The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Concerning Windows Defender and Avast
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 1:09 pm    

My new used Sony is up to date on its defense, including Malwarebytes; just having hooked it up, the Avast logo appeared on the desktop.
Is it true that anti-virus software don't like anyone else in their domain? Avast says it's all running fine, so does Defender....

I suppose my question is, could the Avast be part of the Windows package, or an unwanted gift if I opened it? It looks authentic.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 2:44 pm    

Malwarebytes Premium (with realtime protection) gets along with Windows Defender. It may not get along with Avast. You might have to turn off MB's realtime protections as long as Avast is installed.

Avast is not part of Windows at all. It may be part of a Sony software package. Or, it may have snuck in with an update to a program like CCleaner, which always bundles something with the free version.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 6:56 pm    

I believe I had just uploaded CCleaner when I noticed a desktop icon for Avast. Thank you, Wiz.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 8:23 pm    

I've managed to avoid Avast with CCleaner free edition. Not sure that I've ever even had it offered to me, but you have to always be on the lookout for what they might try to sneak by you.

CCleaner also has a portable version that I've used at times. Right now, I think I'm using the installable version.

In my experience, Malwarebytes rarely conflicts with anti-virus applications as they have different types of targets.

But yeah, generally 2 anti-virus applications may well conflict and is something you might want to avoid.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 8:59 pm    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
I believe I had just uploaded CCleaner when I noticed a desktop icon for Avast. Thank you, Wiz.

I updated Piriform CCleaner last week and it came with a prechecked checkbox to install Avast, which also had its own license agreement. Other times, CCleaner contains a setup file for Google Chrome.

In case anybody is wondering why CCleaner chose to bundle Avast Anti-virus, perhaps this Piriform blog article from last summer will make things clearer.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017
Piriform is joining Avast

We are excited to announce that as of today, we have signed an agreement with Avast to join their business. Avast is the global leader in digital security products, focused on providing their customers with products that make their lives more convenient.

Also, read this official statement from Avast about the acquisition of CCleaner.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 2:45 am    

I've got CCleaner that works as I leave the web (free trial) so I'll probably delete Avast. Windows Defender seems to work fine.