The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Indy Steel Guitar Show 6/24/18
David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 8:24 am    

Hey folks.. The big day is approaching!! It’s always a fun time and a super talent line-up!
This year Joe Wright will be entertaining only the way Joe can do...and WOW this guy can play! Plus this year special appearance by Lloyd Wood, one of the best entertainers you will ever see. Also, Dave Jackson and the Million Dollar Garage Band! A smoking collection of A-list musicians that live to play with Bret Raper on fiddle. Bret just won the #1 Western Swing CD in the United States called “Somewhere near Austin.” Also this year Mike Salley, Jerry Fessenden of Fessenden Steel Guitars, The lovely Sharon Denny, Smokey McCoy, and the Amazingly Talented, Handsome, Funny and Exciting David Graves!!! ( well.. that’s how I see it anyway ). Come on out and join us!!

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 10:41 pm     Indy Steel Show

TTT Please

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 8:18 am    

Tomorrow’s the day! Come on out and join us. The talent level on stage tomorrow is going to be something you don’t want to miss!! Hope to see you there.

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2018 11:51 am     It was a good one!!!

Well, if you missed it yesterday you missed a good one! Charlie Morris kicked off the day
with some good dobro followed by Leon Mercer finishing up with Steel Guitar Rag. Jerry Fessenden kept everyone smiling with his collection of songs and did some neat stuff we hadn’t heard in a long time! He sounded wonderful. Club President Sharon Denny and the Gold Dust Girls kept the groove going. She gave us a great set including some real Hawaiian Steel Guitar as no one else can do. She even sang for us too. Mike Salley did a wonderful job and even sang a couple great Gene Watson songs. We have found out Mike does a great Foster Brooks imitation and once he gets started you don’t want him to stop. He’s hillarious. I had a great time and did my best to keep my mistakes to a minimum during my set. Remember, I said I “ tried.” Smokey McCoy did a great job singing some of the good old country songs including my favorite “ The Family Bible.” Smokey is as country as they come and his deeep voice just soothes the country soul.
Lloyd Wood gave a small sample of what his shows are like and the folks loved it!!! Lloyd has been entertaining all around for more than 50 plus years and they don’t come any better. From his singing voice to his comedy to his impersonations you can’t find a better entertainer anywhere!! If you ever get a chance to see Lloyd Wood perform...DO IT!!!!!
Dave Jackson and the Million Dollar Garage Band set the stage on fire!!!!! With everything from ballads to swinging jazz Dave has got it covered. His push-pull that he recently restored sounded PERFECT!! Adding in Bret Raper on fiddle completed the package like no other. They set the bar to the top!!!
Finally we were ready for Joe Wright and he never disappoints! Joe was in usual fashion and wound tighter than a two dollar clock! Joe’s comedy is always a crowd pleaser and his playing is unreal! He comes out of a stone cold crying country steel and burst right into ZZ Top and LaGrange! He did that amazing stuff for the next hour and a half! Joe knows his steel guitar probably better than anyone knows theirs. His tone, intonation and knowledge of the instrument is overwhelming. He even gave a quick demonstration of his teaching method and for those of us who think we don’t need it... we’ll, we’re wrong! He’s an excellent teacher. Joe finished out with a super version of House of the Rising Sun that was just over the top! So there you have it. See, I told you you missed a lot. Special thanks to the band members keeping us going all day.. Sheryl Cornelius, Nancy Pugh, Reva Brummet, Danny Jackson, Randy Raines and John Stith on bass. Thanks to our emcee Tom Sosbe for keeping us all straight and on time!! We’re already looking towards next years show so keep your calendar marked for the Indy Steel Show 2019!!!