The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Home build steel amp
Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2018 2:47 pm    

Hi Steelers,

I'm a semi-beginner PSG player who is handy with a table saw. I can't afford what I want in an amp, so I want to build one. I have built a bunch of guitar and bass amp cabs in the past - closed, open, ported, folded horn, etc.

My aim is to put an Eminence EPS15 into a homemade Baltic birch ply cab. That cab will have space and rails for an FX rack and a rack amp head.

Any advice as to what amp rack would be a good choice? Also, What FX rack?

I don't mind spending some $$, but I don't need anything super fancy- just a good solid clean amp that will be big enough to play with a typical country band. For FX, I want a good reverb, a good delay, and some amp mods.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me,
Al

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2018 3:07 pm    

The cost of buying all the necessary components you would need could easily get out of control. It would probably be far cheaper to pick up a clean used Peavey Session 400 or 500, or Vegas 400 or Nashville 400. Any of those would get you into the realm of a professional level amp.

If you really are determined to use your wood working skills, I'd be looking for a Stereo Steel amp head, or a Mosvalve power amp to pair up with any number of preamps, and an even greater number of reverb/delay units. This gets expensive fast.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2018 3:44 pm    

I’d keep the speaker and head separate. That way you can tweak while you play. You might look into the lightweight class d heads like the gk mb200, quilter pro-block, or others to keep it portable.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2018 11:55 pm    

I believe this is the best sounding reverb on the planet for pedal steel guitar (plus electric guitar and many other instruments):

http://www.demeteramps.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=79

It sounds better still if you use just the right amount of side chain gating. This unit will do the trick inexpensively:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-multigate-pro-xr4400-quad-expander-gate

Last edited by Steve Sycamore on 25 Jun 2018 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2018 2:21 am    

Quote:
semi-beginner PSG player

Don't reinvent the wheel. A good steel amp is what you want. You don't need amp modeling.

A 1X pine cabinet will be lighter than a baltic birch. My EPS-15C speaker cabinet is 1X12 (cut down) pine and its 23 lbs with the speaker installed. I have a baltic birch 2 piece steel guitar case and the 3/8" baltic birch is not all that light.

My two pice amp set is a Steelaire Rack amp and the mentioned EPS-15C speaker. I use a POD X3 for effects only, no amp modeling (not needed).

My take on amp modeling. If you want a Fender Twin Reverb sound, then buy a Fender Twin Reverb, if you want a Marshall sound then buy a Marshall.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2018 6:48 am    

I'm going to comment here. This is not to offend anyone.

If the gentleman wants to build and amp, go for it.

There are many hobbies dying because there are too many users and not enough makers. Ham Radio, RC Planes, Steel Guitar, etc.

People would rather buy it ready to use that to learn the theory, mechanics and electronics of it.

This gentleman could well come up with the next best steel amp to hit the market.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2018 8:08 am    

You got your Duck´s Worth there! I will add:
If you want to build an Amp to get that custom unit just like you always wanted, go for it.
If you want to build an Amp so you can say with Pride: ´I built that!´ then go for it.
If you want to build an Amp because you enjoy making stuff, go for it.
If you want to build an Amp to save money, I think that you will be disappointed.

As a personal aside, I am almost finished with a Custom Wah Pedal build. At this point I have about $130 into it. I could buy a nice new Morley for a little more than half that. So why build the Pedal? Because I enjoy this sort of thing and who knows maybe I´ll get a good pedal out of it, too.

So, I say go for it Allan and enjoy the Steel Guitar Journey!

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2018 8:39 am    

Allan said:

"I can't afford what I want in an amp, so I want to build one."

Sounds like run-away costs would be a major concern.

He didn't say nobody builds an amp that has all the features he wants.

So affordability is at least a major factor, if not the driving factor, as Allan has presented the issue.

Mark Fowler

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2018 3:18 am    

The OP said he wants to build a speaker cabinet with rack rails, what FX and rack amp do you recommend. He did not mention a preamp to drive that amp nor building his own equipment.

Hit the for sale section to find some FX units cheap enough to try out or your local sellers listings or guitar stores.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2018 9:02 am     Re: Home build steel amp

Sorry for my off-topic post. Funny, when the OP said:

Allan Haley wrote:
Hi Steelers,
... I can't afford what I want in an amp, so I want to build one. ...Thanks for any guidance you can give me,
Al

I thought that meant that he wanted to build an amp. I do stand by my Original Statement that for most people most of the time, building your own Equipment is NOT a good way to save money. It can of course be all the other fun things that I mentioned.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 7:01 pm    

Buy a GK MB200 bass amp and a good spring reverb unit like a "Sole Mate". I am a die-hard tube amp guy and this is what I use for my "quick setup" pedal steel rig.MB200's are voiced for a very full frequency range, which is what's n3ded by modern bass players.

You can find MB200's for $2-300 and a Sole Mate for under $150. Buying parts a good speaker will run you $150. Have you built acoustically-sound cabinets or wooden boxes that hold speakers? I don't mean that unkindly, but most amateur cabinet builders don't understand acoustics.

By the time you get a decent preamp, power amp and speaker you'll be over the price of my rig before you buy one piece of wood.

There are other amps/reverbs you can get a swell and all will cost less and be less hassle than the modular system you're thinking of.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional