The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show Pro vs Williams
Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 8:27 am    

I love my Show Pro guitars , however I've never played a Williams. But it seems it will be easy for you to decide since Damir has a Williams for you to try and Jeff is just outside of Nashville as well. Best of luck in your decision.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 8:29 am    

Yes, the weightier guitar feels substantial... again, what I would call 'classic" build. The Williams is much lighter although doesn't "walk" or feel insubstantial when played. The pedals on the Williams are aluminum channel stock, and feel/ look somewhat cheap to me, but they play perfectly, and the undercarriage stops are solid and tight. Apples and oranges of a kind. The topside finish on my guitar rivals any laquer job I've seen. Again, it would be great to be able to play several individual guitars of each brand to see what really rings your bell.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 10:45 am    

David Friedlander wrote:

The weight also gives the Showpro a more solid ( and expensive) feel.

in that respect, i've had several 'expensive' feeling
guitars.

that's kinda funny in an era that has put so much emphasis on lightwejght guitars.

Andrew Keenan

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 6:26 am    

Thanks for all the replies! I wound up buying Damir's Williams 700 S-10. Looking forward to taking it out on the road this weekend for a test drive!

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 10:21 am    

Andrew, I really enjoyed talking to you... this is a great sounding, and playing, light weight guitar... and on top of that comes with a wheeled case... I am sure you will be very pleased with this instrument...

your pal

damir

ps

donation to the forum going out shortly...

David Friedlander

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 11:18 am    

Sweet looking axe!!

Congrats, I'll bet you'll be back with a rave review next week

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 11:34 am    

Terrific and unique Williams there. I might have considered it if it were keyless.

I've no experience with Show-Pro guitars, but I let a really nice lacquer keyless Williams 400 get away. It was a fine playing and sounding instrument with a friendly footprint and a tote factor that wouldn't break your back. Wish I still had it.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 11:27 am    

That is a beauty, love the finish.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 11:58 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Andrew, human nature being what it is, everybody is going to tell you that the brand they play is the beat.

Not everybody, Mike! Winking As you've already said, they're all pretty good, now. Pick one you like, Andrew, and start playing. Cool

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 10:38 am     Williams

I have a Williams 12 string that I bought here on the forum, and have to say that it is a really nice guitar I love the changer ... never breaks strings, and it is a breeze to change them, never a fight to get them to stay in the changer like my Emmons... the sound is kind of dark compared to the Emmons... maybe wood instead of metal neck makes the difference... my thoughts are you can get use to any sound you have if you play it enough...

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 2:33 pm     Williams

I have a Williams 12 string that I bought here on the forum, and have to say that it is a really nice guitar I love the changer ... never breaks strings, and it is a breeze to change them, never a fight to get them to stay in the changer like my Emmons... the sound is kind of dark compared to the Emmons... maybe wood instead of metal neck makes the difference... my thoughts are you can get use to any sound you have if you play it enough...

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 3:44 pm     Re: Williams

Ron Shalita wrote:

Having both Williams.Keyless wood single neck. Williams D-10 8x7 keyless, metal neck. I have AB'd them side by side. There's not 2 cents difference in sound, The only difference I see is the wood neck stays in tune better if you are outside in the heat. Difference is negligible, and I have played Williams for 32 years. Both single neck and double neck are great guitars. Hopo this helps someone

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 9:55 pm     Psg

Cross shafts are round on the ShowPro guitars which is why I didn't buy one 6 or 7 years ago. Great guitars. You'll find the Williams with square cross shafts are much easier to make changes with also. Check the Williams website, as they have weight info and everything else listed. Good luck.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 10:13 am    

Don't overlook the Desert Rose Vintage Pro, which I believe comes stock with 2 pickups and a blend switch, for great tonal variety. Chuck Back is a great builder and guy to deal with. He also makes 12-strings, uni or extended E9. For sound, check videos of Gary Morse and Dan Tyack.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 2:27 am     Re: Psg

[quote="Billy Carr"]Cross shafts are round on the ShowPro guitars...

Show Pro cross shafts are round, however there is no slip whatsoever. I own purple Show Pro #164 and have a D10 being built right now.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 2:43 am     Show Pro

Lovin my Show Pro...

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...

Billy Carr

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 5:30 am     Psg

I really like the purple lacquer guitar. Nice. Thanks.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 5:44 am     Show Pro

My new one will be two tone purple and natural. 9&7.

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 5:38 pm    

John McClung wrote:
Don't overlook the Desert Rose Vintage Pro, which I believe comes stock with 2 pickups and a blend switch, for great tonal variety. Chuck Back is a great builder and guy to deal with. He also makes 12-strings, uni or extended E9. For sound, check videos of Gary Morse and Dan Tyack.

John is right. You should check out the Desert Rose. I feel they are worth way more than Chuck Back charges! Light weight, very tidy undercarriage, beautiful lacquer finish,stays in tune, can't go wrong!

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 5:57 am    

So how did this thread drift? It's about the comparison between Show- Pro and Williams guitars. Nothing was said about Desert Rose.

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 8:22 am    

Andrew Keenan wrote:
Thanks for the reply Mike. I have tried out a handful of other steels over the years. I wish I could try them all! I have played GFI for many years and it has served me very well. I've decided that it's time try something new. Based on some friends' recommendations and some sounds I've heard I had narrowed down my search to these two. I'd certainly be interested in hearing other people's favorites and what they like about them!

-Andy

OP said he was interested. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 9:25 am    

Andrew's post was from 2 years ago.

Looks like he purchased a Williams from Damir.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 7:48 pm     Re: Psg

Billy Carr wrote:
Cross shafts are round on the ShowPro guitars which is why I didn't buy one 6 or 7 years ago.

Mr Gary Rittenberry went from hex shafts to round for his new Prestige model a few years ago. For tonal reasons, I gather. Food for thought
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Billy Carr

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 2:19 am     Psg

Gary Rittenberry builds a great guitar, as Show Pro, Williams and several others do. I've owned two RB's. Currently I'm playing a Williams. The purple SP on this section is a beautiful guitar ! Thanks.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 6:53 am    

After 20 years with my Zum steel, I ordered a D10 Williams that I should take delivery of this month (6 month wait).

I plan on doing a video review which currently there is nothing on YouTube about.

Still will keep my ZUM which I love. Tried a couple Williams' here in Nashville and they are excellent.

Ron