The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How is the scene in Fort Worth/Dallas area?
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 3:21 pm    

I had a visit with my cousins husband who has played Bass in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and much of Texas for many years. He said several Bars/Clubs/Dance Halls and Opry Venues have closed their doors and no longer offer the music we so love, classic country. They are few and far between. This really saddens me even tho I know those of us from this Golden era of country music are slowly but surely fading away, I somehow hoped Texas would weather the storm. He also named some GREAT steel players that have or are close to hanging it up. So sad.
Sorry for the "downer", just had to let it out. On the bright side....I am still enjoying picking in our music room. And talked our daughter Stephanie into doing her "Legendary Ladies of Country" show here at the theatre on September 6. Been about 5 years since the last time. Really having fun working up those old great songs again. She does Loretta, Tammy, Dottie & Patsy in costume. FUN!!!
Left to right:
Grandson Beau-Guitar, my Wife Barb-Keyboard/Bass, Me-Steel, Stephanie-sings the Ladies & Grandson Josh-Drums. They are Stephanie's sons.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 5:30 am    

I've worked the D/FW area from the mid 70's until now and while the good times are over for good,there's still enough places to stay busy if you network on social media.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 5:45 am     How is the scene in Fort Worth/Dallas area?

hi NEIL,
hope to make it up there this summer. are there and classic country bands in your area playing around town
would like to come up and vist. also, just another shobud pack a seat. now i need a shobud guitar Smile

paul wade

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 6:29 am    

Don't listen to the old farts (and I am one) who think that the Stockyards are the last bastion of country music in the DFW area. And that all good steel players are retired and dying off.
There are tons of venues and young country musicians all over the place, and it's growing like crazy. These venues may not be your traditional honky tonk where the bands play Paycheck and Price shuffles over and over while people mindlessly dance in a circle and never applaud the band. The venues today are more family friendly with food, craft beers, truck yard, style with indoor/outdoor stages with a dance area if you want to dance, or if you want to just sit and enjoy live music with friends.
The other types of venues are just listening rooms or theaters where you pay to hear someone without worrying about loudmouths in the audience. They get kicked out.
DFW also has several radio stations that play Texas artists. Venues work with these stations and showcase local talent and original music.
So if you are not willing to change along with the times and embrace new music, artists, venues, etc.....then it's probably time to retire

Neil Lang

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 6:45 am    

Thanks Chris......Glad the steel is not dead in DFW yet!!! You are right....however, when I do play, I will play what I love....even if it is living in the past! Rolling Eyes
We do many other styles also, wife is musical director for Beauty and the Beast at the moment, I am doing sound for that show. Love all types of music, one of my grandsons (not pictured) Miles, is a Rapper, (Writer).
We also love 30's, 40's and 50's music and play it.
BUT....I am talking Pedal steel in this post. Smile
Wishing all the best!!!
Neil

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 7:09 am    

I'm talking pedal steel too.
I play with these younger kids playing Loretta, Paycheck, Haggard, Leona Williams, Webb Pierce, and on and on.

Neil Lang

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 8:33 am    

You win. Very Happy But....RED DOG is better than Lone Star!

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 9:42 am    

Neil Lang wrote:

Not sure what that means, but anything is better than Lone Star

Neil Lang

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 10:03 am    

Chris, That same guy from Texas also told me that "Anything is better than Lone Star"!!! I told him I couldn't go to Texas and not have a few Lone Stars and that I actually kinda liked it!! Ha!
The best to ya, and keep on a pickin'!!! Smile

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 10:12 am    

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:
Neil Lang wrote:

Not sure what that means, but anything is better than Lone Star

Chris, I believe Neil is talking about Red Dog, a lager-style beer which was/is brewed by the Plank Road division of the Miller Brewing Company:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Red-Dog-Beer-12-12-fl-oz-Bottles/20613737

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Neil Lang

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 11:39 am    

Right on Glenn!!! $15 for a case of 30!!! Can't beat the price, and it is very smooth!! I believe there was a country song about it afew years ago called "Red Doggin' Again". Whoa!

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 12:11 pm    

I might have to check out Red Dog

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 7:50 pm    

What Chris said. Plenty of work in and around Ft Worth, $$$ wise also. All kinds of music styles. Fortunately all the musicians that move to TX go straight to Austin, which has become just like Nashville. Hasn't happened here thankfully.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 4:48 am    

I play in FW once in a while, I think Chris nailed it. There is a lot of new music and venues that are pretty cool. You can go with the flow (it's not all bad by any means) or stay home.

I like Lone Star, but it has to be in a bottle..

I was playing at some club a few weeks ago, and they had two beer prices, domestic and import. Shiner Bock was on the import price list. Hmmm... Guess I should have shown the bartender a map. Of course it was Austin, so maybe Shiner is a foreign country in that regard?

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 7:31 am     "Imported" Shiner Bock???

Bill Terry wrote:
I was playing at some club a few weeks ago, and they had two beer prices, domestic and import. Shiner Bock was on the import price list. Hmmm... Guess I should have shown the bartender a map. Of course it was Austin, so maybe Shiner is a foreign country in that regard?

Laughing Good one, Bill... made me laugh out loud!

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 9:37 am    

Bill Terry wrote:
I play in FW once in a while, I think Chris nailed it. There is a lot of new music and venues that are pretty cool. You can go with the flow (it's not all bad by any means) or stay home.

I like Lone Star, but it has to be in a bottle..

I saw Carp blow up at a bartender for charging him $5 for and import Shiner Bock
"It's made here in F**king Texas"!

Neil Lang

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 10:23 am    

Whats the "Carp" up to? Is he doing any pickin' or selling real estate Or both? Love that guy's pickin'!!!!
We gotta introduce him to the "Red Dog"! Laughing

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 1:15 pm    

Chris wrote:
I saw Carp blow up at a bartender for charging him $5 for and import Shiner Bock
"It's made here in F**king Texas"!

I actually argued with the guy for about 30 seconds, he wasn't budging, but he also had no explanation..

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 5:19 pm    

I am newer to the scene than most here but I get the feeling there is a lot of work to be had if you are willing to work at it a bit and network. All my time goes to one group currently which is probably different than most steelers in the area.

I wanted to add that Gary Carpenter is doing well and has gone above and beyond in setting up my guitar. He plays a Thursday night gig in Granbury at a golf course there.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 5:58 pm    

Dallas/Fort Worth no doubt has a much bigger musical scene than my playground, Sacramento. But I bet a lot is similar. Classic country, heavy on steel guitar, doesn't get a lot of play time in the bigger dance clubs. But it is still plenty popular when you play private parties, corporate events, miscellaneous fund-raisers, and weddings. Plus the non-bar gigs generally pay much better. Your band just needs to market itself where the money is. Don't limit yourself to the bars.