The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich Omni Pedal
Larry Sasser

Conyers,Ga. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2018 1:10 pm    

I worked on the Nashville Now TV show for 11 years. People ask me all the time "How do you get the great tone night after night ?" I always told everyone the same thing "I work very hard at it, good tone is very important to me".

I have just received a new Goodrich OMNI pedal and I felt I should share my feelings about this pedal. I have ALWAYS been very interested in ANYTHING that could make my sound better. I have always been a player that if my tone is not right it makes playing less fun. I always felt like without good tone, I had nothing.

I like many others have been fighting the volume pedal wars for years. Jay Dee Maness and I have been working for a long time trying to find a pedal that would give us the sound we both love. I feel like for myself, I have found it. Jay Dee and I ran Jim Palenscar and Kevin Ryan crazy when they started working on the sound factor of the volume pedals and pots with Goodrich. I was hearing things over and over but they didn't sound like I wanted them to.

I think with the OMNI Pedal they have done it. When I plugged into it I said "That's It" "That's What I've Been Looking For". It sounded right, from the start. It's got what I've been looking for, TONE !!!!! I am SO HAPPY!!! I'm tired of fighting the volume pot and pedal wars over and over.

I want everyone to know, THEY ARE NOT PAYING ME TO SAY THIS IN ANYY WAY ! I am wanting everyone to know how I feel about this pedal because I KNOW there are a lot of you going through the same thing.

[/b]

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 6:58 am    

Thanks for the kind words Larry. Testimony like yours make the journey more worthwhile and we appreciate it.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 4:00 pm     Omni Pedal

Is it different from the L10K pedal? For a layman, can you explain the difference.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 6:08 pm    

What Jim Saunders said... I understand the concept of the pedal, but didn't know it made that much difference in tone.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 8:23 am    

Both the H10k and the L10k are active pedals- always. The electronics in the active pedal are designed to give a cleaner sound and negate the "tone sucking" effects that are caused by the signal going through traditional pots and cables- think of it like a small amplifier. As with all amplifiers- the output can be designed to tailor the needs of the user's tone and volume. Depending on your rig the result can be very subtle to not-so-subtle. The active circuit in the OMNI is an updated version of what was in the original H10k, L10k, and 7A. An engineer from Alesis assisted us in this endeavor and tailored the output to what we (mostly Kevin) were wanting to hear using newer and faster chips, etc. in the design. Getting back to the original question, the OMNI was designed to have a broader audience by allowing the user to be able to defeat the electronic aspect of the pedal by the push of a button allowing for different clarity and different tone curve. In addition the OMNI allows for signal routing from either side or through the pedal in either direction depending on the needs/wants of the user and we have designed a pedal board mounting kit for those players wanting that feature.. Further changes include a 9v in and we include a power supply(positive tip) and adapter for a One Spot (negative tip) power supply. We also incorporate an adjustable heel stop for the occasional player that wants both rhythm/lead volumes and wants the signal at rhythm volume at the back end and then step on the pedal for leads. Also we built in a tuner out that is discrete and will not color nor distort the output. The supplied 9v battery lasts for greater than 1,000 hours and when falling below a certain voltage the output signal begins to distort. In the past when that happened the player had to stop what they were doing and change the battery out(if they happened to have a screwdriver and a 9v battery with them). Now just push a button or and you have the passive pedal in full operation or plug it in and you're back in business. I am always happy to answer questions about this stuff.

Michael Weaver

Buffalo Grove, IL
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 2:43 am    

Does Goodrich still make a photocell volume pedal?

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 6:46 am    

No we do not- that product and the ability to reproduce it ceased with the passing for Phil Goodrich years ago.

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 1:47 pm    

I don't think I ever complained about the price of a product. People can charge whatever they want for their stuff, I don't care. But almost 500 bucks for a volume pedal, wow. I'm sure it has it's audience and it will be a fantastic product, but... even with all of it's features - it's still just a volume pedal. Anyway, I wish you a great success. Happy and loyal Goodrich user here from day 1, BTW.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 3:39 pm    

Almost $500 is the list price.

I am one of your Authorized Goodrich dealers and will be happy to assist you with any Goodrich product at substantial savings.

Just drop me an EMAIL or give me a call.

Bferguson1947@gmail.com
770 921 7253

BTW. Sasser called me as soon as he received his OMNI pedal, raving about the tone and quality.

I'm here to help my fellow Steelers
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 8:19 am    

I have one on its way.
I'm anxious to try it. Very Happy
Erv

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 1:10 am    

What kind of pedal bar attachment are available for this OMNI , the ones I have don’t fit it.
Thanks in advance

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 5:41 am    

I put my old Goodrich bracket on mine. Very Happy
Erv

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 7:33 am    

I did the same - relocated the screw slots and cut off about 1 1/2" of the metal on the bottom side so that my foot could be closer to the pedal bar and it also avoided the string pedestal that sticks thru the bottom of the pedal.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 8:06 am    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
I did the same - relocated the screw slots and cut off about 1 1/2" of the metal on the bottom side so that my foot could be closer to the pedal bar and it also avoided the string pedestal that sticks thru the bottom of the pedal.

Meh...personally I’ve never liked the over the top brackets.
I like the Mullen type so far the best
Small design oversite with the new Omni pedal and the string mechanism that sticks out
The bottom...seems like it could be better.
Got any plans to manufacture a Omni specific pedal bar holder?
Like I say “I” prefer the Mullen type bracket holder

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 8:21 am    

No specific plans as of yet George to alter the OMNI. I was initially against putting a hole in the bottom and we experimented with making a smaller diameter pot collar in order to avoid having the string pedestal stick through the bottom plate however it was just too fast at that point and faced with a hole vs changing too fast we opted for the former option. Regarding the pedal bar attaching bracket we'll probably get to that down the line.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 7:44 am    

I have no problem utilizing the old Goodrich bracket. Very Happy
Erv

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 9:40 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I have no problem utilizing the old Goodrich bracket. Very Happy
Erv

Geez Erv “utilize” is the word
I like the Emmons type pin bracket , also.
They don’t fit
I’m just using the Omni as a spare I keep in the car
Not that critical
Enough from me

Gary Kaye

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2020 6:55 pm     Omni Volume Pedal

Does anyone know if the current Omni uses a Claristat or custom Dunlop pot?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2020 6:20 am    

I talked to Kevin at Goodrich on Friday.
He is currently using the Clarostat pot.

I have a sale going on right now.

Drop me an email for a quote.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2020 9:00 am    

Does it come in a low profile option?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2020 9:49 am    

Yes

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2020 9:55 am    

https://goodrichsoundcompany.com/volume-pedals/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 4:02 am    

I like the over the top bracket