The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker Cabinets
Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 3:09 pm    

I tried doing a forum search on speaker cabinets but didn't find much. I am curious what some good cabinets for a 12 " speaker are.

At the Moment I am borrowing a friends Avatar cab that was designed for steel. It is a little heavy but sounds fantastic. I don't believe the guy who builds Avatar cabs is making that model any longer otherwise I would consider buying one of his. I know there is Telonics, Tommy Huff and others out there building them.

Are there any good cabinets readily available and easy to get? Any recommendations would be appreciated. I am new to the world of speaker cabs.

Thanks,

Leo

Dennis Brown

Gowen, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 2:22 am     cabs.

Leo, I've had a pair of Tommy's open back cabs and they're fantastic. lite, compact, great looking and sounded great. And, Tommy is one of the good guys. I made a big mistake in selling them. Hope your doing well.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 5:39 am    

I have a Tommy Huff cabinet and it is well built and light and also sounds good, I put a TT 15" speaker in it, he also makes cabinets for 12" speakers. He has very fair pricing as well, give him a call. 361-244-3624 TommyHuffBass@yahoo.com

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 7:22 am    

Does Fred Justice still make cabinets?
Erv

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 3:31 pm    

I think pine cabs sound the best and they are usually pretty lightweight.
Rick Johnson makes really nice cabs.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 4:21 am    

Leo, what did you end up going with for a speaker cabinet ?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 4:54 am    

I have an Eminence TT-12 in basically an empty Nashville 112 cabinet. I built the cabinet the same size as a Nashville 112, using 1X12" (good grade) pine for the cabinet and 1/2" plywood for the speaker mounting. The back is partially closed 3" strip at top and 2" strip at bottom.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2018 7:17 pm    

Rick Johnson has made me several 12" lightweight pine cabs. Incredible work and they sound great.

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2018 7:55 pm    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=327577&highlight=

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 11:22 am    

I have both a large and mini 12” cabinets from Telonics and they are the best sounding I have ever used.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 7:33 am    

Truthfully, I've never bought a speaker cabinet - they're too easy and cheap to build. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get some pine. Saw it up, glue and nail it together (or dovetail/box joint if you're into that stuff), paint it with some truck bed paint or cover with pretty Tolex and play away. Not sure how the volume/size of an open back cabinet affects the tone but I just build to a convenient size and never had a problem yet. I'm still using the same 12" cabinet with SICA that I used when playing with Jack Stoner at the Florida Steel Guitar Club several years back - it was fine then (steel & Tele) and still does the job today. It ain't rocket surgery. Enclosed cabinets, on the other hand are a whole different deal........to much math to suit me and I like the sound of open backs more anyway....fortunately!

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 3:46 am    

I've used Marrs cabinets for a long time and have gotten very positive reception from engineers and interest in, "What kind of speaker cab is that?!" and still have them at the house. But Phil Bradbury just recently built me a brand new pair of his Little Walter Cabs to go with my 89' and they are rocking my world. I feel it's definitely made a difference in my sound for the better. They're built like tanks too. I'm trying a new setup with a 12" and 15" running simultaneously from the 89'. The cool, unique part about this setup is that both cabinets are exactly the same, except for the hole in the baffle and the speaker it holds. Phil's cabs are worth every penny and then some!!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 5:27 am    

I have no doubt the Lil Walter cabs are great and road worthy. However, for the average weekend musician they are out of the price range, just as a Lil Walter amp is too.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 8:00 pm     The Speaker Cabs.

[img]https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix1712/12413_A359D8E6CB6540758233D48B0D422E7E_1.jpg[/. I built all of these and covered them myself. They are not finger jointed or dove tailed, but they are dowel and glued. The Twin Reverb head and the 2-12 JBL cabs are pine, and the single 15” and 12” cabs are plywood. They’re easy to carry and I really enjoy working with my hands. Besides being cheap, it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 7:22 am    

Bill, I think that those Cabinets are Super.

Quote:
...it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

That has got to count for at least as much as functionality. Good Job! Cool

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 7:02 pm    

Thank you sir.

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 9:02 am    

Bill, those look great! I assume the two cabs with JBL D-130s in them are for use North of the Red River....

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 9:46 am     The Good Old Texas Flag.

You can take the boy out of Texas, but you can’t take Texas out of the boy. I always say I moved to Oklahoma to be around Texans......I ran out of Tolex to cover the backs of those cabinets, so I decided Texas flags might look cool, and let folks know where I’m from. After a recone and blowing the same D-130F the second time, I’ve since installed D-140F’s in those cabs and they are great speakers with the original “1968” cones.