The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Year that Bruce changed style of Bell cranks an more
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 7:52 am    

What year did Bruce put new style bellcranks on the Zum Steel? And change too a three over three changer plus a side mount pedal connection? Plus the extruded pedal bar.

Last edited by Johnie King on 1 Jul 2018 1:28 pm; edited 4 times in total

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 1:41 pm    

Late 90's .... I had a 97 Zum at one stage and it had the newer bellcranks - but still the older style pedals - The newer extruded pedal bar and side attached pedals came about 2000-2001 !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 10:42 pm    

I’ve seen opinions voiced on this forum, that the earlier style bell cranks(and guitars) are just as good as the later ones. So your word, “improvements” is subjective.
J

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 3:56 am    

According to Bruce it was an ease in manufacturing thing. Without having to drill the tiny hole for the roll pin, it was quicker to build pullrods. I like the new bellcranks because the screw is vertical, easier to get to and because the pull rod doesn’t have to go thru other bellcranks on the way to the changer. Also the new bellcranks are just the right width so a rod can attach from either side. The old ones had the advantage of not needing a keeper.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 4:04 am    

Late 90s is about right. My 2001 Zum U12 has all newer style parts, my '94 D10 is all older-style (comb bellcranks, thin pull rods with roll pins, etc.) parts.

I like both guitars a lot. Playability, feel, sound are excellent. But my opinion is that the newer style undercarriage parts are definitely an "improvement". To me, they feel more solid, and are easier to work with when making undercarriage changes. The thin pull rods with the tiny hole are more prone to breakage - you need to be extremely careful when pulling these parts apart. I have considered upgrading the undercarriage of the D10 to newer parts, and may do it.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 4:30 am    

I agree with you Dave except I own three Zums with comb bellcranks one of which is a 1980. I have a friend with an 84. We’ve never had a pullrod break. Not saying it doesn’t happen but it’s evidently not very common.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 4:47 am    

The break only happened when I tried to take the pull rod out of the bellcrank. There was so little material around the tiny hole that it cracked around the hole. On this particular guitar, I need to be oh-so-careful when moving pull rods.

This happened when I first got the guitar and converted it to my setup. Otherwise, no issues at all.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 6:51 am    

10-4. I think maybe the new rods are less sensitive to temperature change than the aluminum rods were. Maybe my imagination.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 1:17 pm    

sound is subjective but the way Zums pedal I don’t see how it could be better plus the knees work really well.