The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Guitars used on movie soundtrack?
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 9:44 am    

A while back, somebody posted here regarding a movie soundtrack being produced that used a group of about 50 pedal steels to produce some of the soundtrack / effects for a movie. Anybody remember that, and could point me toward the post? I've searched to no avail.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 11:42 am    

You might be thinking of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvQOa8CN-gI

I was fortunate to be included as one of the 8 guys on the sessions! Not exactly 50, but who knows exactly how many tracks were used? Besides myself, there was Skip Edwards, Boo Bernstein, Marty Rifkin, Chas Smith, John McClung, Peter Freiberger, and of course Jay Dee Maness.

It was a "sampling session" for Hans Zimmer's score for the movie "Super Man-Man of Steel"...meaning the raw sound of 8 steels was captured digitally and the sound was played back on a keyboard to mimic an orchestra of steel guitars. (you won't hear Way to Survive on this score Wink ) We recorded for 4 days at Warner Bros on an orchestral sound stage. Each day, we set up our gear to be recorded in quad sound as if we were a violin section one day on the left of the conductor, violas the next day to his right, cellos in the middle, contra bass in the back on the last day etc. (honestly I could be wrong about exactly where we were placed, but you get the idea)

It was an incredible experience I'll never forget. I'll always cherish hanging out with the guys for those 4 days... even though it's next to impossible to identify the steel in the sound track unless you know what to look for. Cool

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 11:44 am    

It was only 8 of us, and it was for the Superman movie, "Man of Steel".
I haven't seen the movie, but people tell me you can't tell there's any steel anywhere… it was all done for effect.
It was Jay Dee, Boo Bernstein, Peter Freiberger, Marty Rifkin, Chas Smith, John McClung, Rick Schmidt and yours truly.
All in all, a fun week… a great hang with pals, good $$ & excellent catering.

Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 8:12 pm    

There was a presentation in San Pedro produced by John McClung. Did any body record that? I'd like to have a CD of it. Doug Livingston was also in it.

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2018 4:17 am    

Rick Schmidt wrote:
You might be thinking of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvQOa8CN-gI

Really nice job, Gents!

It was enlightening to know that Hans Zimmer was interested in using actual pedal steel guitars for his audio vision. So much today could just be done with one person using various synthesis methods.

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2018 6:29 am    

The movie is pretty awful, but the four days of tracking and eating, and getting to hang out with each other, as well as Hans Zimmer and Peter Asher, were mighty cool. We went in the first day having no idea what we were in for, and I kind of expected a call that night to just come in the next day and pick up our gear. Instead Hans' team had been working with the tracks and what we heard back was incredible. Unfortunately you really can't hear anything like that in the film. A once in a lifetime experience, unfortunately.

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 7:31 am    

Here's a pic of us with Hans and some of his staff.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 7:50 am    

Quote:
The movie is pretty awful, but the four days of tracking and eating, and getting to hang out with each other, as well as Hans Zimmer and Peter Asher, were mighty cool. We went in the first day having no idea what we were in for, and I kind of expected a call that night to just come in the next day and pick up our gear. Instead Hans' team had been working with the tracks and what we heard back was incredible. Unfortunately you really can't hear anything like that in the film. A once in a lifetime experience, unfortunately.

Unfortunately? Peter, what were you expecting? Confused

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 8:31 am    

I had no great expectations for the film. My expectations for the pay, however, were more than met! Also unfortunately, they're over too.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 10:00 am    

Far out.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 2:28 pm    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Far out.

...and solid.

Winking

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 11:18 am    

I hate to admit it, but I have some footage of the concert in San Pedro I produced featuring the 8 of us who did steel tracks for "Man of Steel," I moved out of state and pretty much dropped the ball. Hope to get it edited down and released in the near future. We all played songs at that show, everyone played great and it was a thrill to produce the show! Awe were our own backing band as well, plus the fabulous Maria Martinez on drums/percussion.

That experience was quite different, and one of the unexpected highlights of my playing career. Finally got to be friends with some of my fellow L.A. steelers!!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 11:20 am    

I hate to admit it, but I have some footage of the concert I produced featuring the 8 of us who did steel tracks for "Man of Steel," I moved out of state and pretty much dropped the ball. Hope to get it edited down and released in the near future. We all played songs at that show, everyone played great and it was a thrill to produce the show! Awe were our own backing band as well, plus the fabulous Maria Martinez on drums/percussion.