The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Julian Tharpe Recordings
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 7:30 pm    

Good evening steeler’s , I was able to look up some past post about Julian. Found some incredible recordings of him at the fuzzy duck club in Alabama, reason for the post is is I’m wondering if any of you guys have any other recordings of him live possibly? Also been studying him and have all of his Records except “Southern fried steel” if anyone has it for sale I would like to purchase it.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 5:18 am     julian tharpe?

cameron, do you play julians tuning? i might have the album, but it is not for sale and i don,t have a way to re-produce it....thanks jack

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 5:20 am    

Cameron Julian was such a great steel man not your every day player I would be interested in purchasing recordings of Julian especially the live recordings. Thanks. For your effort Johnie

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 5:21 am     Re: julian tharpe?

Jack Goodson wrote:
cameron, do you play julians tuning? i might have the album, but it is not for sale and i don,t have a way to re-produce it....thanks jack
I don’t play his tuning but I am a big fan of his style, thanks Jack

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 5:24 am    

Johnie King wrote:
Cameron Julian was such a great steel man not your every day player I would be interested in purchasing recordings of Julian especially the live recordings. Thanks. For your effort Johnie
hey there all the live recordings I have of him I have dug up on past post about him. Someone posted a Dropbox file full of Julian’s playing at a club called the Fuzzy Duck . Your right he’s not your everyday steel man, he was way ahead of his time. A stylist and pioneer for the instrument.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 5:27 am     julian

you ought to try his tuning, you can do it on a 12 or 14 string, i am going to buy back my old guitar just to be able to try it again....thanks jack

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 10:45 am    

His version of "Here's That Rainy Day" is a Prime example of how different he felt a song..

I only have "Picks and Mallets" and another unnamed album, and would love to have as much of his music as I can get..

I am willing to share via We Transfer with anyone..
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 11:52 am    

His version of "Here's That Rainy Day" is a Prime example of how different he felt a song..

I only have "Picks and Mallets" and another unnamed album, and would love to have as much of his music as I can get..

I am willing to share via We Transfer with anyone..
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 12:09 pm    

Hey Ray send me your email in a personal message and I will email you the albums I have.

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 5:46 pm     Re: julian

Jack Goodson wrote:
you ought to try his tuning, you can do it on a 12 or 14 string, i am going to buy back my old guitar just to be able to try it again....thanks jack

Hey Jack just curious on the perks of the tuning. Also is there any cons? I know everything is personal opinion.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 6:05 pm     jt,s tuning?

cameron, iguess there are perks and cons on most tunings, like you said it is more of a personal thing. i can play anything on the first eight strings that can be played on a standard e9th on all ten strings plus you have an e6th tuning without lowering or whatever. i will be kind of busy thru the weekend but next week i will send you the copedant and string gauges....thanks jack

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 6:50 pm    

Link to Julian's recordings at the Fuzzy Duck:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ny098n7i3abra8/AADueB3Rl-90nEmNhPx2WKE4a?dl=0&preview=Julian+Tharpe+with+the+Beau+Mundy+Express+at+the+Fuzzy+Duck%2C+Gadsden+AL+19+January+79+1A.mp3

More recordings:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ny098n7i3abra8/AADueB3Rl-90nEmNhPx2WKE4a?dl=

Sign up and into DropBox and you can download all 300+ MB of the recordings all at once.

Listen here from 5:33 to 6:00 as Julian talks about his tuning and turns a simple single note sequence in to a blistering string of notes:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Julian%20Tharpe/Julian%20Tharpe%20talking%20about%20his%20tuning%2019%20January%201979.mp3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 4:21 am     Julian Tharpe recordings

I only heard Julian live one time, with Ray Price. I talked to him after the show and noticed he was playing an Evans amp. He said it was the only amp he had found that would get his low notes properly.

Bryan Adams told me he spent a lot of time with Julian in Florida and learned a lot from him.

For those that don't know, Julian was the victim of a robbery gone bad outside a convience store. He was murdered with hammer blows to the head. Does anybody know if they caught the guy?

RIP Julian. You are remembered and missed.

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 6:32 am    

Pure gold Greg! Thanks for sharing ! I agree with you George he left us to soon , may he Rest In Peace . He will not be forgotten as long as the steel guitar is alive . What an innovator and pioneer long before his time

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 7:06 am    

Cameron, there is a CD of a jam that Dave A. Burley put together years ago. Several guitar and steel guitar heroes on it. There are only 4 tunes, but they are really long jams. Ea. musicians has a turn. All jazz numbers.

Julian plays on all of them. I dunno if that's something you'd be interested in or not, but I just wanted to pass it along.

Here's the link to cdbaby

Here's a chart that my good friend, the late Boogie Sherrard, gave me that he got from Julian back in '74. Boogie was a big fan on Julian's and played his tuning for a short while years ago. Hope you can make it out. Maybe blow it up a bit.

What an innovator. Very distinctive style.

Michael Tyne

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2021 11:58 pm     Julian Tharp

Live recording of Julian Tharp at his bar in Nashville in 1975.The name of the place escapes my memory now. It was located on the same side of the street as Tootsies and Sho Bud on Broadway. He had a house steel guitarist employed Chuck Bikley? in a 3 piece band. On this occasion Julian offered to play a couple of tunes. I believe he was just recovering from a hernia operation at the time.
https://youtu.be/YKRY7ARzy9M

Last edited by Michael Tyne on 24 Jan 2021 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Tyne

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2021 1:19 am     Re: Julian Tharp

[quote="Michael Tyne"]Live recording of Julian Tharp at his bar in Nashville in 1975.The name of the place escapes my memory now. It was located on the same side of the street as Tootsies and Sho Bud on Broadway. He had a house steel guitarist employed Chuck Bikley? in a 3 piece band. On this occasion Julian offered to play a couple of tunes. I believe he was just recovering from a hernia operation at the time.
https://youtu.be/YKRY7ARzy9M

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2021 7:11 am    

Michael, YT says the video is PRIVATE
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Michael Tyne

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2021 12:23 pm    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
Michael, YT says the video is PRIVATE

Hopefully corrected now.

Mike Tyne.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2021 11:15 pm    

Michael, I saw Julian play at the Demons Den in 1974 and it inspired me to buy a pedal steel guitar. I happened to be going through Nashville a little over a year later and stopped in and saw him play at his bar, the one you are talking about. I saw the house band play with the trio, probably the steel player that you mentioned, but I can't remember for sure what his name was. Later on, Julian came in and played, and he was amazing, as he was when I had seen him play the year before. He was playing the same 14 string Sho Bud that was on the Jet Age record and he did his infamous version of "Danny Boy" without using the bar. I had downloaded the Dropbox club gig, but the volume was real low and I never listened to it very much because of that. He was truly an amazing musician. I haven't clicked on that link yet, but I am looking forward to seeing it, it will bring back some great memories. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2021 11:31 pm    

Michael, thanks again for posting the video. I noticed that there is an older bus parked on Broadway in the picture that is posted next to the picture of Julian Tharpe in this video. I lived in Nashville for around 11 years and I got to know Pete Mitchell and Lynn Owsley while I was there. I remember both of them fondly telling stories about playing with Ernest Tubb and they would talk about an old bus that I think they called "The Green Hornet". I was wondering if anyone knows if that bus parked on Broadway in this picture was in fact the infamous "Green Hornet". It seems to look like the bus they would describe in their stories. I am not sure about the nick name, so it might have had a different name, but I know it was an older bus, and that it was green. I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone who sees this could identify it.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2021 10:20 am    

Hey Bob, That may be Ernest Tubb's old bus and I did say maybe. He did at times park it in front of his record store I think. Their are people on here that can tell you if they see the post. J.R. Rose

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2021 10:33 am    

I also saw Julian with Price back late 60's or 70 at Panther Hall. Drove from Wilburton, Ok to see them. Spent the night. It was a good show but something was not clicking. I was just learning steel and did not know he played a 14 string. That was different. I think he was over playing. Price seemed to be upset. But Julian could play a handful of steel guitar. J.R.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2021 10:27 am    

I had the pleasure of seeing Julian and Blondie with Ray Price somewhere around 1969. I haven't been the same since.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2021 6:36 pm    

Yes Tom Keller, Blondie & Julian went together like butter. It was a good show. J.R.