The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need a Preamp
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 12:12 pm    

I recently built a powered cabinet using a cheap 150 watt class 'd' power amp from Ebay and have been using it as a mini PA with a 6 channel Yamaha board and it works fine. However, I've been thinking of turning it into a simple guitar rig using some kind of preamp pedal and my HOF Mini reverb in front of the cabinet. What kind of preamps are out there that give a clean signal straight into a power amp? Would prefer under $100. Would one of those POD things work for this - I believe some of them have reverb too? Anything that would send a CLEAN line level signal would probably work - I'm just not up on what's out there.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 8:15 pm    

pod would be just fine. you might find a pod xt for $50 or so. many effects and plenty of programs from tommy dodd for use with steels.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 9:30 pm     Empress Para- EQ

This might be more $$ than you're looking at, but I use one of these in front of a Quilter Tone Block & love it.
https://empresseffects.com/products/paraeq

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 8:05 am     Re: Need a Preamp

Skip Ellis wrote:
Would one of those POD things work for this -

The original first issue Pod 2.0 is the more analog sounding version over the later models.

Depending on how you start your Pod 2.0 will detetmine whether the Pod is conectected to a flat power amp with open or closed back 4x12 cabs, a combo openback cab or the front of a combo amp. It will save your settings.

By holding down the }save{ button while turning on the Pod, it will cycle through A,B,C,D which are the different connection modes turning your Pod into a dedicated preamp.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 5:10 pm     Pod

I've used a POD 2.0 for years. live 6 nights a week, recording, any and all situations. My deal is that I ONLY use it on manual setting, with tube pre-amp, and with compression. Sounds great to me and MANY folks who ask me how I get "that" tone. I set the knobs around to my ear. Usually find them on eBay from kids wanting to move to other stuff, and sell them $50 to $100. Just gotta make sure they look good and don't look ragged. 2.0 is the only one I'll use. I have a backup as one did bite the bullet on me after about 7 years of
6 nights a week.
Good luck on your search.
Pat

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 6:04 pm     Re: Pod

Pat Moore wrote:
My deal is that I ONLY use it on manual setting, with tube pre-amp, and with compression.

I agree with Pat. Manual mode there's so much to work with and it's all laid out in plain sight.

I've had the 2.0 going on 18 years in the studio. Have dozens of other pedals too but the Pod is easy to navigate in a pinch and for recording gets a tone real fast from manual mode.Tap tempo echo features as well.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 6:38 pm    

Exactly Godfrey! You hit the nail on the head for sure! Easy to pack up and travel with as well!
All the best, Pat