The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Richie Furay-Deliverin' Live-Scott Sellen on Steel
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 11:05 am    

Last week I had the honor of loaning out my S-10 Sho-bud formerly owner by Dan Dugmore to Scott Sellen who is Guitarist for the Richie Furay Band who played 3 shows in NJ-NY area doing the complete Deliverin' album by POCO from 1969.

I offered Scott my steel so they didn't have to drag his here all the way from Colorado. The show at SOPAC (South Orange Performing Arts Center) was sold out and was recorded for a future live CD release. Was such a great show and they will be doing some more shows in the near future.

Scott plays guitar, steel, Dobro on the show but also plays banjo and Mandolin. Such a good guy. pic below is of him and Richie at sound check

A big thanks to John Ciano for his help in setup and tuning!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2018 3:28 pm    

Looks like Scott is a socks-only pedaler. Badge of honor to you for lending your axe.

I am a Poconut, and the Richie-era is still my favorite. I just listened to my whole collection, 1969-1982, the day before yesterday while painting my house. Weird that you posted this today. I will look forward to the album.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2018 3:11 pm    

Thanks Fred, Yes it was a really fun experience and am totally honored to be a really small part of the show, but I could see that the audience was really psyched to have the steel part of the show and too many times it is omitted and I give Scott kudos for making it happen.

Richie got standing ovations for every song and the crowd was so appreciative of him doing the whole album live. Everything old is new again!!

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 6:00 am    

I’m wondering if the steel player used a Leslie like Rusty did on the original record. Even if he didn’t I’d love to see the show.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 8:05 am    

tom anderson wrote:
I’m wondering if the steel player used a Leslie like Rusty did on the original record. Even if he didn’t I’d love to see the show.

And the wah wah...So many things about Poco set them apart from other bands - I was wondering if all the harmony and background vocals were part of the show.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 3:47 am    

Scott played straight through a fever amp, no effects, lots of the Leslie stuff is done by the organ player. Harmonies were good, very talented group of players, and it was their first time playing it together.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 11:28 am    

The band touring as Poco, with Rusty Young, played here in the Valley last Saturday & Sunday. They played in the auditorium at Adams State College instead of the outdoor stage at Fir, which was an early casualty of the Spring Fire. In addition to its beautiful little concert venue high in the Sangre de Cristo range, the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad also lost a mainline trestle in the inferno.