The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gruhn Guitars selling Tom Brumley's ZB Custom D-11
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 3:27 pm    

http://guitars.com/inventory/eu2971-1966-zb-custom-d-11-pedal-steel

EU2971, ZB Custom D-11 pedal steel, 1966, EXC, owned and used extensively by Tom Brumley throughout his career. Tom was instrumental in the creation of the "Bakersfield Sound", his earliest work was between 1963 and 1969 playing steel guitar for Buck Owens and the Buckaroos. He continued to play steel guitar in recordings and performances with Rick Nelson, Chris Isaak, Merle Haggard, Glen Campbell, Waylon Jennings, Ray Price, Reba McEntire, Chris Hillman, Rod Stewart and Martina McBride. This custom built pedal steel was delivered to Tom in 1968 and used on many recordings throughout his career as well as on The Buck Owens Ranch, The Jackie Gleason Show and The Merv Griffin Show. Also used on the "Live in Japan" and "Live at Carnegie Hall" albums. Two eleven string necks, two knee levers and eight pedals, comes with original hard case. ...$25,000.00

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 7:07 pm    

Where's Marty Stuart when you need him? Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 7:12 pm    

Drool, Drool and more Drool. What a wonderful guitar. I would love to own it just to look at. The History it has is like none other. The "Live at Carnegie Hall" concert gives you the true sound of this beautiful guitar. Nothing else comes close to it. Tom was such a wonderful man and I will always miss him. J.R.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 5:18 pm    

IMHO George has certainly over-estimated the amount of discretionary dollars floating around the steel guitar world. At 25K, I'd estimate the number of buyers giving serious consideration to this guitar would be few indeed.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 7:48 am     Zb

Perhaps it will end up in a museum or private collection of a well-off country music fan. Whoa! Shocked

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 9:58 am    

My first guitar was a ZB D-10.

By back hurts just looking at it.

It is beautiful in black, though.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 10:27 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
IMHO George has certainly over-estimated the amount of discretionary dollars floating around the steel guitar world. At 25K, I'd estimate the number of buyers giving serious consideration to this guitar would be few indeed.

Herb, as you have done so many times, you've stated a reality very eloquently and I concur with your assessment.

Now, who would like to provide a charitable gift to me of, oh, let's say $25 grand. Very Happy

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 7:15 am    

Glenn Suchan wrote:

Herb, as you have done so many times, you've stated a reality very eloquently and I concur with your assessment.

Now, who would like to provide a charitable gift to me of, oh, let's say $25 grand. Very Happy

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Glenn
I could provide you with a grand charitable gift of $25 (2 of my CDs), but that's about it.

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 7:38 am     Will the Real Year Please Stand Up?

Quote:
This custom built pedal steel was delivered to Tom in 1968 and used on many recordings throughout his career as well as on The Buck Owens Ranch, The Jackie Gleason Show and The Merv Griffin Show. Also used on the "Live in Japan" [January 1967] and "Live at Carnegie Hall" [March 1966] albums.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 2:26 pm    

This guitar is serial #1039 and was invoiced to Tom on July 13th, 1966. It IS the very 1st D-11 that Zane built. It has solid stainless changer fingers and is set up for 3 raise and 3 lower. The guitar was used on countless records, the Ranch Shows, Live in Japan album and several T.V. shows. It is not the Carnegie Hall guitar. That guitar was a D-10 ZB, ser.# 1009. I have had this guitar in my home and played and looked it over. It is untouched since Tom played it with Buck in the 60's. Completely original as Tom left it. It sounds incredible and plays so smooth. A real piece of history right there!!!

Greg

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 6:26 pm     # 1039

Yes, I believe that's the best steel guitar sound I've ever heard. Those Ranch shows were taped at WKY-TV in Oklahoma City, and I was fortunate to see the taping of ALL the shows over a several year period. Tom used this guitar on all shows, and it sounded incredible in the studio.

Bill

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 11:01 pm    

Aw man ..

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2018 6:37 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:

Yep, definitely. Oh Well

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2018 6:21 pm    

Do you think George will take $24.5?
J

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 7:06 am    

Thank You Greg Jones for making your post and setting the record straight. If anybody knows about this you do. In the years gone by I have posted on here that the Carnegie Hall guitar was a Green D-10 ZB. I was question about that so I never said anything about it again. Years back their was a store in Fort Smith, Ark. called Ben Jack's Guitar Center owned by Ben Jack. He had a large collection of guitars and in that he had a Green D-10 ZB that he claimed was Tom's and the one used on the Carnegie Hall Concert. He had the Album setting by the leg on the guitar and it was autographed to Ben from Tom. I asked Ben more than once about the Green guitar being the one used and he always said yes.
Ben's collection ended up many years ago with the guy that was building the MCI Guitars in Arlington, Tx. I cannot think of his name now. Maybe someone knows who I am talking about. J.R. Rose from near Fort Smith, Ark.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 5:49 am    

live at carnegie hall was recorded in march of 66 so it was too early for this guitar delivered in 68. a little off topic but does anyone know if videos of the jackie gleason appearance can be seen somewhere? that was really dazzling. even my parents who were gene autry/roy acuff fans were impressed.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 6:18 am    

The guitar was delivered in 1966 in July, not 68. I think that may be a typo on Gruhn's part. The Carnegie Hall guitar was Brown aprons and blonde tops. You can see it in some of the early ranch shows. They put a red cover on the pedal rack to cut the glare for the TV cameras. I have a pic of it somewhere around here.

Greg

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 7:15 am    

B. Greg Jones wrote:
The guitar was delivered in 1966 in July, not 68. I think that may be a typo on Gruhn's part. The Carnegie Hall guitar was Brown aprons and blonde tops. You can see it in some of the early ranch shows. They put a red cover on the pedal rack to cut the glare for the TV cameras. I have a pic of it somewhere around here.

Greg

Interesting about the red pedal rack. I always thought that was the weirdest rack and what could Zane possibly have been thinking?

Now I understand. But couldn't they have found a black cloth? Wink

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 9:57 am    

Well Folks, I stand corrected again. Looks like Greg Jones has spoken and I trust in Greg. All I know is my comments about Ben Jack were as he told me and I had no reason not to believe him, but, he was a salesman. Greg, Would like to see the picture of the one you described. Thank You, J.R.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 9:12 am    

J R Rose wrote:

Ben's collection ended up many years ago with the guy that was building the MCI Guitars in Arlington, Tx. I cannot think of his name now. Maybe someone knows who I am talking about.

You're talking about John Birkhead. There's a lot of guitars from Ben's collection that haven't surfaced in years. One of the steel community's mysteries... or was, anyway.

Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 8:48 am    

I've done biz with George G. and respect his "authority" on the value of vintage equipment. However, could the provenance of this guitar having belonged to Tom B. really add that much to its value? What's this worth if it wasn't Tom's guitar? Maybe $5K?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 9:26 am    

The magic was in the player, not the guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 5:53 pm    

Thanks Herb for the info. Yes it was John Birkhead. Do you know if he is still with us? J.R.