacement for, or similar to old Black Widows. Myself and quite a few of my peers in Nashville and elsewhere, have used BW 1201-8 speakers for years. This speaker started with the desire of making something in a NEO that was comparable to that speaker. I honestly doubted whether that would even be possible, as I have never even remotely cared for NEO speakers. They have historically been, in my opinion, very anemic sounding when compared to traditional magnet designs.

Fast forward about 5 months and a LOT of prototypes, and we wound up with what I believe to be the best sounding speaker I've ever played. Because of where the creation process took us, and due to my involvement down to the last detail, it wound up being a signature speaker for me. That's not what I intended to happen at all, but I'm very glad it did. I couldn't be prouder of the product, and it really wound up being even better than the 1201-8.

The best brief description I could give of it would be...if you're familiar with the 1201-8, it's quite a lot like that speaker, but with a more detailed low end. I blind tested several players (several of them who are heroes of most of us here) who have used 1201's for years, and they all picked my speaker as the better sounding option.

I don't know what else I can add to that. If you're looking for a modern, punchy sound, I'll argue that you can do no better than this speaker. I hope that if you're in the market for something new, you'll give it a shot. Cheers!

-t

Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 4:53 am    

Just ordered one... put it in rush shipping so I can try this week. I picked yours over the PF-350. Can you tell me the difference. I’m using it as an extension cab for my evans re200... can you explain the difference between yours and Paul’s?

Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 5:05 am    

Just ordered one... put it in rush shipping so I can try this week. I picked yours over the of-350. Can you tell me the difference. I’m using it as an extension cab for my evans re200... can you explain the difference between yours and Paul’s?

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 7:50 am    

Scott Henderson wrote:
Just ordered one... put it in rush shipping so I can try this week. I picked yours over the of-350. Can you tell me the difference. I’m using it as an extension cab for my evans re200... can you explain the difference between yours and Paul’s?

Hey Scott. As an interesting point of reference, Paul and I have both used the same speakers for years (Peavey 1201-8), so our starting point was exactly the same. There is a VERY slight difference at around 500k. Mine has a small dip there, which was by design. I feel it unclutters the low mid response in that frequency range a little bit. Other than that, I'd argue that 9 out of 10 people probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart in a blind test.

The most drastic difference is weight. My speaker is 7.1 pounds, and Paul's is 21.5 pounds. Pretty remarkable difference there, and way easier on the back.

Hope you love it. Cheers!

-t

Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 9:42 am    

Yea the mid structure was my reason for pulling the trigger on yours. (less weight is a bonus) I love my RE200 but an extension speaker has always buttered up the mids so I think I made the right choice. Let you know Saturday. ( I play Friday night...lol)

Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 6:03 am    

I can honestly say in 40 years of playing that my tone is the most distinct in all tonal frequencies with this speaker. Still tweeking the mids to my liking but very impressed. I go for a really soft mid tone.. I like how I have all the lows I want (and then some!) but the highs are not muddy or shrill. Very detailed. $200 on this saved me a bundle. I was about ready to blow a wad on little Walter but don’t feel I have to now. Thanks Travis....