The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Robert J. Scarberry, Meaningful Memorial
Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2018 4:37 am    

This summer, while visiting family & friends in KY, I stopped by to pay my respects at the grave of a dear friend, Robert Scarberry. Robert died in 2013 following a short illness. He was a steel guitar player, Forum Member, veteran, a Mason and Shriner who was responsible for assisting many children in the eastern KY area gain admittance to Shriner's Hospital and a thoughtful neighbor to all. Robert was my steel guitar mentor as well as a close friend. He never married but, instead remained at home, taking care of his parents well into their 90's. He was a school bus driver for over 30 yrs, winning many state as well as national awards for safety. He is buried alongside his parents and grandparents in the family plot very near their family home which has been preserved as a gathering for family reunions and memorials. I wanted to share these pictures of his monument which is very fitting indeed. The inscriptions and picture are beautifully laser engraved into the stone.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2018 7:21 am    

That's a beautiful monument, Jerry!
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2018 11:02 am    

Thank you for your kind reply, Donna. My wife, Tammy, just gave me another picture that I did not know she had taken while I was alone, quietly viewing his monument for the very first time. She had zoomed in, while standing back at least 200 ft or more. It portrays the beauty of the the property which comprises several hundred acres. I had taken the initial photograph of Robert a few years ago while he was playing his guitar. Needless to say, it touched me greatly, seeing it for the first time.

Last edited by Jerry Van Hoose on 12 Apr 2019 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2018 7:51 am    

Green, green grass of home. Very peaceful! I still cannot get over the headstone etching of Mr. Scarberry behind his Derby.
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2018 3:00 pm    

I mistakenly used the word "engraved" when actually the entire monument...inscriptions, symbols & photograph were laser "etched".