The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1961 Valco English Electronics Lapsteel SOLD Please close
John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 9:39 am    

This is a cool old Valco-made English Electronics 6 string lapsteel. It has the optional DeArmond Stringtone changer, and that is the less common "Low A" version with three string pulls. A,E, and C#Minor tunings and you may need to do some tweaking depending on the string gauges used (what's on there now is probably lighter than optimal but just what I had in hand). Works, sounds good, looks good. Originally had legs but those are long gone, and I don't have the case. Was made in 1961 by the serial number tag. I haven't pulled the pots but likely those are original too. The metal "English Electronics" plate has some corrosion but tuners look good with original buttons although one shaft is a bit bent. The MOTS covering looks really good. Asking $325 OBO plus shipping. Paypal is easy but I will take a money order from a listmember if preferred. Shipping will be $30 in the US (Fedex) , and if someone is outside the US contact for a quote. PM is the easiest way to contact and I'll check intermittently, responding in order received. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by John Kally on 1 Jul 2018 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2018 8:59 am     1961 Valco English Electronics

To save me some typing in case anyone else is interested, here is what I sent to a member regarding the Stringtone:
There is an old post in the forum by someone else that covers it better but here is a short version of how this works with the Low A changer here (there is another version of the Stringtone with four pullers, I think). There is a lever with three positions. The 5th, 3rd, and 2nd strings are pulled to change their pitch to fixed positions. So, 6th, 4th, and 1st are always the same (those are all E). In Low A, EAEAC#E. E tuning EBEG#BE, C#minor tuning EBEG#C#E. So you can look at those tunings to figure out what is going on with the tunings. The puller is affected by string gauge and there are small adjustment screws on the pullers. Hope this helps. I had to do some l homework to figure this one out! You can also just use it in any preferred other tuning BUT this will of course change what happens to the pitches when the arm is moved.

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 7:54 am     1961 Valco English Electronics Lapsteel w Stringtone ON HOLD

On Hold for a listmember pending payment.

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 9:31 am     1961 Valco English Electronics Lapsteel SOLD Please close

Sold! Donation on the way. Thanks.