The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Split Personality
Mark Hepler

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 6:40 am    

The winner of this steel guitar smackdown gets a participation trophy.

First, match the Tele lines in Los Lobos’ One Time, One Night, through the whole song, without choking.

Good? Okay, now try it in front of 300 people.

Still good? Now play back to back solos behind Zac Brown’s Chicken Fried—no cheating.

So, here’s my First Weird Dichotomy: it’s easier to choke on mid tempo solos than on fast or slow ones. Ignore practicing them at your own peril.

Sports training teaches us that there are two muscle groups: slow & fast. Maybe mid-tempo songs promote choking because the two groups are at odds; or maybe there’s slightly more time to think and interrupt the flow.

Or maybe it’s just me.

Second Weird Dichotomy: I find myself cutting my treble a hair on fast songs—using the Emmons tone knob or Sarno Freeloader. I like more treble on slow songs, contrary to what seems like common sense.

Anybody else wonder about this stuff or notice it? Anyway, have a great summer weekend!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 1:51 pm     Re: Split Personality

Mark Hepler wrote:

Second Weird Dichotomy: I find myself cutting my treble a hair on fast songs—using the Emmons tone knob or Sarno Freeloader. I like more treble on slow songs, contrary to what seems like common sense.

Anybody else wonder about this stuff or notice it? Anyway, have a great summer weekend!

I don’t have a tone control on the steel, but use a couple or three footswitchable eq settings. On slower tunes, the tone can be mellowed by picking further away from the pickup without losing the high end sweetness. Having plenty of treble is also great for doing ballad-y harmonics. On faster tunes, I want a more aggressive pick attack so I move my hand back towards the pickup and dig in, which tends to accentuate the treble end of things and can sound a little plinky. That’s where I would stomp on an alternative eq.

I’m not gonna touch the first part of your post, so that probably disqualifies me... Cool

Mark Hepler

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 8:43 am     Re: Split Personality

Fred Treece wrote:
Having plenty of treble is also great for doing ballad-y harmonics. On faster tunes, I want a more aggressive pick attack so I move my hand back towards the pickup and dig in, which tends to accentuate the treble end of things and can sound a little plinky. That’s where I would stomp on an alternative eq.

I think you nailed part 2, so I'll give you an honorable mention Smile Hadn't thought of the hand position aspect, but I bet that's it!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 6:43 am    

I want the tab to One Time One Night!!!

Mark Hepler

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 2:16 pm    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
I want the tab to One Time One Night!!!

Your tab's in the mail . . . ha!

Although Brumley already nailed it decades ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2VLIO14dns