The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need replacement tuners for a 1940 Gibson EH-185 lap steel
Robert Sands

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 3:55 am    

I just bought a 1940 Gibson EH-185 lap steel in wonderful condition except for the tuners. Does anyone know a period correct tuner that will line up correctly for this instrument? Just to review, it's a slotted headstock with individual tuners, knobs pointing upward. Nickel knobs. Originals are Kluson. Would like to find tuners that stay with the look of these originals. I Googled replacement tuners but not certain which will fit. Has anyone replaced their tuners successfully and can provide a link to what to order? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Robert Sands on 6 Jul 2018 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 4:22 am    

Perhaps something in StewMac's line of replacement tuners would work:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Slotted_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/

Robert Sands

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 4:36 am    

Thanks Jack. Been looking on StewMac and just can't figure out which will fit. I need some fine measuring device to see if the holes line up. Hoping someone has gone down this road and found tuners that fit without redrilling or reaming.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 5:50 am    

I was in exactly this situation - I had a 1941 EH-185 with '60s or later Kluson Deluxes that worked OK but looked out of place. I eventually got a set of these Golden Age Kluson replicas because they have the same baseplate and screw hole spacing as the originals. However, they're not intended for slotted headstocks, so I had to get someone to drill string holes farther up the shaft. In the end, they worked just fine. They don't have metal buttons like the originals, but they don't scream later replacement like the Deluxes did.

Robert Sands

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 6:22 am    

Noah,
That info helps me because when checking out the tuners you used I now have measurements that will fit the EH 185. So in a perfect world finding slotted headstock tuners with those Golden Age Kluson Replica measurements should do it.
Robert

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 6:52 am    

Yup, to the best of my knowledge, all Kluson tuners not on a strip have the same spacings. However, I looked everywhere and couldn't find anyone still making non-covered ones. Unless you can find some vintage ones that are still usable, I believe your only options are to drill new holes in the shafts or use covered gears.

Robert Sands

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 7:35 am    

Noah,
I think I should probably just go with the covered tuners while keep looking for open back ones. I'm searching but can't seem to find Kluson individual covered tuners for slotted headstock. Would you happen to have a link to a page showing them?
Thanks so much,
Robert

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 8:02 am    

Hmmm... they were out there a few years ago, but now I can't find them either.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 8:42 am    

If you'll be satisfied with the look of modern Klusons, check out the Gotoh replicas. Great tuners. Far superior to the new Klusons in my opinion.

Robert Sands

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 9:18 am    

Jack,
I would have no problem with using Gotoh replicas. I see they have some with the correct vintage look. Looking now but can't find slotted headstock versions though. I'll keep searching.
Robert