The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D'Addario NYXL Strings - I'm a Believer
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 12:09 pm    

I put a set of the NYXL strings on my D-10 Franklin 2 months ago. They were still going good but I finally changed them, yesterday, just to avoid the potential string breakage due to metal fatigue. I was changing strings about every 10 shows but no need with the NYXL's.

I've been using Bill Lawrence (what the Franklin came with when new) and then George L's after George Lewis bought the other half of L&L Sales. I've tried other brands over the years including the D'Addario Pro Steel XL's, what the Forum used to sell and the other brand advertised on the forum, but none worked out as good as the George L's.

I tried the NYXL strings as I received a "promo" set. I was due for string change so I gave them a shot. I am not a fan of the packaging and color coding of the strings VS the individual packaging but that was the only complaint.

I'll "eat crow" over my comments through the years about other brands and that I like George L's the best. Now its D'Addario NYXL's.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 12:15 pm    

+ 1 Jack
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 2:24 pm    

Jack - Is there any noticeable improvement in the sound (tone, timbre)?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 4:22 pm    

One thing for sure, Jack--you don't jump on fads.
So your post is duly noted.

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 6:54 pm     D'Addario NYXL Strings - I'm a Believer

Jack,
Haven't broken one yet in over three years.

Lee,
Yes big difference in mids

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 7:09 pm    

I’m with you! I’ve only found two string brands that I like. Nyxl or Livesteel.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 7:36 pm     NYXL strings

Hey Jack!
Which set are you using, the 12/38 or 11/38? I ordered 2 sets of 11/38 but I may try the 12/38 to see if they hold up plus I'm kinda interested in the 3rd being a 12. I've used SIT for many years before I switched to Rittenberry guitars. I have to take this moment to brag a little on Gary Rittenberry, but I have yet to break a string on either of my 2 Rittenberry guitars.👍

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 2:22 am    

The tone/timbre seems to be comparable to the George L's even though the George L's are SS on the wound strings. I'm using the same amp settings. That could change depending on the guitar and pickups and what brand of strings that has previously been used. My Franklin has Lawrence 710's. I didn't do much retuning of the pulls/lowers because the difference between SS and non SS. That may be because I'm using the 11 set on E9th and the string gauges are the same as the George L's ("Nashville"). Same way on the C6th neck, very little retuning required.

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 4:49 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
The tone/timbre seems to be comparable to the George L's even though the George L's are SS on the wound strings. I'm using the same amp settings. That could change depending on the guitar and pickups and what brand of strings that has previously been used. My Franklin has Lawrence 710's. I didn't do much retuning of the pulls/lowers because the difference between SS and non SS. That may be because I'm using the 11 set on E9th and the string gauges are the same as the George L's ("Nashville"). Same way on the C6th neck, very little retuning required.

Jack, Love your technical expertise on the forum. Your contributions are greatly appreciated. Would love to buy you lunch on my next trip down.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 4:59 am    

Jack - Would you say that the primary advantage, in your case, would be the extended longevity of the strings?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 5:15 am    

The longevity is a plus, especially in the humid Florida weather (and a must considering the price). I changed the first set after 2 months (16 shows plus a couple recording sessions). I'm going to leave the current set on until they go dead or I start to break strings from metal fatigue just to see how long they will last. I don't have the "sweaty palm" problem some do so strings generally last longer for me.

I changed George L's after 10 shows as I like the sound of new strings and to try and avoid any string breakage on a show. Sitting in a bar and a string breaks its not a big deal but it is on stage on a show backing a "name" singer.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 9:51 am    

Thanks, Jack.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 7:08 am    

I tried a set. They were on my new MSA a month and still sounded good but the 6 string broke and the 3rd didn't so I may buy another set.

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 7:11 am    

I am also getting ~2 months between changes. I just can't bring myself to let them go longer but they still sound good after all that time. Pretty amazing.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 4:33 pm    

I put a set of NYXL's on my 72 Emmons 05MAR18 and did both necks using the 11-38 and 12-70 nickel sets. They're still on, hold tuning well and still sound real good, although I suspect they're getting close to needing changing just because I know the feel and sound of a fresh set cant be beat. I wanted to "test" them out for overall longevity!

Bruce Repka

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 2:40 pm     packaging

do these D'addario strings come in the corrosion intercept technology plastic packaging? thanks!

Edit: Also, what makes these better than the EPS490 XL Strings they also sell?

Jason King

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 2:58 pm    

Jacob has been using them the last year and really likes them. Sound good and hold up very well.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 3:19 pm     Nyxl

I had them on my road guitar for over a year, but I do clean them good after playing!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 5:53 pm    

Same here with the NYXL's. Been using the strings and the cables now for over a year. Well satisfied with the tone. No broken strings. I change them once a year. I got my strings and cables from b0b. Using the solderless ends. Work great. Was a nickel wound, Ernie Ball user for years. I also used the George L's off and on. Sticking with the NYXL's for sure.

Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 6:28 pm    

I switched to them and haven’t looked back. They cost twice as much but last twice as long. I love having a .012 on the 3rd.

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 5:44 am    

I use the NYXLs on my regular 6-strings and really like them. Put a set on my PS last week and they sound great. It took a couple of hours of playing before the tuning stabilized though (yes I stretched them out when I put them on).

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 11:10 am    

I really like them for tuning stability and sound but does anyone else notice they are quite noisy when moving the bar? Same thing on my six string electrics, I can really hear the scrape of my fingers and bar against them as I move around. I was thinking of trying another brand next time I change sets just to hear the difference.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 9:27 am    

Jack I agree, no more rusty pitted strings, here in southeast Florida the humidity was doing a job to my strings that are packed in paper, I switched to the new D'Addario NYXLs, their sealed packaging is the way to go.
The 3rd string on my Franklin, EMCI and MSA refuse to break, they just keep on "tickin and take a lickin".

Great choice for the bucks.

Bob sells them.