The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup Help
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 7:33 am    

I am building a new lap steel. I would like to know what you guys think about a Lollar P 90 pickup? I like a nice mellow sound, would this be a good choice? I have a Lollar string through, but don't want to break the bank this time. Lap steel has an aluminum frame and bottom with a wood top. All opinions and information is welcome.

Thanks in advance......

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 12:56 pm    

I have purchased at least four custom P-90 type pickups from Jerry Sentell for installation in rescue lap steels. I would have stopped after the first one if I didn't like it.

Be aware that Gibson made at least three different 6-string P-90 pickups with varied pole-piece spacing. The P-90s they installed on their lap steels had the pole-pieces spaced at approximately 58mm. The standard guitar spacing was either 50mm or 52mm.

Here's a photo of a rescued EH-125 with its Sentell P-90. Hard to tell in the pic, but its top plate is tortoise pickguard material from Stewart-MacDonald.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 1:20 pm    

Thanks Jack. I can't tell from the picture, does it have adjustable poles?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 1:45 pm    

Bill Groner wrote:
Thanks Jack. I can't tell from the picture, does it have adjustable poles?

Indeed it does. I supplied the tortoise material for that particular pickup. The standard Sentell P-90 has a black plastic top plate. That's what I like about Jerry -- he'll build you whatever you want. Here's another (dusty & dirty) Sentell P-90 in a rescue 1956 Gibson Century Deluxe:

With the notable exception of my Bakelite Ric, this Century Deluxe is arguably the best sounding lap steel in my possession.