The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Can't Give You Anything But Love"
Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 2:53 pm    

Giving my National steel a bash with this old standard at the South of England Steel Guitar Festival in June 2018.

It's a shame that people who take camera clips don't take the whole song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHIhTz7RzTY

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 3:06 pm    

Loved it!

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 4:44 pm    

Very nice Mick! Awesome playing and your tone is magnificent .

Last edited by Joe Cook on 5 Jul 2018 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 7:50 pm    

Nice! I love the big, rich tone and the delay. Are you playing through that Gibson amp behind you?

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 9:18 pm    

Not the Gibson Doug. I was going through a Roland Cube 80. Also the amp was miked through the PA so not sure how much this added although it is close to what I normally get.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 1:35 pm    

Great tone from that National. I'm glad you posted that. First time I've heard anyone play a Nd8 console out. I have one for sale on craigslist but been on the fence about selling it. Think I might keep it now. What's your tuning?

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 11:00 pm    

I had never seen a National in the flesh until I got mine - I just loved the look of the thing. My ear was tuned to the sound of a pedal steel so was a bit disappointed when I first got it. Pickups were weak in comparison at only 3K and sounded different. I just played around making minor adjustments to the tone controls on the amp and adjusting my picking. Now I would not part with it. It's getting used to the sound. Its amazing how everyone remarks on the tone of this. I have two of the same model now and both are the same.

The only thing I would say is that on both guitars the pickups are microphonic. I don't suppose it helps that the coil just lays in place - not screwed down and the bridge is part of the pickup housing - BUT - I am reluctant to change as I don't know how much of my sound comes from this fault.

As for tuning - I use a bog standard C6 with a high G which is the one used on this song. The front neck is E13 with an F#.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 9:02 am    

I think mine's a little microphonic too now that you mention it.
Was yours stock with legs or added after? I think most were table top like mine and if I keep I'll want to add the legs.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 9:37 am    

Mine is stock. I have a 1952 with no legs and both necks are at the same level. I then purchased a beaten up 1957 which I had to strip down to the wood and respray and generally work on it. That came with legs and necks are at different levels.

I was tempted to put legs on the 52 but as there is very little marking I did not want to devalue it.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 10:24 am    

I bought my '47 for $300 and the sections were unglued and coming apart and one pickup broken. Did a complete strip down and restoration. Lollar repaired pickup and supplied me with his own upgraded magnets which he has for Nat D8's, for both pickups. Stronger gauss than the originals. Don't know what it sounded like before as it was unplayable but it sounds rich and full now.
I don't think devaluation's an issue at this point however I'm hoping the original correct leg mounts with square flange will turn up.